Possible Run Of Cf Fenders For 86/87 Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i have a guy who's job is to make moulds for fiberglass for a living i also have a friend that makes kayak's out of CF and two clean fenders to make the moulds from i don't know what the cost would be yet but the mould guy is gonna make moulds the CF guy is kinda well i'm not gonna promise CF fenders but it may be a possibility I'll see if and how long it takes him to make a set but he does nice work the fiberglass is more likely don't know pricing but who would want some fiberglass and how much do you think they should cost i'm thinking at least 275 a set plus shipping

Rarebud

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 CRX 1500
QUOTE (1styearSI @ Jun 12 2009, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at least 275 a set plus shipping

O.o crazy man tongue.gif ... i bought both left and right fenders plastic for a sum of about 273... i think fiberglass fenders will shoot around 600 a set or so... not including shipping.

though, i'd buy a pair biggrin.gif

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
Not interested in fenders, but i would be 100% interested in some lower door panels (outer)

evillikeme

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 Honda CRX, 89 Acura Integra, 72 Chevy El Camino
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (funkmaster @ Jun 13 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not interested in fenders, but i would be 100% interested in some lower door panels (outer)

I would also be interested in a set of lower door panels or possibly both depending on price and what material they are made of.
Just call me Chuck, cause I don't give a f@*k!

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS
well cf fenders sound cool, but i would only be willing to buy some if they flared out more .
Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

JMSBND

• HONDA MANIAC
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1972 Honda N360, Honda Coupe 9s, Honda 1977 Civic, Honda 1986 JDM CRX ZC, 2003 Honda S2000
I am very interested!
My private collection:1972 Honda N360 Scamp; 1972 Honda Coupe 9s; 1973 Honda EB Civic Hatch; 1987 JDM ZC CRX; 2003 Honda S2000

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
We had some made up from a set of mold forms a member had done. Worked out at about $300 a pair around three years ago. That was picked up from the shop (which was a fibreglass boat repair place)
This was in Perth Western Australia - think other side of the planet.

To help your mold guy, if the mold is one piece its pretty hard to get the fender out because of the varying curves - particularly the front light area. A two part bolted together mold is much easier to use.
Also, you can get two types of mold - normal fibreglass which is cheaper to make but gets tired; or a proper one. You may need to make an economic decision on which one to do.
I'd also suggest working in a strengthening strip along the edge that abuts the door to stiffen up the panel along there; and not making a return edge along the lip of the wheel arch but thickening up the vertical as it reaches the lip - this is to reduce the interference with the tyre while also stiffening the lip - kind of rolling the lip effect.
Pay attention to where the fastening bolts go - its easy to be too narrow, or too thin there.
Carbon Fibre - a waste to my mind once its painted. Fibreglass is cheaper, and does the job.

Otherwise go for it. My glass fenders are great.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

simplyhonda

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 89 Wagon RT4wd, 1979 Civic 1200, 1986 Land Cruiser
    • Image Gallery
You know what I think! CF fenders - Yes, Yes!
Helping keep the first generation CRX alive!

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i knew people would want the door plastic and that has been discussed we will see about those but the side-skirts(rocker cover)is not happening as you can see in the crx sightings there just isn't enough demand

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
id love to get some cf fenders to go along with the cf hood that would be awesome

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
cf fenders would be cool. lol

CSPCRX

I like the idea but agree on the flared part. My stockers already rub the tires on tight turns and each side has a nice radius to it. CF isnt going to want to do that like the plastic did.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (HPDE-4 NASA & TA-AB Time Attack)

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS
yeah, my fenders are worn on the inside from the tires rubbing, i dont think the carbon fiber would take as kindly to it. besides, i bet there would be a lot more interest if it was flared more.

also i think the carbon fiber look would be nice along with the hood. kinda like this civic RR

Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

simplyhonda

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 89 Wagon RT4wd, 1979 Civic 1200, 1986 Land Cruiser
    • Image Gallery
That's sick!
Helping keep the first generation CRX alive!

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
im so ready for this to happen you have no idea perfect timing for me to i can spen about 1 grand and get parts that are light weight, strong and will last