Cf Rear Windows!

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
http://www.macqc.com...merprojects.htm
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Jan 8 2004, 12:57 PM)

Hmmmm....that gives me some ideas....
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Hmmmm?

You'd have to leave your original windows in as I believe the curved side windows in a gen 1 are actually a stress bearing part of the body.

Though if it's for race only and you have a cage I guess this isn't a problem.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I can guarantee that the side rear windows ARE NOT stressed. They are already made out of plastic so the weight savings is pretty small, combined with the loss of visability I do not see the point.

If you really want to save weight, replace the heavy rear hatch glass with lexan.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

87zc1crx

• slowpokin'
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '89 Nissan S12 turbo
    • Image Gallery
yeah the hatch weighs a ton!
cool stuff on that site though!
the 1g crx...a classic to be,cherish it and it'll love you forever.

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jan 8 2004, 12:58 PM)
They are already made out of plastic so the weight savings is pretty small, combined with the loss of visability I do not see the point.

If you really want to save weight, replace the heavy rear hatch glass with lexan.

My 87 Si's rear 1/4 windows are definitely glass, not plastic. They're light, though- I broke one in my parts car (also an 87 Si), and once I collected up all the pieces, it couldn't have been more than a couple pounds. I definitely agree with the Lexan hatch idea- especially since it's pretty flat, replacing it with Lexan shouldn't be too hard, and should cut a significant amount of weight.

agreziv86E-AS

good find!! ........heh......the sunroof idea is a good one....but a lil on the pricey side........
"Been there, done that"

87zc1crx

• slowpokin'
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '89 Nissan S12 turbo
    • Image Gallery
yeah i'll stick to glueing the existing panel in,gives it a stock look too.i kinda like that...no show..a lotta go
the 1g crx...a classic to be,cherish it and it'll love you forever.

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
yeh thats a good idea CF sunroof's for our Si's biggrin.gif

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jan 8 2004, 02:58 PM)
I can guarantee that the side rear windows ARE NOT stressed. They are already made out of plastic ...

I read in a magazine in the '80s that the rear window was structural, could be bs for all I know - but JDM are definatly glass, and if you've seen one that's been rolled the glass stays in place and definatly seems to add to the strength of the b-pillar.

Do you know which markets had plastic ones? Could be a nice cheap weight saving for my car...

RacePlates

Actually thats my car. I installed those windows a few months ago. Here are a few more pics.

About the lexan hatch, I did that

I actually did the hatch first and the entire car is pretty stripped so I looked around for a place to dump more weight. I thought why not use our plates... I don't have many more places to loose weight. The only bad part about the hatch is that in mid summer when the lexan heats up it bows slightly in the middle. At night or on cool days this isn't a problem. I used silver vinyl stickering to create a border and the CRX on the back of the car. It actually looks pretty good for a garage made unit. I dumped close to 50 lbs I think. Your right about the windows not weighing much but when your as stripped as me its hard to find another pound. I have been driving with these on the street for about 3-4 months. As far as visibility the crx is pretty short so I barely have to lean forward to see my blind spot. These carbon windows don't make any noise so I assume they aren't loaded. The factory windows were glass and the rp was good for abot 3 lbs each.

About the car: I installed a B16 w factory LSD and I/H/E and am making 155-156 at the wheels. Interior is painted primer black and the car only has a drivers seat. The drivers side door is the only thing on the interior not stripped. It sort of feels like your driving in a cave. The rear of the car has 750 Ground Control coli-overs and the car has been corner weighted for drag. The wheels are stock 4 hole crx wheels. The car weighs about 1800-1850 with me sitting in it. Also both front and rear bumper supports are gone and the hood is cf and weighs about 5 lbs. Its pretty fun to drive on the streets. Just thought I's share with you guys.

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
wow you did the whole hatch... nice.
you got any times yet?

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Could you show a pic of your carbonfiber hood...

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My HB weighs about that, and I haven't even started on the glass yet. Looks good!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
my hatchy SHOULD way that biggrin.gif

nice CRX! And good work done to it...long live Lexan laugh.gif
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^