• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Hello all,
I've been wanting JDM/EDM black-housed headlights for my 1G CRX. I've found some great prices from our fellow New Zealander's here on the site, Alex and Chris. However, even they are stretched a bit thin trying to find some at the moment. Additionally, while there shipping prices are very fair considering, the prices of shipping alone is almost as much as what they are asking for the ligths.

With an 18-month old and a teacher salary, I feel a bit foolish spending that kind of dough right now just to get the clean look of the black housing lights. I found this link today, and thought it was MOST helpful. Not sure why it is not connected to the related-topic in the Wiki section. Can a mod fix this?

http://www.redpepper...mp;#entry340813

Anyway, has anyone done this mod on CRX headlights with success? If I did this, would it basically look identical to the JDM/EDM headlights, or close enough to it that it would not matter too much?

I'm hoping this will solve the need to do a different header panel. I'd heard if you switch to the JDM/EDM lights, that you had to run the 84-85 header panel.

Seems like PowerWheels86 used a gloss paint for his lenses. I was thinking of using flat-black BBQ paint instead. What type of paint would most resemble the JDM/EDM lights?

OR: Should I scrap the whole idea, and just fork up the cash for the genuine lights. I don't mind forking up cash for quality parts. However, if I can do a DIY project and get very-close results, I actually find it personally more rewarding. Just wanted the forums advise, as I would HATE to mess up my nearly-perfect USDM chrome lights trying to go through with this.

I'll be running HID's through the finished set-up. I'm hoping that the flat-black paint will aid in the fact that I wont be running a custom-fabbed ion projector set-up. I know, hate all you want on this. I drive on plenty of back-rounds. I don't care about a clean cut-off. I just want the most light possible. I'll run a halogen high set-up, and just flip on the halogens when I don't want to blind folks.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
Get the genuine. 1st the lense is different. The US lenses have a pattern, ad the EDM/JDMs have less so, so it diffuese the light less. You get more light output. 2nd, I don't know why you'd need a 84-85 header panel. That might be only for the Civics, as the CRX uses the same basic header panel. The only difference is the 84-85 panels have little brackets for the buckets riveted on. If you end up painting your lenses black, I wouldn't remove the baffle. I myself, would ad a little shield to the top of the baffle to block too much upward glare if you do HIDs.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

agreziv86E-AS

This was taken 8 years ago when I did the write up in the wiki........

Edited by agreziv86E-AS, 13 December 2009 - 02:58 AM.

"Been there, done that"

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Get the real deal, it will never look rite.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (jdm4drda7 @ Dec 12 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get the real deal, it will never look rite.

I don't know....my manz up there looks PRETTY DARN right to me!! Thanks for the quick replies. Any more pics of your set up agreziv86E-AS?

I know what you mean, though. Usually the DIY don't look too good. However, looking up a few posts.....got me thinking this may actually work on our cars.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
eahatch did it and it looked good. if you don't have money, just DIY man. just like rotas, no one should really care about the real deal or not. if it looks good to you, do it. smile.gif :thumbsup:
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
Get the Real Thing! Seriously the improved light output is worth way more than just the "JDM look". Buy the real thing and you get the best of both worlds. No need to change the header panel. Please for the sake of everyone else on the road do not install aftermaket HID units - they blind everyone.

sig1.jpg

flashmatrix

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Lexus GS300
I havent done the black housing mod yet, but I absolutely love my 4300k Hids.

The switch was a night and day difference, literally. laugh.gif
If you want the look and dont have OR wanna spend the cash, just DIY.

"Your arms are too short to box with GOD."

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
they do offer better light output.

flashmatrix

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Lexus GS300
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Dec 13 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they do offer better light output.

So does my HID kit

"Your arms are too short to box with GOD."

enduser

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 89 jdm EF9 E55 AMG
I did the diy black housing on my bugeye suby with HID and loved it
until I did the jdm set up with the remote cabin leveler.
I recently did the Edm setup with 4300k hid on my 3g I will
say the same nothing beats the real deal well worth the money....
I got the setup from Alex too. Also if you decide to diy make sure
to use satin black. The lights I have are in NIB condition so looking into them
it's clear to see that satin black will seal the deal to make to make them look
really close to the original look you want.

Project White Devil

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thanks all for your replies. All of them are great, as always.

I'm usually inclined to do whatever 1gencrx say's, as I have a lot of respect for his car and they way he put his build together.

Trust me, I would love to push some genuine EDM or JDM lights around town. However, my main priority right now with the CRX is to get it lower to the ground. Thus, I'm about to drop some cash on a coilover set-up for the rear. So, here's what I believe I will do:

- Do the DIY black-housing mod and see how I like it on my spare USDM CRX lights. My spares have good lenses, but they are a bit rusted in side. I'll just sand this down, hit it with some rust-o-leum primer, and then use satin black paint as recommended here by Enduser.

- I'll then run a 5000K Xenon low/Halogen High set-up I found for around $60 shipped on Ebay, slim-ballast, german manufacturing. Seems like a solid kit for the money.

- I'll aim them as well as possible, and drive them around town and see if folks are getting blinded. If they are, I'll just flip on my halogen highs for all of the one-on-one, back roads confrontations. Hopefully the fact that the outer portion of the housing is painted black will hender some of the un-focused refractions.

- I'll then start searching for some genuine JDM corners to match them. The EDM's are nice, but if I went with EDM's, I'd want to purchase the clear bumper lights. Which is fine, but then what would I do about mismatching orange JDM fender lights. Just doesn't line-up aesthetically. So, JDM corners it has to be. Plus, while I do joke around a bunch about copying 1genCRX's entire build, i don't really want my CRX to look like his verbatim (don't think he want's that too much either!).

If this set-up looks legit, I'll keep it, and sell my ultra-clean CRX headlight set to make up the costs of the HID kit. I won't be out a single buck for a cleaner and brighter lighting set-up.

If it doesn't work out: Looks horrible. I'll just put back on my nicer OEM set, and I'll only be out of a few hours of work and some rusty, unsellable headlights. I'll then wait for a nice EDM or JDM set to match my JDM corners.

If the HID's don't work out: I'll sell them, and re-coup about half of the cost of what I spent on them. No biggy. I'll take a $30 hit to risk not hitting a deer on a back road.

Enduser, can you post up any pics of your like-new EDM lights on this thread, just for reference of what I and others should be shooting for with our taping of the housing? I'd greatly appreciate it!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i think the EDM corners look just fine with the orange bumper lenses. that's what i'm rocking.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Same here.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage