Alternative Radiator For 87 Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

pack23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
All,
I have been looking for a new radiator to fit into my 87 Crx, since it is not cooling good anymore, the water pump, oil pump must also go...as for the radiator, is there any aftermarket type that is good for cooling the crx with a turbo? any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Jorge

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX
I used a radiator of a 92 Civic. Its halflength so it dosent interfere with my D16 and turbo. Only downside is that in order to add coolant you have to take the front facia piece between the hood and headlights off.
1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

Soo Much Boost, Soo Little Time.

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
We are planning to use the stock unit from a 87 Hf with our turbo car...

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the 87 hf one is a single core but the 92 ones are twin core so they flow/cool better. the whole time i had the turbo in my integra (before the engine/trans/turbo swap) i never had a problem with cooling.
1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I'm running an HF one in my turbo Civic, and it seems to keep up ok. Mine's autocross use only, but I have run track events (20 min at a time) and didn't have any problems. I've heard that some Neon's had a good sized dual core 1/2 width radiator that fits in some Honda's well, but I've never seen one in person.

-Chris

agreziv86E-AS

airjockie is using the 92-95 civic radiator....heres a pic.....

"Been there, done that"

pack23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
man, that is a tiny radiator... I like it...I like it a lot....so does it cool pretty good? I am just wondering how to attach it...Also, how come you have to take the header panel off to add coolant? Is it becuase it is not wide enough? Do you guys have any pictures of the top? I like this one very much....I think I will get it for myne....

Thanks guys..

Jorge

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
where the 92 radiator is filled is right on top of the rad whereas the stock unit has a neck that comes around the header panel.
1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

wilq

• where am I and how did I get in this handbasket?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si b18a1 turbo(under restoration),87 crx hf dohc turbo,86 crx dx dohc,91 integra ls,76 Ford F350 4x4,04 Subaru WRX STI
    • Image Gallery
Heres a pic of the hf radiator in my dohc turbo hf.I drove 400+ miles to n9 this past summer and no problems with overheating on the highway.

old crxs never die they just get faster
The offical Chrisfdude ebay sniper club member &Team BUrnOUt member #2

pack23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If I get the HF radiator, do you still have to take off the header panel to fill it up? or does it have a neck to fill it from the side? I like both of those radiators, gives me enough room to put my intercooler, and my oil cooler, and the best thing is that the radiator is not right in front of the turbo....cool thanks guys...I probably will buy a new one so that I dont get one with leaks...thanks again..

jv

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
The HF radiator would fit like it belongs there. No header panel removal required.

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Is the HF radiator a better radiator than the SI? Would this be considered an upgrade? I want to replace the radiator in my SI, not for turbo, just for slight upgrade. Thanks.

pack23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yes, I agree..Will the HF radiator be considered an upgrade to the SI rad? I want to make sure my lil honda dont overheat anymore....

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
The HF radiator is not an upgrade from an Si rad. It (the HF) is only about 2/3 the size of the Si rad. I do know of one guy that had a radiator shop put a dual row core in the HF tanks, couldn't hurt.
I talked to the radiator shop that has done the same thing to my Si radiator and he said he could do it for about $150. Only problem was the top tank on my HF radiator was broken (plastic mad.gif )

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

mitch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '84 CRX 1.3 B16A; '00 Honda Insight
Does the after-market no longer make/sell a bolt-in 2-row radiator for the CRX 1.3/HF? They certainly did, as I purchased one back in late '97, and then again in late '99. It's still in there, keeping the B16A cool under very severe conditions.
Original owner, B16A swap in '96,Y1 tranny with OEM LSD,flywheel lightened,Eibach Pro-kit,Tokico Illuminas in rear,Koni reds front,DC header,Lightspeed strut tower brace,OPM adj. Panhard rod,Addco secondary rear anti-sway bar,custom-made 7/8"diameter,Polyurethane sway-bar bushings for front bar and Addco rear,Lightspeed 27.5" diameter torsion bars,Supertrapp SS 17" muffler,with 2.25" custom-routed piping,1G Integra rear axle beam,sway bar,front & rear brakes,2G Prelude master cylinder