Head Studs

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

rad

• people know me
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 crx si, 2008 escape
i am looking to freshen up my top end new head gasket timing belt water pump cam regrind and all that good stuff but i was wondering where the best place to find a good head gasket and some arp head studs is i can't seem to find them anywhere i have the stock 1500 si motor in my gen 1
happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth

rad

• people know me
  • PipPip
really no love? well i will keep scrounging around for these does arp even make head studs for my single cam
happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
They don't make a 'set' for these engines but they will put one together for you if you give them all the pertinent data they need.

They aren't necessary for these engines though. You'll end up spending well over $100 for them when the original bolts & studs are more than sufficient.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

rad

• people know me
  • PipPip
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Dec 4 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't make a 'set' for these engines but they will put one together for you if you give them all the pertinent data they need.

They aren't necessary for these engines though. You'll end up spending well over $100 for them when the original bolts & studs are more than sufficient.

Jay

that is good to know so i will be cool reusing my studs what about head gasket's who should i stay away from and who will be the best option

jsgprod

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (rad @ Dec 4 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that is good to know so i will be cool reusing my studs what about head gasket's who should i stay away from and who will be the best option

Felpro, that's pretty much all I use, I can't remember the last time I bought a Honda head gasket.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I use the Felpro gaskets on my racecars as well. Just make sure that when you pick it up from the parts store it says D15a3 or EW4 on the package. They like to give you the headgasket for the next gen Civic/CRX for some reason.

Z
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
Now, when I had my Integra (b18b) I was always told to never reuse the head bolts as torquing them stretches the metal just a bit, and when you retorque they will give you off-readings... different on the EW motors?
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread

jsgprod

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (85Beater @ Dec 4 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, when I had my Integra (b18b) I was always told to never reuse the head bolts as torquing them stretches the metal just a bit, and when you retorque they will give you off-readings... different on the EW motors?

The Honda manual for the EW's says the same thing...I think, I haven't read that part of it since about 1987.

All bolts will stretch over time, especially if they're torqued to their rated yield strength. The thing is neither the head bolts nor the main bearing cradle bolts get even CLOSE to the rated yield that they can handle. What is it 37 lb/ft and 42lb/ft for the mains and head bolts?

I've never checked the torque charts according to their actual size but I'd guess that's about half what they could hold.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

alexm86

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si - Greek White, 2005 Convertible Mustang, 1995 Ford F150 XLT (5.8L/351W)
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Dec 4 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an ARP Head Stud kit that was specifically made for the EW back in the day. I only used it for mock up. They were never on a running motor. Contact me if you want them.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Dec 4 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Felpro, that's pretty much all I use, I can't remember the last time I bought a Honda head gasket.

Jay,

Good to hear you have success with these. The G1 Teg guys say they are the pitts to use and fail more often than not. Maybe different on the D16A1's as they say stick to the oem gasket. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
Funny... EV and EW motors can use the D16A1 gasket. The D16A1's gasket is thinner.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

87crexsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si TURBO, 91 infiniti g20, 97 cbr 970rr
    Garage View Garage
well if you searched good enough you'd see a post or 2 of mine where i handed out pn's for head studs and nuts. or ask someone who asked for them from me personally. i'm running a cometic d16a1 75.5mm headgasket and its workin fine....the only differences i saw were in a few of the water jacket ports around the cylinders where half of the hole was covered up.
Its a 1987 Honda CRX Si-T
T for TURBO
word.

DarkHand

I've always heard to avoid Felpro, but I've been hearing so much of the opposite lately. Now with this thread I really have no idea where I heard it from. I even told someone on Hondaswap to avoid Felpro and had to reverse my suggestion after I got so much flak about it. Is there a particular brand to avoid that I may be mixing up in my mind?
DarkHand

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
I avoid ROL gaskets

kablammyman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Integra
    Garage View Garage
some felpro gaskets are cool...the head gasket for the d16a1 is not one of those gaskets...
87 turbo integra, self tuned on TE