F22 Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

H FNATC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, 92 Accord EX Sedan, 09 BMW M6 vert, 03 Montero Sport (daily)
I have an F22 from my 92 Accord sitting in my backyard after doing an H22 swap. Can someone point me to a thread on what it would take to stuff the F series into my 86 rex?

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (H FNATC @ Nov 2 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an F22 from my 92 Accord sitting in my backyard after doing an H22 swap. Can someone point me to a thread on what it would take to stuff the F series into my 86 rex?

I think putting in an "F" series into a 1G would be as much trouble as I'm having putting an "H" into mine (physically the same package). As I'm learning with my project, there is no easy way to do it well.

Now I have to come clean and say I am famous for finding the hardest way to to things. tongue.gif

Good luck,

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

H FNATC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, 92 Accord EX Sedan, 09 BMW M6 vert, 03 Montero Sport (daily)
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Nov 2 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think putting in an "F" series into a 1G would be as much trouble as I'm having putting an "H" into mine (physically the same package). As I'm learning with my project, there is no easy way to do it well.

Now I have to come clean and say I am famous for finding the hardest way to to things. tongue.gif

Good luck,

David

I was thinking about an H, but since the rex would be a purpose built drag car, I'm thinking big boost! Someone must have done this before. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass. Guess I'll keep looking.

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
QUOTE (H FNATC @ Nov 3 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking about an H, but since the rex would be a purpose built drag car, I'm thinking big boost! Someone must have done this before. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass. Guess I'll keep looking.

Imagineer it man... do a RWD swap with a shortened 8.8" ford rear, mount the engine with RWD mounts from an S2k, connect a bellhousing with a torque tube, using a top-loader gearbox mounted somewhere midway through the car, run a shaft from the gearbox to the axle gear.

You won't need a speedo, so the tailshaft isn't necessary, You could almost use the rear suspension for a 3 link setup for RWD, since it has an "axle" already.

You say it's a purpose built race car, might as well make it something worth racing, eh?
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Christ @ Nov 30 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imagineer it man... do a RWD swap with a shortened 8.8" ford rear, mount the engine with RWD mounts from an S2k, connect a bellhousing with a torque tube

up to there I like that idea, thought of the same thing myself in two different concepts- I think using a torque tube w/ rear mounted trans AND a solid rear axle would be near impossible to make work right. IMO you can just do one or the other;
torque tube to rear trans (ex porsche/corvette transaxle OR transmission coupled directly to an independent suspension differential)
OR
front mounted engine/trans to solid rear axle

respectively the benefits of both would be:
-less structural reinforcement needed, much less cutting if any to the firewall, not having to buy an $2k trans, upgrading to IRS from the crappy stock 3-link, more streetable/potential to compete in races with turns, MUCH better weight distribution
-much simpler setup, rear differential will likely be cheaper to be made to take a lot of power, possibly cheaper but that could go either way

all mental masturbation aside this (F/H swap) has been covered well enough in the past so that making a new thread is unnecessary, next time search
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Christ

• PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 30 2008, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think using a torque tube w/ rear mounted trans AND a solid rear axle would be near impossible to make work right.

tube to rear trans (ex porsche/corvette transaxle OR transmission coupled directly to an independent suspension differential)
OR
front mounted engine/trans to solid rear axle

It's actually quite a simple design, I'm pretty sure you're making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Engine - bell/torqueTube - mid chassis mounted gearBox - driveShaft - rearLiveAxle

Since the driveShaft is mounted between tranny and rear live axle, and has a universal joint at each end, it makes the design quite simple and easy to implement.

The bane of the whole project is the cost of parts... the gear box is very expensive in most cases, unless you could make one work (not too hard either) and having the axle/axle tubes shortened.

All you would need to do to make one work, is disconnect your gearbox from it's bell, mount bell to engine, mount gearbox where you want it, cut a tube to fit between them, put flanges on either end of the tube, and make a live driveshaft that fits from the output splines on the clutch to the input shaft on the transmission. Press a bearing into either end of the torque tube you just made, and feed the shaft through.

Again, no tailshaft needed, so the driveshaft can come off the output of the gear box.

There really isn't anything difficult about the design, in fact, I considered using it once on my old Pinto, until I realized that even the 351's tranny would fit into the right place just the way it was.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
or he could just donate that F22 to a kick ass fellow RPR member so i would have a pretty fresh engine for my 93 accord daily driver. biggrin.gif

no, seriously....... i'll accept engine's as gift's ph34r.gif
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Christ @ Nov 30 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All you would need to do to make one work, is disconnect your gearbox from it's bell, mount bell to engine, mount gearbox where you want it, cut a tube to fit between them, put flanges on either end of the tube, and make a live driveshaft that fits from the output splines on the clutch to the input shaft on the transmission. Press a bearing into either end of the torque tube you just made, and feed the shaft through.

that has almost all of the drawbacks as both of the methods I described and, unless you have a super short amount of suspension travel, you will be putting a lot of stress on the output yolk and or having the driveshaft slip out regularly... its not a bad idea, I just don't think it is worth it considering the imo more efficient alternatives. I do, however, like how you walked through your design- had you not have done that I'd dismiss you for a fool.
I'm looking toward firstgencrx for backup on this one

H FNATC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 30 2008, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that has almost all of the drawbacks as both of the methods I described and, unless you have a super short amount of suspension travel, you will be putting a lot of stress on the output yolk and or having the driveshaft slip out regularly... its not a bad idea, I just don't think it is worth it considering the imo more efficient alternatives. I do, however, like how you walked through your design- had you not have done that I'd dismiss you for a fool.
I'm looking toward firstgencrx for backup on this one

WOW! How did you get so far off topic? I'm interested in an F22A swap. Thanks though.

Christ

• PipPip
QUOTE (H FNATC @ Nov 30 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW! How did you get so far off topic? I'm interested in an F22A swap. Thanks though.

It's actually not OT... look through the posts, and you'll realize that it was a side argument about making your car F22A RWD.

Christ

• PipPip
QUOTE (Christ @ Nov 30 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's actually not OT... look through the posts, and you'll realize that it was a side argument about making your car F22A RWD.

All of which hinged on making the RWD engine mounts fit on a FWD engine... has anyone tried this ever?

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 30 2008, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all mental masturbation aside this (F/H swap) has been covered well enough in the past so that making a new thread is unnecessary, next time search

QUOTE (H FNATC @ Nov 30 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mean to get all honda-tech on you but, as I just quoted myself, this has been covered very well before and another thread about it isn't merited unless we start talking about something different, which we did.
But if I must recap, no don't waste your time with that motor.

Christ

• PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 30 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mean to get all honda-tech on you but, as I just quoted myself, this has been covered very well before and another thread about it isn't merited unless we start talking about something different, which we did.
But if I must recap, no don't waste your time with that motor.

Agreed.. and I'm pretty sure you just choked this thread mercilessly until it exhaled it's last, throaty, rasping breath, then fell limp and eventually withered and died.

Yep. Flat-line.

typej

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2011 Honda Element LX
    • Image Gallery
custom build the rear of the car and swap the engine to the back, and have a rear wheel drive f22 powered 1st gen.

06-07: 1987 Honda CRX SI w/B16a (stock)

Currently: 2011 Honda Element (stock, mainly car audio and daily)

Looking to get back to having an 87 Crx SI

H FNATC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (typej @ Dec 11 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
custom build the rear of the car and swap the engine to the back, and have a rear wheel drive f22 powered 1st gen.

Why don't I just get an NSX?