Low Cost Tow

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
Ok, when I actually get started in rallying, what kind of setup could I do that would be "low cost" for moving either a 1g or 3g across multiple states several times a year? I can probably come up with a trailer fairly cheap and easy but what service vehicle should I use? Such as, I could get my hands on a 4cyl 2wd '90 ranger 5spd but I've got a feeling I'd end up using the honda to pull the truck more often than not. laugh.gif Any ideas?
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i have used my dakota to tow some pretty heavy loads. as im sure youve heard ive sunk my truck in a pond and flipped it and basically ragged the fuck outta it and it still begs for more. my trucks a v6 5 speed.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I agree, you probobly want to look at something V6. It doesn't have to be a very big V6... but really, the torque is what you want for hauling stuff arround.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
if you're getting a ranger, stay away from the 5 speeds. the autos are rated to tow more.

as far as i'm concerned, my 4.0 with a 5 speed did nicely, though..

oh, btw, since it's a rally car, just get a tow dolley. much easier to store and pay for than a full trailer.

as for the vehicle, older 87+f150's are getting to be super cheap. mines' got the 300 six and tows just fine. just make sure you get the 3.50+gears. mines got 3.20's or something at it's a little bit of a dog.

towing i guess could be done with a 4-banger, but once you tow with something bigger, you don't want to go back.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
as much as i dislike ford ive been driving my dads 2000 f150 v6 5 speed for the last few weeks and its got more torque than my dakota. ive used it to pull cars around the yard and it nice. havnt done a full on tow but i know it will be better than my dakota. of course my dads f150 has the towing package and has aftermarket shocks so it rides alot nicer

but my dakota gets better gas mileage

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

vaughan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 honda civc wagovan, 00 silverado
    • Image Gallery
id go v8 you my get better gas mileage around town with a v6 but once you put a load on one gas mileage goes to shit. so why not have the v8 power
user posted image
Si Wagovan-Clan Member

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i have a 92 ranger with the dual plug 2.3 4 cylindar and 5 speed transmission along with (i think they are 3:53 rear gears but not positive). this truck COULD pull a 1G crx on a little trailer or tow dolly but i wouldnt recommend it for a few reasons. a few of the reasons being that the truck itself is just too light and the engine would probably not take the abuse for very long so it wouldnt be best choice for long term towing, once in a while for a short trip would be fine (even though the ranger's dual plug 2.3 is said to be the second best 4 cylindar truck engine next to the toyota 22RE). with something like a set of 4:10 rear gears it would tow even better so this is something to think about if you do go this route.

my vehicles get towed with this beast biggrin.gif

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Get an older Class C motorhome (van front style). You can get one with either a small block or a big block, with any of the Big Three chassis.

I suggest one of the shorter ones. I also suggest either a tow dolly or a somewhat light-weight trailer.

If you get one that is old enough, then antique plates are possible.

Keith, who tows his race car with a '78 Minnie Winnie, 20 footer, with a big block Chrysler engine...

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

iceracercrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 CRX
A bunch of the rally guys up here have cube vans, like a u-haul 14 or 17 footer. Then you can put your car in there for the tow. Then some tow a car also so they split the gas money getting to the events. Some even sleep in there during the event, RV style. Trucks stuff, because you can't lock anything up.

My ice race hauler is a 1 ton chevy van (not a box box) was 300 bucks, I have a nice truck that I hate driving in the salt filled roads in the winter. Sorry for the long sentence.

By the way I can crew for you up here at the rally about 2 hours north of me, and up in MI.

Tow dollies suck!!! Buy a trailer and be done with it.

I got a open trailer for my winter racing. I got a old trailer that needed a new wood deck. 300 for the trailer and 150 for the wood. I also replaced the wiring 35 bucks.

Randy

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (iceracercrx @ Nov 3 2006, 08:41 PM)
Tow dollies suck!!!  Buy a trailer and be done with it.

I got a open trailer for my winter racing.  I got a old trailer that needed a new wood deck.  300 for the trailer and 150 for the wood.  I also replaced the wiring 35 bucks.

Randy

this guy is right, trailer is a LOT better. you can not back up with a dolly.... doesnt sound like a big deal but when you can not back up you will then realize how often you really do it.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
Yeah, I'm definitely going the trailer route cause I know I have a few cheap options on that. I do computer work for a guy that can build me one for his cost, my bro in law can build them, and they're way easier to move around with than dollies. Thanks everyone for the suggestions on vehicles and stuff. Read where someone was using a retired ambulance. Has built in air compressor, electric, plenty of power, storage, hauling room, etc. I just might consider looking for one of those.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Simple. Make your own tow dolley out of the axle from any truck, van, or SUV, then buy a four cylinder turbo volvo. You'll be set!

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
You definately need a full trailer for rally racing. The chances of ending an event with a car that won't even roll are so high that a tow dolly isn't really an option. When my friends were running rally on a budget, it was rare to even finish an event without an equipment failure or an 'off'. Having a 4wd tow vehicle is nice for recovery, but there are always plenty of them around to help out, so it's not a requirement.

If you're going for cheap and are only going to use it for towing, I would look at full size conversion vans. They are absolutely dirt cheap, and work great as support vehicles - plenty heavy and strong enough for towing, secured storage space, room for sleeping if you need to, etc.

-Chris

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx si
Im using a nineties e150 work van with a FI inline six, with a 16 footer open trailer.

whole setup cost me $1400.
14-18 mpg towing.

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

My project needs your help
Parts wanted

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (evilGearhead @ Nov 4 2006, 02:57 PM)
Im using a nineties e150 work van with a FI inline six,

i guess you're right for the trailer part.

right there is the biggie. INLINE six. not a V6. Inlines have gobs of torque. no HP, just torque. that's why i love mine..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(