• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 crx si, 97 eagle talon tsi, 95 integra, 98 integra
    Garage View Garage
has anyone here put a integra sub frame in a crx?
i have 27mm bars for teg, want to put them in my crx. im thinking it will work i just wont beable to put the end caps on cause the bolt holes wont line up on the frame rail. i dont really care about the dust caps, if thats the only problem then im doing it.
dan
start with a crx, then go mitsubishi eclipse, then run back to honda and never think those dirty thoughts again.

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
why would you want to?

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Did you read his post at all, scott?

As far as I know, the subframe bolts do line up, with the exception of the end caps on the Torsion bars (which are necessary)

You'll have to make some measurements, but I am pretty sure it is do-able, but will require that you make your own anchor points in the back of the T-bars.

If you don't, they will twist and probably break over bumps.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
You've never taken tbars apart, have you Mark? The dust cover is just that- there's a rubber bushing between it and the torque tube, the cap isn't load bearing. They're a bitch to remove, because water gets inside the cap & makes it rust, and they're probably worth having so gunk doesn't get between the tq tube and tbar splines, but you can safely drive around without them- or, as I did, leave them unbolted from the body for weeks at a time.

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Rampage @ Mar 29 2005, 11:05 PM)
Did you read his post at all, scott?

i thought i did. if he has 27mm torsion bars, won't they fit in the crx torque tube?
and when you say dust cap do you mean the end toward the rear of the subframe or the front where the lower arm connects?

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Other than the length of the t-bars the mounts for the steering rack are different on the Teg. If you use a Teg rack you'll be fine for mounting onto the unibody. The six bolts are identical. Be aware that most Tegs had power steering and that is what makes the mount different. You will have to deal with how to tap that off as well.

It's easier to put the CRX subbie and rack into a Teg as you get rid of the power steering. It's easier to divest yourself of stuff rather than keeping part of it to make something else work. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
thanks guys, im probably going to do it, i dont care about the dust caps becasue my car is never driven in the winter, if i goop them in neversease i should be ok, as far as the steeriing rack, im goign to alter it to take a crx rack. and ive got a wagovan swaybar, ill let you all know how it goes.
dan
start with a crx, then go mitsubishi eclipse, then run back to honda and never think those dirty thoughts again.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just swap the torque tubes to the CRX ones and it should fit just fine. I don't know why you think the front caps won't go on?
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Vandemar @ Mar 29 2005, 10:11 PM)
You've never taken tbars apart, have you Mark? The dust cover is just that- there's a rubber bushing between it and the torque tube, the cap isn't load bearing. They're a bitch to remove, because water gets inside the cap & makes it rust, and they're probably worth having so gunk doesn't get between the tq tube and tbar splines, but you can safely drive around without them- or, as I did, leave them unbolted from the body for weeks at a time.

Actually I have before. But looking at the operation of the T-bars, even though twisting force is transferred to the front of the T-tube, IMO the back should be braced because essentially all of the weight of the car is going to the back end. If they only needed dust covers, Honda would have only put dust caps like the front, instead of a bolt on piece.

The fact that you have driven with the end caps off and nothing bad has happened is a little un-nerving, and I wouldn't do it.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
The fact that you have driven with the end caps off and nothing bad has happened is a little un-nerving, and I wouldn't do it.

ya its the rear caps, but they are just 20 gauge stamped steel, i kant see them beeing a load berring anything. i think they bolt on casue the lip of the cap faces forward and therfore could catch on stuff and pop them off.
i like the idea of taking the tubes out of the integra and putting them in the crx sub. i didnt think you could do that.
thanks guys
dan

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
The parts are totally interchangeable. If you want to use the Teg t-bars all you need to do is exchange the torque tubes from the Teg to the CRX. You will have to make holes for the rear covers to attach or as others have said, leave them off if you think this is a safe thing to do.

The Teg bars and torque tubes are longer than the CRX. That's the easiest way to do it. As I said before if you want to use the Teg subbie the rack mount is different. Everything else bolts up as normal. Just mark or punch a dot on the edge of the tube where the key spline goes in and you'll be OK. It's easier than pulling it on and off till you find it or jamb it on wrong.

Just be aware there are some cars that didn't have a key spline at all. If that's the case you can lower away by one spline at a time. Just remember if you go too low the struts will bottom out. JS

aan.jpg

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
i got the tubes off of my crx subframe, it was insane, i had to heat the crap out of them. so what im thinking is that if i get a integra subframe, i dont think i will be able to get the tubes off in one peice. does anyone know if you can buy torsion tubes from the dealership? like do they have a part # apart from the subframe? i think it might be the easyer way to go. i can get a subframe from the wreckers for $60, but chanses are that it will be pretty rusty. it might be easy to get tubes apart in calafornia, different story in canada.
dan

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
So where in Canukleland do you live? In the rust belt of Ontario or out in lotusland? Fill in your profile and it helps. If you live close to another member they may be of some help. JS

aan.jpg

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Just swap the torque tubes like Tom said. It's a lot less aggravation and you also don't have to adapt the manual rack to the P/S rack mounts in the Teg subframe.

There's a Teg subframe in a CRX I recently bought that is coming out soon. I neither want nor need power steering in a CRX.

Did you mess up your tubes when you took them off? If you need some I have some extra ones I don't think I need but.. I live in Florida so it may be kind of expensive to send to, Canada?

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
well ya, the tubes from the wagovan subframe that i took off are screwed now. i havent tryed taking the integra tubes off yet. but what im saying is that i dont think i can remove the integra tubes without destroying them.the tubes are in 2 peices and the rear tube slips over about 3 inches of the front tube. so to get them off you have to heat the rear tube to get it to exspand and then slip them off. the problem is that there rusted together. i had the rear part glowing red and was blowing compressed air in the front tube. they wouldnt pull off so i ended smaking them with a hammer, and due to them beeing red hot they deformed. i didnt care though because i dont need those tubes. but when i remove the intega tubes i need to not destroy them. this is my problem. ill let you all know how it goes.
thanx dan