Crx Update

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

84-1300

• AutoX Newb
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX 1300 1986 Civic w/ D16A1 1963 Chevy 1/2 ton 2001 Civic EX 2001 Lexus RX 300
    • Image Gallery
Well I finished up the ’93 civic DX brake swap and all I can Say is……WOW!! ohmy.gif These brakes are awesome; I’m able to lock up all four tires w/ ease (good excuse to get bigger wheels and tires!!) I also installed an exedy clutch and shaved a ½ mm off my flywheel for more gripping force.

This past Saturday was our first AutoX of the season, and the CRX preformed beautifully.

Below are some before and after pics of the swap, and then a couple of nivek2002 and myself at lunch break. Enjoy.

Before:

After:

Old vs New

----->More Here<----

savestheday

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 crx HFi, 1993 Integra
looks good! What region do you auto-x in? And are you in street mod with those brakes?
It runs! Carb to Megasquirt EFI.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Those brakes put you in SM2.

You kept the rear aluminum drums, right?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
For autoX, stick to 13x6 wheels or wider.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

84-1300

• AutoX Newb
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 CRX 1300 1986 Civic w/ D16A1 1963 Chevy 1/2 ton 2001 Civic EX 2001 Lexus RX 300
    • Image Gallery
Well I have yet to run in a SCCA event. A local S2000 club hosts several AutoX events during the year (7 this year). They limit the field to 50 cars and everyone gets 8 runs. Really the best event that I know of. So, as far as class I'll have to trust cbstdscott.

Scott, could I swap in the D16a1 and remain in SM2?

As far as rear drums, mine are not aluminum, even though it is a '84 "DX". Because as far as I know the HF did not start until '85. Aluminum drums are on my list of upgrades, but I think new rims and wheels come first.

I am having troubles deciding on a wheel tire combo. 13" rims are great for the track, but I'm not sure that there is a good street tire for a 13x6 - 13x8 rim. Stepping up to a 14" rim hurts a little on the track, but opens up more tire choices. Anyone got an opinion?

-Matt

CSPCRX

I run 15x7 kosie K1s with Nitto 555Rs on the street. on the track I run 13x9 kizers with 225x45x13 Hoosiers. You need a second set of wheels with race tires to do it right. Race tires make an unbelievable difference.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
You should get a copy of the rules book to find out EXACTLY what is allowed for each class.

I was assuming you were abiding by SCCA rules, the bigger brakes bump you into SM2 which is a pretty wide open class. Yes, you can use a D16A1 in SM2.... or just about anything else you want. Say hello to the 'vettes and Vipers in that class.

Racing rubber is the ONLY cure for the racing disease. Once you have used real racing rubber, you will never try to race on street rubber ever again. Long story short, the BEST street rubber is completely inadequate for ANY kind of racing (unless you are in a stock tire class).

If you are poor or cheap (like me) you can source used racing tires for next to nothing from rich racers. They are still better than street tires.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

nivek2002

Great pictures! What is it about the passenger side piece of those 3-piece lips? They are always falling off LOL.

Your brakes did feel awesome! This is the most dramatic picture to me...

Kevin

nivek2002

Who else noticed ME in the car? laugh.gif

Kevin

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
did those brakes just bolt on or is custome work there.
05192012083.jpg

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx
yeah, im wondering the same thing. How long did it take you to do it? i have an HF so i would like to upgrade the rotors and calipers. Also if you wouldnt mind giveing me some advice... what do you think would be better, swapping out for an Si brake set, integra brakes, or 2nd gen brakes? i was reading up on it in the faq but im still not sure what the best choice would be.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Feb 22 2005, 09:51 AM)
did those brakes just bolt on or is custome work there.

It's all just bolt on stuff. You need the caliper, caliper bracket, rotors and pads. You can do this with the following:

86-89 Integra (all)
89-91 Civic/CRX (all)
92-95 Civic (all base models/models with 9.3" rotors)

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
in your opinion what would be the best? or are all of them pretty much the same? i was going to do the rear swap but then i read that the aluminum drums are just as good as rotors so i changed my mind about that.

Edited by zeroclearance, 22 February 2005 - 10:26 AM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
They are all about the same size. The only advantage to the 91 CRX SI brakes is the amount of aftermarket pad support, if that's important to you.

Oh, the 00+ Insight front brakes should work as well...
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
The only advantage to the 91 CRX SI brakes is the amount of aftermarket pad support, if that's important to you.
The 92-5 (and probably 96-00, but I haven't tried it) stuff uses the same pads as 90-91's. I confirmed this by moving the pads from my '93 VX calipers onto my '91 Si hatch smile.gif.