Almost Done With Swap..

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
OK, I am almost done with the D16A1 swap into my civic sedan, but I came across two little problems.

First one is that im mounting my new radiator in a location where I cant get to the radiator cap, so what im doing is removing the cap part of the radiator and welding it up.. Then im going to replace it with a radiator hose filler like this. That one is 1 1/4 to 1 1/4 and I need a style that is smaller for hondas, does anyone know if someone makes it or will i need to make one myself?

Secondly I've got the fuel injection line all plumbed through the firewall and hooked up to the engine (its a -6 braided line). I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to run the line along the inside of the car and through the back floor to where the fuel pump is.. Does anyone have any pics of how they got it rigged up? Pictures would help out a lot, there is not much room to work with under there dry.gif And would a civic si fuel pump be smaller and easier to work with than the integra pump? Thanks guys
user posted image

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
well the pump i got was really small. like almost 1/2 as small as the oem integra one i got from aren d. that i busted due to runnin the car outta fuel and it suckin up trash. it was the oem 89 integra one from autozone. 92 bucks, but it was worth it. i finally drove it morethan down the driveway (d16a1 blacktop into crx hf). I used the oem carb fuel lines. they seem to work fine

and if your gonna weld on your rad why dont you just move the filler neck so its accesible?

Sean

Edited by rexsk8er, 10 January 2005 - 07:12 PM.

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
"Secondly I've got the fuel injection line all plumbed through the firewall and hooked up to the engine (its a -6 braided line). I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to run the line along the inside of the car and through the back floor to where the fuel pump is.. Does anyone have any pics of how they got it rigged up?"

Sorry, no pictures of the routing of the fuel line. I just removed the driver's side door plastic sill plate, the driver's seat and then pealed back the carpet from front to back along the inside left rocker panel area. The steel braided line was run right along with the exsisting fuel lines. I cable tied the braided line to the original lines. The carpet fit back perfectly. You'd never know it was there - except for the smell of gas that leaches out of the braided line into the car. Yuck!

If you go to my un-updated web site, you can see a picture of the braided line where it comes out of the firewall. Make sure you put a rubber grommet around the line at the firewall. Yeah, it's steel braided, but why take a chance on a leak.

Oh, and I drilled a hole at the rear fenderwell to get the line to my in-line pump. (Of course that hole is grommeted also.)

www.fondahonda.com

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
the fuel lines shouldnt have any problem fitting if you grabbed them from a 4 door...

the only hard part is under the dash.. mine didnt fit perfectly but i put alot of zap straps on to bend it into shape

Why are you doing this crazy radiator mod? All you need is teh stock civic radiator for the d16 swap
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

sdubfid

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan
Could you run the braided fuel line outside of the car to keep the fumes and possible leaks out of the passenger compartment?

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yeah i might try and run the braided line outside the car, i just have it inside for now. i dont know how the hell it can leak fumes but i'll take everyones word for it. anyone know why exactly the braided lines dont seal 100%?? its just annoying because that means there really isnt much of an option for fuel lines running through the car other than hard lines... and that can really be tough.

im putting in an aluminum 92-95 civic radiator, half size, mainly because i figure now is as good of time as any to install it. then ill have a lot more room in the engine compartment and a lot less weight up front. but i think i got this one figured out now it'll look alright... so nm about the radiator

only thing in question now is whether or not to secure the fuel pump rubber line to a hose barb which then goes to the braided line.. it sounds like that way will be fine and it will help free up some space under there. but yeah what are your opinions on this??
user posted image

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (mayhem019 @ Jan 12 2005, 01:15 AM)
i dont know how the hell it can leak fumes but i'll take everyones word for it. anyone know why exactly the braided lines dont seal 100%?? its just annoying because that means there really isnt much of an option for fuel lines running through the car other than hard lines... and that can really be tough.

sounds like you used a buna n (rubber) braided hose. you should use a braided teflon line, it does not let the fumes seep through like the buna n does. if the lines are leaking fuel then the ends were not prepared and assembled correctly or the hose was seriously damaged.

cvcc_wagon

• PipPip
    • Drives: 1983 Civic Wagon 1.8l w/ sidrdraft Webers
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (mayhem019 @ Jan 10 2005, 03:07 PM)
First one is that im mounting my new radiator in a location where I cant get to the radiator cap, so what im doing is removing the cap part of the radiator and welding it up.. Then im going to replace it with a radiator hose filler like this. That one is 1 1/4 to 1 1/4 and I need a style that is smaller for hondas, does anyone know if someone makes it or will i need to make one myself?

if you're going to use a fitting like that (which btw i've never seen, kinda cool) i don't see the point of welding the stock cap closed, you're risking a leak and you can still take advantage of the stock overflow system. the specific pressure the overflow opens is kinda important and the aftemarket fitting might not be the same. i would suggest you install he rad like you want it and put your aftermarket fitting in the upper rad hose and fill it from there.
-Andrew Smit-
now the non-cvcc_wagon
mail to: smit_andrew (at) hotmail (dot) com
user posted image

-->Updated Honda Engine List Here<--

Mmmm... Webers

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
sounds like you used a buna n (rubber) braided hose. you should use a braided teflon line, it does not let the fumes seep through like the buna n does. if the lines are leaking fuel then the ends were not prepared and assembled correctly or the hose was seriously damaged.
I (and most sanctioning bodies) sure as hell wouldn't trust a rubber fuel line in the passenger compartment. Either route it outside, or step up to stainless braided hose (which costs a bloody fortune).

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (Vandemar @ Jan 12 2005, 02:49 AM)
I (and most sanctioning bodies) sure as hell wouldn't trust a rubber fuel line in the passenger compartment.  Either route it outside, or step up to stainless braided hose (which costs a bloody fortune).

when i said buna n (rubber) i was refering to the physical construction of the stainless braided hose under the braided exterior. if you use this type of braided hose instead of teflon you get the problem he is describing. if you route the buna n braided line under the car and park it in an enclosed space it'll still smell like fuel as if you left the tank open.

See this as an example(buna n inner) of what i am reffering to.

teflon hose

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (mayhem019 @ Jan 12 2005, 02:15 AM)
im putting in an aluminum 92-95 civic radiator, half size, mainly because i figure now is as good of time as any to install it. then ill have a lot more room in the engine compartment and a lot less weight up front. but i think i got this one figured out now it'll look alright... so nm about the radiator

Here's how I did my Del Sol rad, if it helps:

That's not quite how it is now on the top mount, I can actually use the stock cap where it is in that picture.

edit: here's a final pic:

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
"when i said buna n (rubber) i was refering to the physical construction of the stainless braided hose under the braided exterior. if you use this type of braided hose instead of teflon you get the problem he is describing. if you route the buna n braided line under the car and park it in an enclosed space it'll still smell like fuel as if you left the tank open."

Just for the record. There are nooo leaks in my fuel system. None! I used "buna" (rubber) hose that has a stainless braid covering - very expensive and very sturdy. The rubber hose is quite thick, but it still leaches fumes. Thanks for the tip on the teflon hose.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
i dont care what you guys use.. putting fuel lines undernieth the car is always a bad idea for obvious reasons...

my suggestion - grab the stock integra lines which fit fine, or bend your own metal lines
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Jan 13 2005, 02:54 AM)
i dont care what you guys use..  putting fuel lines undernieth the car is always a bad idea for obvious reasons...

So every Honda after 91 that has them under the car is bad? I'd rather NOT have them in the passenger compartment, but that's just me.

QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Jan 13 2005, 02:54 AM)
my suggestion - grab the stock integra lines which fit fine, or bend your own metal lines

Even easier, use stock SI lines, they fit even better...whoops, he's got a sedan...disregard that last statement.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
just for an update yeah, my fuel line is braided/synthetic rubber and i was under the impression it would work.. but SOMEHOW it leeches tons of fumes, not from the connections, but from the line itself. im ordering a teflon hose asap (earls speed flex -6) this shit is expensive but at least i dont have to mess with it ever again mad.gif
user posted image