87 Crx Si Problem

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
I cannot figure out whats causing my engine to heat up pretty high, unless these stock engines run hot...so basically, I've replaced the thermostat (from autozone), there are no leaks, no air pockets, fresh coolant, the fan works, new oil (because the one time I take it to jiffy to get an oil change, they left not even a quart of old black oil and the wrong oil filter).

My engine only starts to run pretty hot (but not overheating) when I drive mostly streets, when I jump on the freeway, the temperature goes down again, but once I exit, it will gradually raise as I drive streets

...any idea?

Like I said its not touching the H-Line but I'm sure if I kept pushing it, it could

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
Is your cooling fan working? Does it cycle on and of if you just let the car sit and idle?

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I actually think it stays on all the time

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
and another note to add, this is a gradual process, for example yesterday I spent about 40 minutes on the street and the temperature was good, jumped on the freeway and the temperature was still fine, got back on the streets and then thats when the temperature started to rise

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
I suggest that you stop and check the rad fan when it begins to get hot to verify that it is still running.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
That, and also do this.

Next time it gets hot, turn your car off for 5 seconds, and turn it back on; see if the gauge returns back to the same reading.

My gauge will lie periodically, tell me that the car's getting near the hot but then I turn it off and back on and the gauge shows normal. Also, the engine is at normal operating temp to the touch, maybe even a little cool.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
If your fan is working I would turn the heater high and see if it helps cool the temps down indicating that the radiator is not able to keep up and posible needs cleaned out or replace as the case with mine when I had the same problem.
Jeff

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Alright so I flushed the system with radiator cleaner (and took my time with letting it circulate), put new coolant (again), still running a little too hot for me, I did pull over to check and see if the fan is on, and it was. Turning my car off and back on still read the same temperature so my gauge seems to be functioning, I will try running the heater and see if that helps, but so far, I am drawing a blank dry.gif

This is my gauge idling at a red light, it will bounce a little bit up more when I continue with the stop and go traffic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
mine runs a littel below half. Maybe the thermo is rated for a different temp??

When I first got my 87si, it would overheat when I ran the a/c. come to later find out that the condenser fan was broken and would not run. So my engine would run hotter while a/c was running. I assume you are not running a/c?
Keepin' it OEM

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ May 29 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I first got my 87si, it would overheat when I ran the a/c. come to later find out that the condenser fan was broken and would not run. So my engine would run hotter while a/c was running. I assume you are not running a/c?

hmm I'm not sure, I can't remember what temp thermostat we put in because it was about a month and a half ago, but no, I wish I was running some AC right now its getting warm down in socal

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
In all cars, most cars do run hotter at slower, city speeds. Cars will always run cooler at highway speeds.

Mine runs close to that...

Look in your radiator.. is the core of it covered in white shit? If it is, its more than likely time to change the rad.

Edited by Gabe87CRX, 29 May 2010 - 10:42 PM.

87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
I run a D16A1 and the gauge always seemed to be low so I bought a new sensor for the block. Now it runs at exactly the same spot as your picture in normal operation. When the temperature outside is a bit hot and stop and go traffic it will even climb a bit from this location. Don't know if that is any help for you as they all read somewhat differently. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Sinic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04 STi, 00 STi RHD, 07 TL
Did you test the thermostat? A lot of the times they are not working out of the box.

Also is your idle that high all the time?

sanbernardghetto

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Sinic @ May 30 2010, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you test the thermostat? A lot of the times they are not working out of the box.

Also is your idle that high all the time?

It usually idles around 750-800 when its running cool, but I've noticed when the temp gauge goes up, my idle start to go higher....hmm

But I am gonna try to check out the thermostat, I'm thinking we may have bought one that is set to open at a higher temperature than normal =|

mtcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ May 29 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 87 CRX-Si temp gauge sits at about the same place. I thought it was hot but in never goes above that point and a second gauge I installed is at 190-200F when the gauge is reading like this, so I think it is OK. I did find early on too that my o2 sensor was bad and probably caused incorrect reading to the computer, I think it was leaning out the fuel mix when it should have been adding more fuel. After I changed the o2 sensor ($30 for much less trouble and worry) everything is fine, the engine warms up and stays at the proper temperature no matter how hard I push it, over mountain passes, lapping on track days, etc. I would suggest changing the old o2 sensor anyway, they do wear out and my car has performed loads better since I changed it.
MTCRX
1987 CRX-SI
Daily driver, autocross, and track days. Fun car and getting better with each improvement learned from RPR members.