1g Crx Cold Air Intakes!

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

CRX_1986_Si

http://www.edbanners...ntake_Tube.html

check it out! Do these look like they would help?
You're mad at your father. not at me!

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan
QUOTE (CRX_1986_Si @ May 13 2010, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.edbanners...ntake_Tube.html

check it out! Do these look like they would help?

They don't look all that great IMO - not even mandrel bent. You can get cheaper mandrel bent pipes on ebay and adapt them or you can do a drain-pipe special from home depot and I bet both would perform better.

CRX_1986_Si

QUOTE (curtperry @ May 13 2010, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't look all that great IMO - not even mandrel bent. You can get cheaper mandrel bent pipes on ebay and adapt them or you can do a drain-pipe special from home depot and I bet both would perform better.

Oh? Care to elaborate on the home depot version 8)
My CAI uses the OEM intake tubing, but istead of an air box and resonator, I added 3'' metal connectors so the filter sits where the resonator was.

Any particular length and diameter the intake should be? How about filter placement?

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, 05 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
yeah those don't look quality at all... the stock tubing would probably be better in this case. And +15HP on a 91HP engine??? OMG I want one now!! lol

The home depot version can varry... some people use pcv plumbing with bends and adapters, some people use ventilation tubing (like for your heater vents), and some crazy individuals use flexible hosing for a dryer vent. ph34r.gif
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
It's not cold air when it's exposed to the hot hot under hood air. wink.gif

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Check out this thread
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

CRX_1986_Si

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 13 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out this thread

Yeah, I had read that one and found it very interesting.

Scott, is there anything you dont know about 1g's?

Edited by CRX_1986_Si, 13 May 2010 - 10:43 PM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (CRX_1986_Si @ May 13 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scott, is there anything you dont know about 1g's?

There is a diference between knowing a lot about a particular subject and having an OPINION on everything regarding a particular subject. That said, I have been involved in the car hobby for a long time.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan
This how-to has been around for a while but I forgot where it was. Found it again:

http://www.teamdelso...ke/default.html

Obviously you would make the bends at slightly different angles, but the idea is the same. IMO this option would probably be the best price/performance.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Wow, dude that's sad. That's exhaust pipe bent on a press bender. You can see it clearly in the unpainted version.

"You supply the paint (paint optional)"

I can tell you exactly what this is. Guy was looking for an intake, couldn't find anything. He had access to a bender so he got some cheep exhaust tubing, bent something up, and now hoping to make some side cash by "filling the niche."

sawchuk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI Turbo EW-4 225 whp 230 torque and a 99 Civic SI 2004 Acura TSX
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ May 14 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, dude that's sad. That's exhaust pipe bent on a press bender. You can see it clearly in the unpainted version.

"You supply the paint (paint optional)"

I can tell you exactly what this is. Guy was looking for an intake, couldn't find anything. He had access to a bender so he got some cheep exhaust tubing, bent something up, and now hoping to make some side cash by "filling the niche."

You couldn't be more wrong. That is mandrel bent 180 degree steel tubing that he bought from JC Whitney. It even says in the article to buy 180 degree mandrel bent steel tubing and he is showing you how to make it.

Edited by sawchuk, 15 May 2010 - 11:47 PM.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (sawchuk @ May 16 2010, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You couldn't be more wrong. That is mandrel bent 180 degree steel tubing that he bought from JC Whitney. It even says in the article to buy 180 degree mandrel bent steel tubing and he is showing you how to make it.

He meant the original intake on the first post.

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
I built my CAI from autozone intake parts...

All in all, prolly bout $70...

It goes.. straight, 90, straight, straight, filter
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (sawchuk @ May 15 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, you should really read the topic starting post before you just skip to the bottom.

As RARECRX explained, I was talking about this POS: http://www.edbanners...ntake_Tube.html

I think I'm a bit insulted. Do you really have such a low opinion of me that you really thought I was talking about curtperry's link?
I'm joking there. (Or am i? huh.gif )

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ May 16 2010, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, you should really read the topic starting post before you just skip to the bottom.

As RARECRX explained, I was talking about this POS: http://www.edbanners...ntake_Tube.html

I think I'm a bit insulted. Do you really have such a low opinion of me that you really thought I was talking about curtperry's link?
I'm joking there. (Or am i? huh.gif )

All i did was take an ebay CAI for an 88 and up crx and made it fit my 87. the main filter sits in front of the front tire and just behind the bumper. also has a relief filter setup so it doesn't flood the engine incase the main gets covered with water. never really had a problem with it.