Si Hatch W/swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan
I figured it's about time I start a post...

I've owned this white 86 Civic Si for 12 years now. It was practically my first car (real first car was horrible rustbucket and lasted a only few months) and I fell in love with it. I think the previous owner, my dad, still wants it back.

Anyway I have been lurking on rpr since 2004. I have tried to soak in as much wisdom as possible from all the experts around here and always planned on doing this project. About 3 years ago the original EW4 motor gave out due to lack of maintenance (pics later) and in the driveway it has sat since then. Then around 2 years ago I bought a donor 88 Integra. And finally for the past year or so I have been slowly rebuilding the D16a1.

Now, finally the project is starting to get somewhere and I'm starting to have pics worth posting. Here are a few, I'll try to get all the rest of the pics to bring the timeline up to date by this weekend

heres the patient...

original engine with IM and valve cover gone

how it failed - I believe lack of oil caused this cam key to shear right off, EW4 rest in peace at 241k

out with the old to make room for the new!

Edited by curtperry, 13 May 2010 - 02:19 AM.

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: turbo'ed 87 Civic Si Hatchback and a heavily modified jeep wrangler
Looking forward to more pics. Looks Like a good build, Are you building the D16 for performance or are you just rebuilding it like stock? just curious, good luck!

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Forcefed Si @ Apr 22 2010, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking forward to more pics. Looks Like a good build, Are you building the D16 for performance or are you just rebuilding it like stock? just curious, good luck!

I did some ghetto head porting with a dremel, used ZC cams and intake manifold. Didn't have much of a budget so that's pretty much it for power increases so far. More pics tonight when I get home.

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So I bought this teg for $450. it ran and drove but obviously it had issues - it was an 88 Integra RS and it was not well cared for (the interior was trashed)

I have no hoist and didn't want to pay for a rental so I dropped the engine to the ground like this and then slid it out from underneath by jacking the car up high

I then decided that with the engine's uncertain past, and the fact that I plan to keep my hatch forever biggrin.gif , it made sense to do a complete rebuild. This is my first engine rebuild and a big learning experience.

-- Insert a year of playing World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online here --

OK on with the pics...

After disassembling the long block, I started by porting the head. I slightly widened the ports, got rid of the ridge where the back of the valve seat meets the walls, ground down the valve stems (on the intake side only) to be flush with the roof and smoothed down the "hill" leading up the the stems.

This shot makes it looks worse than it is - the dark parts that look untouched were ground at from the combustion chamber side

After prepping the head for re-assembly I realized that I dont have a valve spring compressor and after looking at prices, decided to skip that purchase

and again being a cheap ass turns out fine laugh.gif

Damn posting this stuff up takes some time... more tomorrow!

Edited by curtperry, 23 April 2010 - 01:11 AM.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (curtperry @ Apr 23 2010, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and again being a cheap ass turns out fine laugh.gif

never thought of making one of wood. Hmmm.... HEY SCOTT (or david) You think we can make these out of delrin?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Apr 23 2010, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
never thought of making one of wood. Hmmm.... HEY SCOTT (or david) You think we can make these out of delrin?

Yeah I saw an old clothes hanger rod laying around in my garage and thought "Hey that'll work!" chopped off about 4" of it and shaped it. biggrin.gif

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Dude, your home made tools/techniques ROCK! Very innovative. While a bit ghetto, MUCH better than the whole methanol-tire-mounting deal I've seen on youtube, lol!

Bay looks nice and clean. Keep it up!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Apr 23 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, your home made tools/techniques ROCK! Very innovative. While a bit ghetto, MUCH better than the whole methanol-tire-mounting deal I've seen on youtube, lol!

Bay looks nice and clean. Keep it up!

Thanks for the compliment. Necessity is mother of invention!

Yeah I've seen that tire mounting trick on youtube as well and it looks fun - but I'm a pyro ph34r.gif

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK so I didnt get around to updating last weekend.... but thats because I was getting so much done!

First here's a few more pics of the engine build -

New pistons being installed with stock rods, new main and rod bearings, ARP Rod bolts

Bolted the head to the block with ARP stud kit 208-4601 (for b16's) the raised center stud needed 3/8ths trimmed off and the corner stud over the water pump is about 1/4 from bottomed out so that I could get full threads on the nut

Valve cover stripped, sanded, and prepped for paint

Valve cover primed with duplicolor engine primer

Lots of work went into this pic... not gonna show it because I cant find the pics I took of more engine building. I went with VHT red wrinkle for the valve cover.

And finally this is what I did over the weekend cool.gif

Prepped the civic subframe by giviing it a good scrub, installing the teg anti-sway bar, and the teg torsion bars (yep im planning to drill holes in the rail where the cup mounts)

And then.....

I just sat and smiled a while staring at that one! (cold beer in hand)

Edited by curtperry, 27 April 2010 - 02:13 AM.

Gant

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members

I just sat and smiled a while staring at that one! (cold beer in hand)

that looks great dude. I love working on clean stuff.

^^click for wagoplan alpha^^

My name is Garrett.... like the turtle

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
nice, I am a huge fan of the "drop the engine and lift the car"

hatchbox

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 DOHC Si 1600 Hatch, 86 DOHC turbo Si 1500 Hatch & 86 CRX EW4 Si
Wow that is great looking hatch hope to see it driving around soon. Looks like your up in my neck of the woods, so if you ever need a hand I'm always happy to help out a fellow pepper. biggrin.gif
Get more bang 4 your buck.

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (hatchbox @ Apr 27 2010, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that is great looking hatch hope to see it driving around soon. Looks like your up in my neck of the woods, so if you ever need a hand I'm always happy to help out a fellow pepper. biggrin.gif

I might hit you up on that... I'm about to start wiring for electronic advance ohmy.gif

hatchbox

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 DOHC Si 1600 Hatch, 86 DOHC turbo Si 1500 Hatch & 86 CRX EW4 Si
QUOTE (curtperry @ Apr 27 2010, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might hit you up on that... I'm about to start wiring for electronic advance ohmy.gif

Not a problem I've done it twice now. wink.gif Only problem is I work a second shift so it's likely that the weekend maybe the only time we would be able to hook up. dry.gif Do you still have the Integra that you got the swap from? unsure.gif We will need a few things from the wiring.
Get more bang 4 your buck.

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (hatchbox @ Apr 27 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a problem I've done it twice now. wink.gif Only problem is I work a second shift so it's likely that the weekend maybe the only time we would be able to hook up. dry.gif Do you still have the Integra that you got the swap from? unsure.gif We will need a few things from the wiring.

The teg chassis is long gone. I had to get it out of my garage. I tore out the ecu and wiring harness minus the part behind the dash, I cut it where it goes behind the climate controls. I also got everything that was vacuum connected out of the teg

Edited by curtperry, 27 April 2010 - 06:04 PM.