57 replies to this topic

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I am happy to say that I did not follow any "hurds" when I did my d16a1 motor swap actully when I did it I did not even Know redpepperracing existed, too bad for me any way here is the story of my molested poor 1985 crx "DX"

1. swap: 1.5 dx motor to 1.3
reason: the car was not mine at the time and the guy blew a head gasket and the 1.3 was the cheepest way to go for the guy.
Setup: this was the worst slowest car ever it had the dx 3spd auto and a 1.3 60 hp motor.

2. swap: 1.3 hf (auto) to 1.5 EW-3 (manual)
reason: I bought a trashy si for very cheep and did not know *much* about cars but decided to swap every thing in to my dx this was as easy as striping my car and then unbolting everything from the si and rebolting it in to the dx.
Setup: FI 1.5 5spd manual

3. swap: 1.5 ew-3 to 1.6 d16a1 (2g zc head)
reason: I plan this but unfortinly my "unexperince" payed off when I did the EW-3 swap I also changed the timing belt but I did not toque the crank bolt correctly 400 miles later the crank pully fell off alone with the timing belt and that engine was tost. I then found a 89 integra and had a issue of sport compact car with a swap done like this but I ended up doing the entire wire harness again.
Setup: FI 1.6 5spd Manual

4.Swap: 89 d16a1 tranny to 89 d16a1 tranny
Reason: I was lazy and did not check the axle seals on the d16tranny therefore I have a tosted gear box.

5. swap: 89 d16a1 to 86 d16a1
Reason: something about going snow boarding to many times and haveing a low car and then bottoming out on some train tracks and cracking the oil pan and still driving and sticking a piston and snaping a connecting rod.
Set up: *this swap is not done but it will be in a few weeks*

all of this in about 1 year and I am only 17 but I have taken this car apart and put it back together so many time its redickuless.

EDIT: here it is as of saturday

Edited by Aren D., 20 May 2004 - 12:57 AM.

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
[QUOTE=cbstdscott,May 19 2004, 05:31 PM][QUOTE=Rampage,May 19 2004, 08:02 PM]Its funny, Scott, you and I are the rare ones that actually want to maximize the potential of the stock motors...  I always get wierd looks from people when I say this is the motor I am sticking with...

My goal is for a D15A3 that can prove to the DOHC guys that this motor has serious potential.  Just wait.

Hopefully at this Fridays Street Legals(if it doesn't rain),(and i don't screw up my driving),we'll see some 13's .(for under 600.00 out of my pocket in add ons)

The D15A3 is a good bottom end, the basic head design is OK. The real restriction to power is the induction side of the head (limited by the tiny TB). If you can get more induction, clean up the head, raise compression and make the cam a bit lumpier you can find some real power in a D15A3 that will be pleasant to live with on the street.

Scott

The D15A3 or A2 has an awesome bottom end! My stock block has taken 5 shots of nitrous(100's)and it has not skipped a beat.(Thats why i love carbs!)
Scott and Rampage , i guess i'm with you guys.(I also believe in running what ever you want.)-I've had a d16z6 sitting at the shop since i got the Rex but this ew2 keeps running stronger and it's at the point where there is no point in even thinking about the z6.Find some forged rod and pistons and this motor could run 200 horses forever(in terms of modified engines anyway)
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
i agree that scott is a little to stubburn.

anyways..

Donor car: 1989 USDM Acura Integra (blacktop)

Receiving car: Carbed CDM 1984 Honda Civic 1500S

Status: finishing body work ( have to return the welder soon), still need to put gas tank back in and put in integra pump, vacuums/emissions crap under hood must be done, coupel wire changes inside, interior is gutted and painted black and needs to be put back in.

Plans: future turbo setup.. waaay in the future. metalic balck paint job.. 16inch core racing rims (around july/august) ,

Warning to whoever wants to do this:
try teh hardest you cna to geta full donor car.. its just soo much cheaper and easier. make sure you have a parts car or extra car for work/school/whatever and dont try to chaneg a tranny when you are drunk..... im scared to try out my car now.

Edited by bigk3000, 20 May 2004 - 02:05 AM.

EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

firstgencrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Red 1986 Honda Civic Si
Engine: 87 Integra auto d16a converted to manual (went the horrific path and bought all the parts seperate instead of just buying a donor)

Receiving Car: 86 CRX Si

Status: Runs, but needs a some work before it is drivable on the street.
Will be dropping a DOHC ZC in my 86 Civic Si when the EW4 dies. That may be a while...
Current upgrades: Integra front brakes; Modified Civic Wagon springs; Lowered; 15"x7" steel rims with Yokohama tires
Parts that I have waiting to be installed: Urethane bushings; Sway bars; Tokiko HP struts and shocks; Strut and shock tower bars
Future Upgrades: DOHC ZC swap (JDM Brown Top); Integra rear disk brakes; Reupholster seats; Repair dents; New paint, likely the same red

Simple87Si

i mean.. geez.. just because we went to the DOHC side doesnt mean that we dont like the D15A3 or we think it does not have potential to become a seriously powerful motor.. come on i drove on this little engine that could for 3 years now.. and boy it has brought me many good times.. personally my engine is starting to become weaker and weaker.. it has 221k miles on it.. and is in need of a rebuild.. but for the price of a rebuild.. i got a 1987 integra RS w/164k miles on it for $400.. and so my point is.. why not spend just as much money on a bigger power plant? something that will breath new life into my CRX.. i know for a fact that if my D15A3 had fewer miles on it.. id rather keep it and boost it.. instead of doing the swap.. but the time has come.. and the DOHC side awaits.. ph34r.gif
user posted image

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
Donor car: 1989 Integra LS
Project Chassis: 1987 CRX HF

Status: Wiring is done, suspension is done (for the most part--just gotta fix a wheel bearing). now working on the fuel system. after that is the motor swap & braking system.

Expect to be running by: ??? my goal is in the next few months. right now i am at a halting point due to money (i have $9 to my name right now and i don't get my first paycheck at work for another week yet).

Edited by shadowboy, 20 May 2004 - 07:03 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
if i knew now back before my swap i probally jjust owuuold of had the ew4 rebuilt with new tranny and turbo...

other thn that the ew4 motor lack the ability to crest 130 HP on a strett build

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Donor car: 1989 Integra LS (119K)
Receiving car: 1986 Civic 1.3 hatch (73K)

I became intrigued by the idea of a swap a couple of years ago (long before I found this website). I came across a couple of different sources that had done the swap and showed how easy it was. However, both of these examples started with an Si chassis. I decided to tackle the swap with a non-Si chassis for the weight savings and a more stealthy appearance.

For all those who wonder why we do swaps instead of upgrades, I'll give my own explanation. I started with a 1.3 liter carbed car. It sucked. There is nothing you can do to effectively make this a fast motor. So I had to swap it for something. Since I had to swap something bigger anyway, why would I not go with the 1.6 twin cam? And I wanted fuel injection, since this will be a street car. So there it is; I needed a bigger motor, wanted FI, and had nothing restricting me to engine size (like racing rules).

And now for the second side of the story . . .

I have a 1985 Civic that is a dedicated E Prepared autocross car. It has a D15 that is fully built and dyno'd at 135 HP and 138 TQ at the wheels. This is nowhere near the engine's potential, but I was interested in an engine that wouldn't need a rebuild every season.

So I know both sides of this argument. As someone who has a car representing each way, I can tell you that each has its advantages and disadvantages. I have seen comments on here criticizing one approach and praising another. Ultimately, your car is what you make of it. If your car is the way you want it, and you have put your time and passion into it, then it is perfect. If anyone wants to come on here and tell you that your method is stupid (especially without trying it themselves), just ignore it. The number of us who appreciate old-school Hondas is small enough as it is. We need to band together and support each other. Constructive criticism is fine, but degrading someone for doing something that you personally would not is, well . . . it's not what we're about. Keep it mature.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

agreziv86E-AS

to scott.......the 1.5 is a strong lil motor.........ive done everything you mentioned to be done to the 1.5.......heck im gonna miss that lil fawker......ive embarassed quite a few people with it and tangled with a few i shouldnt have messed with......but lets face it......the sohc has no high midrange/top end......thats the reason why im going to the dohc side.......now if you compare a d16a1 to a d15a1 (both modified with cams,i/h/e,bigger tb,etc) the dohc will be on top,.........i know this,cause my brothers car has the same mods i have but in a d-zc(il be even on 1st,and on 2nd hell start to about a car,and by 3rd up its 2 cars,after 4th itll be 3cars plus)......the 1.5 is a great lil motor thats great on low end torque and has a very reliable bottom end (motor).....but for me, its time to move on....everything is getting faster......(voice in head says: "MUST GET BIGGER ENGINE") ph34r.gif biggrin.gif ............no worry,the 1.5 will live on in my newly aquired 87 crx dx ........so ill have both worlds to play with wink.gif

donor car: 89 acura integra LS
my car: 86 crx si

BTW:this post was not intended to start an E-Fight........i still love EWs

Edited by agreziv86E-AS, 20 May 2004 - 09:47 AM.

"Been there, done that"

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
I certainly respect Scott & Mark's opinion - notice I never participate in Scott-rear-drum-bashing. However, I disagree with the herd comment. When you've been there & done that with most un-impressive results it's time to move on. The 50's & 60's American muscle car era taught us all that "There is no replacement for displacement". Maybe someone clever will come up with a similar nursery rhyme for more cams.

The kind of power I'm looking for could only be produced with the stock mill either via forced induction or all out race prep. I'm talking about at least double what the EW's/D15's make. Ask gtpilot about the fun-factor of a 180hp 1900 lb CRX.

I stayed on the SOHC path with my '91 Civic, and succeeded in doubling the power output, and it's only now (6 years after starting down that road, and several thousand dollars later) that the car is tuned, reliable, and fun to drive. Of course, that fun wears off way too quickly.

At the time that I divorced myself from vacuum advance and 12-valves I bought an entire '89 integra for less than you could put together a decent junkyard turbo.

I think we'll all agree that a race prep motor would be totally unreasonable for the street.

I guess some of us in the herd are looking for a lot more performance, the least we can do is start with the powerplant Honda never gave us.

I'm not looking to start an arguement by the way, just sharing where I'm coming from.

-TJ

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
why get the max potential out of a d15a3 when you can get the max potential out of a d16a1

besides, im tired of my carbed ew2 piece.

a motor swap enables you to do something special -- get to know your car.
i gutted taht thing good , got rid of the rust , gave it new life.
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

DarkHand

QUOTE (-TJ @ May 20 2004, 08:43 AM)
"There is no replacement for displacement".  Maybe someone clever will come up with a similar nursery rhyme for more cams.

Damn the single cam?
Twice the cam, twice the man?
Double your cam lobes, double your fun?

Oh wait, you said someone clever... Nevermind, sorry. biggrin.gif
DarkHand

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ May 20 2004, 09:58 AM)

Wow. That is one of the best comments I have heard. Amen, brother.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (squareback @ May 20 2004, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ May 20 2004, 09:58 AM)

Wow. That is one of the best comments I have heard. Amen, brother.

Mike

Werd. Before I did my first swap, the most involved thing I did was change the oil, brake pads, and I replaced a rad once. Now doing a swap is not that big a deal, and I know every part of the car intimately (no, not like that, perverts!)
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
QUOTE (rpr @ May 20 2004, 10:22 AM)
and I know every part of the car intimately (no, not like that, perverts!)

whats the line from orthello