D16a1 Problems

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

CRXdan

Symptoms: Car has no top end power, next to no torque, makes a chattering sound at 3-4k rpms, every now and then i think i hear detonation, idles rough at 500rpm and stalls every now and then. I know what you will say 1st, check the timing, I did, twice. Unless it skippped a tooth again.

Coudl it be a strecthed belt causing this? Valves out of adjustment?
I doubt running 87 in it woudl cause stalling and crap, it has to be some sort of problem. I am getting no codes, and ive never had this problem up until now. I think it may be pistin slap. Any ideas?
Also, when I do the valve timing, and I use a ruler to see if the mars are both lining it, one does not line up dead on, if i try to advance or retard the cam its only worse. Strecthed belt?

argggh stoopid car!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan
thats a whole lot of symptoms! ohmy.gif
i guess it could be timing, but have you checked for spark? vaccum lines all in the correct places? Could be an injector, have you tried soaking the nozzles in cleaner?

Just kinda throwing out ideas...

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
bent/burnt valve maybe. have you done a compression test? first though get the t belt timing set right. if its skipping a tooth you may not be tensioning the belt correctly.

CRXdan

i did a compression tes a while back before the problems and they were all 175. I have yet to do one again. Something tells me its the valves chattering, though i dont understand why turning the distributor makes it better/worse.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Mar 26 2004, 06:52 PM)
i did a compression tes a while back before the problems and they were all 175. I have yet to do one again. Something tells me its the valves chattering, though i dont understand why turning the distributor makes it better/worse.

if you are turning the distrib and iget better or worse its timming that is off

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Mar 26 2004, 06:14 PM)
Symptoms: Car has no top end power, next to no torque, makes a chattering sound at 3-4k rpms, every now and then i think i hear detonation, idles rough at 500rpm and stalls every now and then. I know what you will say 1st, check the timing, I did, twice. Unless it skippped a tooth again.

Sounds like one of your running on 3 cylenders...no really once a plug wire "fell" off my car and I dont mean it poped off the spark plug I mean it poped off the spark plug, popped off the dizz and popped off all the things that hold it on....I got them back tho ph34r.gif

Im shure this is not your problem but thats just like a missing cylender

shauno

I have a new belt on my old engine that I just pulled out. it has 500 km's on it. You can have it if you like.
I was off one tooth on one cam and it felt just like you're describing. How does the temp look? Is it running really hot?
The stretch of the belt will not cause that because if it's stretched that much then the teeth would not line up on the gears.

I does sound like a dead cylinder.
Maybe an injector failed.
was the engine sitting for long?
I have lots of spare parts if you need anything. two spare engines and other stuff.
all with wiring and electrics.

clanging could be the dead cylindr just rattling around.
look at your plugs for signs of wetness.
check all your valve clearances.
definately do a leak down test. it will tell you if the valves are seating properly.
let me know about the belt.
Time to kick some ricer butt!

CRXdan

I am doing both a compression and leakdown test tomrow. the timing is right for sure. I am 99% sure its a bent valve. Luckily I have acces to a spare motor so I am safe if anything, but it still got me realllly upset. I doubt its the valve adjustment, and I pulled each plug and they are all a tannish brown color.

Leakdown and compression check tomorow, likley replacing engine saturday night/sunday. I doubt I will make it to the meet this weekend. mad.gif sad.gif

Edited by CRXdan, 27 March 2004 - 12:44 AM.

90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

CRXdan

looks liek con rod bearings... luckily only $30. hopefully my crankshaft aint scored or anything...
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
Hey dan, do you have another D16A1.(prefferably 86-87)?

CRXdan

No only, 2 d16a1's (88-89)
I just put the rebuilt motor in. The valves are a bit noisy, i know its the valves for sure.. but the idle is rock solid unlike the other motor, and it runs very strong!
Clutch is starting to slip though sad.gif
Im gona drive er easy until I get the red car together... which i can hardly wait for now.

Also, someone painted the block red, any way to remove this paint without damaging the aluminum finish?
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It might take a while but a mild wire brush on a drill will do it for ya. Then polish it with a dremmal. Lots of work but nothing like a polished aluminum block. Would you be interested in selling the other 88-89D16A1. If so how much.

CRXdan

do you need a complete engine or just a longblock?
its missing tranny, flywheel, harness, TB, alternator, etc..

Edited by CRXdan, 28 March 2004 - 09:19 PM.

90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Just a long block. as long as it has an intake manifold, valve cover, complete head, amd all pullies

CRXdan

well, let me see first how this motor works out for me... i want to make sure it runs good and all. btw ur doing a hydra arent u?
I got a 4-2-1 header for it as wel...
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo