• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si
    Garage View Garage
86 Civic Si. Started the car and immediately the red battery light lit up (brand new battery). Began driving with headlights and radio turned on. Approximately 2 miles into 5 mile trip the radio started to cut out and the headlights started to dim. Pulled into nearby parking lot and car shut off. Attempted starting the car, no lights, no nothing. Checked alternator belt, nice and tight. Connected jumper cables and attempted to recharge battery. Adjusted battery terminals for about 20 minutes, and nothing happened. No power at all. Help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

phenams

this kept on happening to mine too. it turned out to be the alternator... u need a new one or a rebuild. my only lasted like 2 miles to everything dim to it went completely dark.it sucks!!!

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
If the alternator brushes are badly worn, sometimes you can give the alternator housing a few moderate taps with a hammer and it will work again long enough to get you home.

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
yup alternator going bad, make sure everything is plugged in as it should be into the alternator to make sure nothing got loose... and if that still isn't the issue... it's your alternator need to be rebuilt or replaced... i think there's a how to write up somewhere on this site on repairing alternators or cleaning them or rebuilding, or all three... i just remember it going from dead to alive
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
If you have your alternator rebuilt, it'll be stronger and last longer than if you buy one. Often it'll be cheaper as well.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the advice everyone. A friend and I just towed the car back to my apartment, I'll start troubleshooting tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated.

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Ok... so maybe the battery has a dead cell and it wont recharge? Yes I probably was running off battery juice right before the car died, and the alternator probably has worn (Prior to power down I had an intermittent battery light). Before I start troubleshooting tomorrow morning, any other areas of focus? Thank-you everyone!

Edited by GrrillaWrench, 07 December 2012 - 03:00 AM.

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
So I found a problem. If you look above/behind the airbox and battery you see the cover for the fusible links. The bottom link of the three was blown. Is this caused by a short circuit? What is the best plan of action for troubleshooting the issue?

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
If at any point when you jump start the car, the cables are crossed, it can/will blow that link. If you have a meter and know what you're doing with it, check to see if there's a short causing that fuse to blow. If there is no short, then you'll be fine to go ahead and replace it.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Excellent, thanks a lot man!

GrrillaWrench

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Replaced 55amp fusible link, charged battery. Lights and all accessories work properly. Started car...runs great, but starts to loose power and wants to shut off. I do not have a multimeter. I have an extra alternator, will swap tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.