Greg Gauper 2011 Hp Champion!

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

hondaman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX
Congratulations to Greg for a great drive in the rain!

www.rogues-racing.com

oldrexer

• Gonna go Sith
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99 Q45T, 90 E250, 94 Aerostar, 87 Crx Si, 73 Krager Kustom Koach,68 BMW 1600, Vista FV, Margay Brava KT-100, 77 KZ650B, 72 Raleigh Professional, 66 Schwinn Panther, etc.
+1

Not too bad by James either.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Awaiting Authorisation
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
AWESOME!!! Great Job Greg.......Rain the great equalizer!!!

Wish I was there....

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

tom91ita

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1st gen crx si's and 2nd gen si's
congrats Greg!

i remember crewing for you in the rain at Grattan and you had a great drive then as well.

nice job!

tom

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
Wow!

Still hasn't sunk in yet. Thank you to all for the congrats.
That was the toughest race I have ever driven in my life.
My stomach was in knots this morning trying to guess on tires.
From what I learned on Monday, I thought that it would be too dry for full rains. Normally all I run is either a full wet or full dry setup.
Yesterday I decided to hedge my bets and get a set of hand grooved slicks for my fronts to act as intermediates.
Unfortunately all I have is six good rims for my slicks so I was not able to get a set of grooved tires mounted for my rears.

My plan was to alter my line and driving style to deal with the slicks on the rear. Instead of being able to charge the corners like I did in qualifying on Monday, I would have to drive with an egg under the brake pedal to keep the rears from locking up, and my plan was to tippy-toe thru the corners and then punch the throttle on corner exit.

On the start I lost 2 spots while I sorted things out and came under a lot of pressure from Rogerson and Isley early as I felt out the track.
Then I put my head down and drove my butt off. While my setup hurt me on the front half of the track, the car was on rails on the back half, especially the carousel. I gradually picked off cars one at a time until I got up to Mike and really put the pressure on and squeaked by in the carousel.
I was expecting a challenge from Mike, but he had transmission issues and lost it in 12 while trying to grab a gear. I could not relax as I still had Gagliardi keeping the pressure on me big time. Dick was also on grooved slicks but had them on all four wheels. He would nibble away at my lead on the front half but I was always able to open the gap on the back half, which allowed my to tippy-toe around to keep the car on track. My one close call was going into 12 with an oil flag and a yellow displayed, but I could not tell where in the line the oil was. I was coming up on Drum and took a conservative line under braking, still trying to figure out where the oil was. Unfortunately Drum found it for me and spun and tagged the wall under braking. For the rest of the race turn 12 was slicker than snail snot due to the combination of oil and water on the track.
The second half of the race was the hardest mentally. No mistakes...stay smooth...egg under the brake pedal...watch the gap to Gagliardi shrink & grow each lap. I was never so happy to see a checker.

My wife Tracey & I have been going thru about a million e-mails. Thank you everybody for all the congrats.
A big thank you to Jim Dentici, Bob Clark, Mark & Dan Meller for the help in impound with the tear down.
Working on getting my video posted up on You-tube. The first four laps are pretty entertaining.

Nice job by James to snag fourth. Would have been nice for a fellow RPR member to get on the podium, but he seemed pretty happy with his finish.
James, you had me worried all week. You improved so much since last year. Good Job!

Greg
(Still can't believe it)

Edit - Part 1 is up on You-tube:

Edited by Greg Gauper, 25 September 2011 - 09:07 PM.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Awaiting Authorisation
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
Believe it buddy!! You are the National Champ!

NOW GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO CELEBRATE!!!

You've done yourself proud......and us for that matter..............

Congrats again Greg.......good job, I can't say it enough......

Sincerely......

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage
Congrats Greg, great run. Got up at 6:15 to watch.
You were running hand grooved slicks up front and just slicks in rear ? What was Moser running? I was getting nervous for you seeing the VW closing on the front straight, but looked like you had him handled everywhere else.

Congrats again

Cory

keithg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: SCCA FP/GTL 1985 Honda CRX (EW)
Congratulations Greg!
Keith Gillespie
Hasport Performance
www.hasport.com

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
Congratulations Greg!

Now that you are famous, please remember the little people in the little cars.
biggrin.gif

MK
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
Way to go Greg!!!!
Great Drive in tricky conditions. Ya need to buy some more rims now.

I see those pot metal hubs held up!
FYI, I found out that Houseman was supplying OPM with custom hubs in the ol days. So much for IT cars.

Congrats again.
Buford Out

Mark L

Great job Greg! Thanks for the Video. Loved it.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
Way to go Greg!

Looked like some pretty tricky conditions.

-Chris

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Buford @ Sep 26 2011, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see those pot metal hubs held up!
FYI, I found out that Houseman was supplying OPM with custom hubs in the ol days. So much for IT cars.

FYI - I have been running the custom hubs that Richard from ICP built for the group buy since the begining of the season.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Congratulations Greg! biggrin.gif You deserve it. I really wanted to watch that race live but was kind of pre-occupied that morning. You know you just showed the whole world wide web a good wet line around there don't you? laugh.gif

Just curious, but what are you using to keep the inside of your windshield that clear in those situations? I'm still trying to figure out what will work in my car. the dish detergent trick didn't do squat for me.

Nice Job, FWIW I picked you over the rest last week.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thanks Jay!
I noticed Terry from down your way crossed over to the dark side with a 2nd gen CRX to replace his 4th gen Civic.
He wasn't as fast with the new car, but it might not be developed enough yet.
It's a pretty car though!

I actually went back to using dish soap.
I used that years ago but it was a pain to apply properly.
I tried rain-X anti-fog but that didn't seem to work well in cold weather.

So I went back to soap. The trick for me was to apply it on a warm, dry windshield and buff it in.
I did this the day before the race. If you wait to apply it when you need it i.e. when the window is cold & damp, I don't think it works well.

Not sure if your problem is due to your Lexan window or not. I still run a stock glass windshield.
Maybe experiment with a scrap of Lexan and a tea kettle to see what works for you?