Moto-scooter Build Thread

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
well i showed a little preview in my previous scooter thread:

it may be hard to picture without a vivid imagination so I will give you a better picture:

here is a quick rundown:

I started with a badly wrecked 2008 Jonway scooter. Talked them down from 300 dollars to 100. 4000 miles on the odo. none of the front body panels survived, the front tube is bent, the fork tree is bent, motor mount is bent, bumper arm is bent and other various bits needed mending.

hope you are going left...

what did survive makes a perfect donor for my next project, what i like to call the Moto-scooteR. yes thats a big R like type R BITCHES!

here is a list of bits that are good and i get to re-use.
back tire
13 inch back wheel
(front wheel bent)
brakes (had to buy new front caliper)
taillight
tag mount/light
shocks (front and rear)
gauges
hand controls
switches
inner headlight pods
wire harness
rear fairings (possibly)
center stand
and a 4k mile 150cc gy6!

i just recently got it running, the lady i picked it up from said it did start right up. the gas line was somehow too short and yanked off, starter switch was rigged, the ign switch on the back of the lock cyl destroyed, i think the coil MIGHT be fried (borrowed a friend's) and small clog in the jet of the carb. after all that was fixed, she starts right up! seems to run pretty strong, CVT works with new-ish gates belt and clutch engages well.

i started looking around for some sort of forks, but ended up with the best freebee i could get. my best buddy donated one of his little 50cc pocket bike frames.

since the motor mount looks like this:

i decided it would be easiest to just redesign a whole new mount. I've chopped up the old mount and am in the process of building the new one. I have the design in my head, but building it and getting it welded straight is going to be the trick. i have confidence i can do it tho. I also have confidence in my mount design which uses four poly sway bar bushings for mounts.

QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
And here are pics of what it has become. First up are some frame shots, after i cut out the old engine, cut off the random brackets, and found a gas tank for free:

next we have the motor mock up, and ride height mock up. you can see here i used the stock 50cc swing arm as the rear shock mounts, and can also see my groovy gauge placement. simply look straight down to see how fast you arent going! biggrin.gif and yes my forks here are currently made of the kitchen broom...

and after trying two different times to find straight fork clamps (i bought and cut up one to find out its bent, seen in the previous photo) i found some that had a long AND skinny enough stalk to mount my 50cc bearings to. reuses the nut and thread from the donor scoot.

the triple tree will be about an inch shorter than the pic, its simply mock up at this point still. handlebars will be mounted to where they will just clear underneath the frame. a small ring of radiator hose will be used on either triple tree bar for steering stops

and once i got the frame welded up i moved it to my own garage.

an interesting note at this point- the whole frame minus the forks weighs only 16 lbs. i think i can easily keep the whole frame under 30 lbs, including the forks and accessories.

i plan on using two long pieces of strut to clamp the wheels straight while mocking the motor mount, this should help me get things... well straight.

and here is a nice size comparison so you can see just how short this little bugger is going to be. i can easily put both feet flat on the floor (cant on the benelli) my kick start is turned around to make a foot peg, and once i figure out exactly how my exhaust will be routed then I will make something for the other side as well.

not sure how my body panels will be worked out, if any at all. while i am tempted to do a skeleton bike, i do have a tank panel and some of the other 50cc's original panels. i also cannot decide whether to reuse the scooter's taillight and turn signals. i found a plastic tub that would work well to start a seat pan from, but that will only work with the scooter taillight that im still not sure about. might have to ask some opinions on that one.. i already have found my seat material though... found a women's fake silver snakeskin vinyl jacket. its freakin sweet.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip

quick shot of the carb mockup and motor mount as well. ive got the bike clamped up and motor angle where i like it.

once i get the motor mount welded up then i can move on to adding the center stand section of the old frame to this new frame, and add 3 down tubes from the front to match up with the center stand and kickstand section. they will be made from fairly small tubing, but there will be some bracing for strength.

i am very pleased with the way this bike is coming together. there are a few small details that are bugging me, but i always find a way to make things work.

once i get the frame done, i will start rebuilding the wire harness. since the bike is now half its original size, i have a feeling that i will have lots of extra wire so the plan is to rebuild it with appropriate lengths and tuck and loom everywhere possible.

got a simple 12v tractor accessory light from northern tool to use for a headlight. it doesnt have low and high beams, but hopefully will do the trick. i will change my low high lights to off and on.

i planned on using a modified stock exhaust to keep things quiet, but i was mocking up a dirtbike pipe and discovered i could do a rear center exit pipe IF my springs are stiff enough to keep the suspension from compressing much, if at all. i am hoping since my frame is 1000 lbs less than the stock frame, and i only weigh 140, then these stock springs should not move very much. i will need to put baffles in the dirtbike pipe though as the last dirtbike pipe got me pulled over twice in one day.

also an important development: i am officially putting wheelie bars on this thing. i am convinced due to its light weight frame that it will have a tendency to buck up. plus who else can say they have wheelie bars on their scooter

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
Way Cool Kaymo.

Maybe you could do the full Italian Pimp treatment.
Italian Job

or I like this one:
1956 Vespa TAP

Buford Out

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
odd.. could have sworn i just replied to this

that vespa is a re-creation not original. nicely done tho. ive seen it before and believe me i thought about it!

i got to get to work! i fabbed some stuff up and it looked so good it made me want to ignore any other responsibility and finish it. who needs sleep?

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
small update. got a few things worked on.

put the thumb throttle on hold and rigged up the old jonway twist throttle with a broken cable, a small bolt n some washers, and a vacuum cap for a cable boot. flipped the throttle bracket on the carb and used a cable brake adjuster as well. actually works pretty well and will do till i can get all the parts for my thumb throttle. i even had the same style grip for the twist throttle as my non-twist grips i will be using

this also fixes my immediate need for a left hand hydraulic brake, as i can use the factory jonway setup for now. no idea how my angled handlebars will effect the brake fluid "level" as they are not level. i kind of wanted a remote reservoir, but couldn't think of a cheap way to do this other than find some other 7/8 handlebar motorcycle to rob stuff from. perhaps i could actually put a fitting into the lid of the current master cyl? who knows just a thought

also beginning to think about some sort of key start. it would eliminate a button from my handlebars and would offer some small bit of security. was considering using a stock honda civic ignition mounted somewhere and putting a bump switch on the "deadbolt" for the steering lock that would act as an ignition kill that would mimic the run switch being off.

got the intake manifold, carb, intake piping and filter almost done. it will have to be tweaked slightly once the frame is done as it actually goes around the center down tube (very cool design IMO) and i figure out a way to mount the air filter pod. ended up using bits of the stock U tube as well as a bit of intake tube cut from my 99 saturn. dont worry it was from before the air filter.

i also switched the brake pads from the broken caliper to the new caliper. i got tired before i could grease the pins and reassemble but i will do that tomorrow. then i plan on figuring out where the best place to splice my rear brake cable will be and splicing it. when i go to the thumb throttle i will be switching the brakes left to right, because the thumb throttle is from an ATV and had dual brake cables. i will then lose my brake switch on that side, so i planned on using a bump switch on the splice block (couple of plates n bolts clamping the cables). this means i need to think ahead about where to place this. also just to note i am splicing the brake cable because its a million times too long and im too cheap to get a custom cable made right now. i will get one made if my splice ever fails but i doubt it.

i am almost 100% sure i am going to use the stock jonway taillight and turn signals. looking too "altezza" looking, i ended up blacking out the housing which came out really good, and really cleaned the lenses. gotta get pics of that. while wanting to go custom at first, i must keep in mind i am trying to stay under the radar... DOT approved lighting is probably a good way to go in this instance. still in search of appropriate looking front turn signals... nothing catching my eye yet. using the stock taillight also means i am building a mount to attach the factory luggage rack which is occasionally handy, also considering this bike has little to no storage otherwise. it also hides the top of the light that is fairly ugly. also something to build wheelie bars off of smile.gif

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
hey guys, i noticed that i have gotten a decent number of views on this and my other scooter thread, but not many comments

if you have ANYTHING as far as comments, suggestions, a part that you think would go well with my scooter, or just want to bash me for riding a scooter, please feel free and post up. i love feedback

THANKS

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
I can only say WOW, and I'm glad you work on my car biggrin.gif

monkeey

• Banana Powered Monkey
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2007 Honda Fit Sport, 1987 Honda Civic Wagon RT4WD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (kaymo @ Apr 15 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys, i noticed that i have gotten a decent number of views on this and my other scooter thread, but not many comments

if you have ANYTHING as far as comments, suggestions, a part that you think would go well with my scooter, or just want to bash me for riding a scooter, please feel free and post up. i love feedback

THANKS

should have left the broom as part of the frame, bristle handlebars !!!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
wouldnt be too comfortable. im planning on making this something thats actually comfortable to ride. the benelli was too tall and i hated the riding position.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
This is totally badass Kaymo!! Now I'll have to come back out there and ride this one. lol Just don't crash this time.... ph34r.gif

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
this one will be much lower to the ground... so a lot less distance to fall haha. nah this one will be a whole lot harder to get squirrely being so low and choppered.

1986_crx_si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
Kaymo,

LOVE IT!!!!!!

-Aaron Devenny
5 reasons cars are better than women

5) You can rub and wax a car in your driveway and not get arrested
4) Car's don't get mad at you for no reason every 28 days
3) You can't put a bumper sticker that says "How's my driving? Dial 1-800- EAT-S*IT!" on a woman.
2) You can sell your car to a complete stranger and nobody will get mad at you
1) Women can't go 200 miles per hour.

letank

QUOTE (Buford @ Apr 13 2011, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way Cool Kaymo.

Maybe you could do the full Italian Pimp treatment.
Italian Job

or I like this one:
1956 Vespa TAP

Thanks for the vespa link,..... sorry officer I pushed the wrong button, I was looking for the blinker..... I have to mail it to my french friends so they can investigate..... In the mean time we could fabricate sell a few to the insurgents in Libya.... There might be a demand... may be going for some more modern bikes, such as a YZ....

Back to our scheduled program, this scoot is really a cool build.

Michel

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Progress?