Fuel Filter

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si
Ok so I need a new fuel filter, I have to ease around in the car, anymore than 1/4 throttle it bogs out and sputters... Went to local parts store, asked for fuel filter for 87 Integra.. 24.99 I laughed and bought one of these instead for 4 bucks....

This is fine correct?

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
we need a little more detail about your car. im assuming you have a browntop swap since you were looking for a filter for a 87 integra. if thats the case, you got the wrong filter. in order to use that one in your hand you would have to cut your banjo fittings off your fuel lines and then clamp the hoses to your new filter and then it's not guaranteed that it will work. the filter you have in your hand is meant for carb'd car and im not sure it will hold up to the high pressure of a fuel injected system.

from my findings, $24 or so is about the going rate for the integra filter
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yes, It is a brown-top swap.. I Used one of these exact same filters in the stock Si engine a few years ago, and it worked fine ... I Hope it works out same for this engine as well...

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
if it worked in an SI i cant see why it wont work with the browntop. especially since you are probably still using the same SI pump anyway so the fuel pressure is still the same. good luck and let us know how it works out
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yes sir I'm still using stock SI pump.. I'm going outside now to get on this, I'll Post information when I'm Done... Ty for all the information!!

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK, After further investigation, Am I Mistaken or Is there only 1 Fuel Filter? I thought there was one behind the drivers door, near the fuel tank/pump, but According to This There is Only 1 Under The Hood, Correct?

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I changed the filter under the hood, the problem persists, I have no idea what could be causing this now.. Hard to Rev, Sputters.. More Than 1/4 Throttle The Engine Bogs Down And Sputters.. Any Ideas? New Fuel Filter, New Plugs and Wires, Premium Gas + 2 Bottles of Injector Cleaner..

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
How old is your timing belt? Have you been driving in a "spirited" manner recently? I am betting that you timing belt slipped tooth and your cam timing is off.

Your fuel pressure line is under a lot of pressure. Is that fuel filter rated for high pressure? I would hate to see fuel spewed all over a hot engine.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
The filter in the top pic looks like the suction line filter for a carb'd DX motor. This filter is located in the rear near the tank. On a DX there are two fuel filters. A suction filter to protect the pump and a pressure filter located between the mechanical fuel pump and the carb, located along side the valve cover under the air filter. It's brass with barbed fittings for the hose. The mechanical fuel pump on a DX motor operates at relatively low pressure...like 2 to 3psi maximum.

Any FI car (Integra or Civic/CRX Si) will have a metal filter designed for the higher pressure of an injected system (around 40-45psi). It is mounted on the firewall.

I would strongly advise against trying to make the filter in the picture work by cutting off the banjo fittings.

The plastic filter was not designed for high pressure, it was designed to operate at a slight vaccuum. It uses the metal crush washers to insure no leakage at the higher working pressure. You are taking a big chance of a fuel leak in the engine compartment by making hose clamps work if you cut off the banjo fittings.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I got this motor from an 87 integra in the junkyard, bought whole car for 500 bucks, it fired right up in the junkyard so i got it.. umm i havent messed with the timing belt, it could be original for all i know, Should i try adjusting the ignition timing by turning the the distributor?

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Not to add any more grief, but, You may need to flush the pump, Sediment can fill the front of the pump causing a clog. This will give you the same symptoms you described.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

White86CRXSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
How should I go about flushing the pump?

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (White86CRXSi @ Mar 28 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is fine correct?

NO, it is not fine. Doesn't matter whether you've done it before and it worked. That filter was not designed to be used in a modern high pressure fuel injection system. To go along with what Greg said, if you removed the original banjo fittings that went to the stock filter you show in your post (#6) then you have crated a serious fire hazard that you're driving around in.

I completely understand trying to save a buck here and there but not at the risk of potentially hurting yourself, or others. Please don't use that filter. It is NOT safe.

FYI for those that don't know about it, there is another filter on the FI cars. It's in the fuel pump inlet and can get clogged. Here's the best part about it though, you don't have to replace it, you just remove it, clean it, and put it back.

Shown here: Pg 11-43

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i found two of those stuffed in the fuel lines of my crx smile.gif
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
They said I was crazy. Nah, I couldn't remember which of my auto's had them. Aparently, its all of them.

Thanks for posting this Jay.

Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.