Headliner

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

SilvaFistz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 HONDA CRX
just wanted to see if any of u guys have customized your headliner. i'm thinking of doing something to mine and i just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks
SilvaFistz

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've done about 6 different custom headlines to my crx's over the years, what are you looking to do?

I've done an insert to match the seats, channel's, striped, graphic's to match paint job's and clean solids. I've also done head consols for everything from stereo's to map lighting.

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

SilvaFistz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
^^do u have any pics? and was it hard to do?

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Here is the only picture I have uploaded at the moment, Not the best shot but you get the idea.

This one is plain and simple, the head console has lights and storage and was originally designed for strereo equipment.

I switched back to the oem mirror as you can see in this shot.

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
I worked at a shop where custom headlines where one of the things. It is real easy to do. Removing and trim holding your headliner up. Remove you headliner. We used to then take the head liner and lay it across a couple of saw horses. Remove the old fabric, there will be a layer of foam under that. Most of the foam should come up (three types of foam/fabric: Factory old, comes off the easiest. Factory new, takes a little more work. And someone else's job, This one can be a pain.) with the fabric, the reaming foam has to be removed. This can be accomplished by taking a scrub brush to the foam. It should fall and crumble off. Take a air hose to it to remove the extra loose foam and dirt. Take a sheet of headliner fabric and lay it across the headliner, fold it in half(hamburger style). Spray fabric adhesive on the headliner and the other half you folded over. Quick before the glue drys, pull the fabric over and gently press down, and pull tight all around to remove any wrinkles. Fold the unglued half over the glued half and repeat. Now let the fabric dry. Cut around the excess fabric off leaving about 1/2'' or more hanging off. Now spray glue to the back side and fold the 1/2'' flaps over so it is tucked under, nice clean edges. Make a "X" where the light hole is and glue that down to the back side. And there you have it. Oh yea we would send the visor across the street scene we did not know how to sew or the customers would leave them off(who uses them anyways). I know i left out a few details, but ask me if you need any more explanations and sorry i never took any pictures of the process or any other pictures of my headlines (never thought of it at the time). I say go for it.
1987 Honda CRX DX

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
For your headliners(84-87 Honda's), do not try to remover the oem headliner from the cardboard mold. On these it is part of the structure of the headliner and should not be removed as it will distroy the headliner or at least create a shit load of extra work to get it back smooth again. Clean yours real good to get dirt and oils off so the glue has a good clean surface to bond to. If you have any kind of heat in the summer at all you will want to use High Temp spray glue installing the new headliner, general purpose glue can come loose with the heat and wind from the window being down in the summer and should not be used on headliner. If you have an Si it is not a good idea to add padding to the sunroof because it will drag on the roof when you open it causing the sunroof headliner to get dirty and draging the dirt on the paint on you roof that could cause scratching. If you need the sunvisors upholstered you can drop them in the mail to me along with the fabric you do the headliner in and I can reupholster them for you.

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

SilvaFistz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (WOLFCRX @ Oct 18 2008, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is the only picture I have uploaded at the moment, Not the best shot but you get the idea.

This one is plain and simple, the head console has lights and storage and was originally designed for strereo equipment.

I switched back to the oem mirror as you can see in this shot.

Doug

thats pretty cool!
and yeah i was just looking to re-upholster the headliner with different material, maybe some camouflage style or something like that

SilvaFistz

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks to both of u that really helps
one more thing how hard is it to remove the pillars to get into the headliner?

Thanks again
SilvaFistz

jd42

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: need 1985 Honda CRX driver fender
Hey there,

I have looked all over the internet and can't find out how to remove the headliner from a first generation DX. So I would like to second that request. I got everything off that I can. The sun visors, rear view mirror, pass handle, two rear cloths hangers, and dome light. I took off the seat belts off the pillars behind the drivers & pass. head.
It looks like those plastics need to come off too. But then I got to remove all the plastic in the rear cargo area. I don't know how to do that and I have never done that before. So what do I have to do to get the headliner out. Someone please help me. moira

also
Need 1985 CRX driver side fender

CRX HF

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1984 CRX HF, 1986 CRX HF, & 1987 Civic SI
You're going to have to either unsnap the plastic pieces or remove them all together. It's not as hard as it looks, just keep on pulling anything that is preventing you from removing your headliner, but be careful not to break any plastic pieces.

CRX HF
Posted Image

jd42

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: need 1985 Honda CRX driver fender
Hey thanks for the help. I finally got it off. But there was a casualty on the plastic on the front pillar. I will do a write up on it so those w first gens will know how big a job it is if they are thinking about doing it. I did have to take off the rear side plastic and the back plastic of the rear cargo. Geez who thought that design up?
Need 1985 CRX driver side fender