The Kakabox Build

• You cannot reply to this topic
2000 replies to this topic

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
...NA Booster continued:

I noticed that there still seemed to be deflection in the booster when the pedal side push rod was moved. Taking apart the valve body, I found two springs which allowed some deflection before the pedal's force was transferred to the mc.

I replaced the two springs w/two 0.80 diameter, .75 thick delrin spacers:

...it's solid now!

Since the booster is now NA, I didn't want it to act like a piston pumping air everytime I hit the brakes...so I removed the diaphragm:

...I also cut off the vacuum line 'nipple' from the front cover since it will no longer be used:

I painted the front cover and reassembled the 'booster' w/o any of the seals & boots required to prevent vacuum leaks, since they were no longer necessary.

...gee, looks like I forgot a few parts!

unsure.gif laugh.gif

The NA booster is now a direct, solid connection btwn the pedal and the mc...in theory, the brake pedal should feel much firmer...we shall see!

Cheers! cool.gif

Edited by kakabox, 02 July 2006 - 02:43 PM.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
Someday, when the Kakabox is in the PAP car cemetary, someone will be very confused to find $1 in the brake booster.

Just imagine the bewilderment as it washes over them, then how happy they will be when they realize that your booster just paid for half of their admission!

Your booster will be like a tiny time capsule. I love it! biggrin.gif

Edited by lxndr, 02 July 2006 - 04:55 AM.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kakabox @ Jul 2 2006, 03:34 AM)
After the retainer and spring are removed, remove the mc output rod retainer and output rod and...what's this?  It looks like a source of a mushy pedal!  rolleyes.gif

Could replacing this disk be a good way to remedy pedal travel in a "non-racing" repair of someones brake booster?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Just imagine the bewilderment as it washes over them, then how happy they will be when they realize that your booster just paid for half of their admission!

Actually when this all transpires the numismatic value of these coins will be so greate that they could probably buy a complete CRX/Civic! tongue.gif JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (kakabox @ Jul 2 2006, 02:34 AM)
NA Brake Booster

Another great KAKA-Exclusive writeup! Very cool! I will be giving this a try when I upgrade my braking system.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 2 2006, 06:33 AM)
Could replacing this disk be a good way to remedy pedal travel in a "non-racing" repair of someones brake booster?

Maybe some, but probably not all of the travel. You should be able to reduce the 'mushiness' of the pedal somewhat by just replacing the rubber disc w/a solid one...and still retain the vacuum boost.

From what I could tell, most of the travel seems to come from the 'valve body' w/it's inner and outer 'valve springs'. Replacing the springs w/spacers such as I did, defeats the valving of the vacuum, probably rendering the booster useless in providing braking assistance.

I agree w/jsgprod's statement, however: "It really makes me wonder why they even put power brakes on these things, you don't need it. Not only that, the brake pedal feel is dramatically improved!"

...I'm looking fwd to a more linear, direct brake pedal and feel w/this mod.

Cheers!

Edited by kakabox, 02 July 2006 - 03:06 PM.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kakabox @ Jul 2 2006, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 2 2006, 06:33 AM)

Maybe some, but probably not all of the travel. You should be able to reduce the 'mushiness' of the pedal somewhat by just replacing the rubber disc w/a solid one...and still retain the vacuum boost.

From what I could tell, most of the travel seems to come from the 'valve body' w/it's inner and outer 'valve springs'. Replacing the springs w/spacers such as I did, defeats the valving of the vacuum, probably rendering the booster useless in providing braking assistance.

I agree w/jsgprod's statement, however: "It really makes me wonder why they even put power brakes on these things, you don't need it. Not only that, the brake pedal feel is dramatically improved!"

...I'm looking fwd to a more linear, direct brake pedal and feel w/this mod.

Cheers!

This is an excellent idea for dd applications as long as it doesn't lock up your brakes everytime you apply them. I thought the booster helped keep the brakes from locking up?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (strudel @ Jul 2 2006, 09:49 AM)

Actually when this all transpires the numismatic value of these coins will be so greate that they could probably buy a complete CRX/Civic! tongue.gif JS

laugh.gif

...maybe I should stick a "Money Inside" sticker on the outside of the booster to alert the PAP maggots! wink.gif ...but, stand aside as they'll all be rushing to 'pee on it' to claim it as theirs! ohmy.gif blink.gif

wink.gif

toxicshit

hey kakabox another good idea for my project biggrin.gif thnx for the writeup !!

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 2 2006, 01:09 PM)
This is an excellent idea for dd applications as long as it doesn't lock up your brakes everytime you apply them.  I thought the booster helped keep the brakes from locking up?

No, the booster's job is too provide some additional force in actuating the mc...so you don't have to press down on the brake pedal as hard.

If anything, the booster actually promotes brake lock-up by magnifying your leg force, pushing the fluid harder than sometimes you'd like...like in a panic stop situ.

That's why a booster-less brake system is sometime easier to modulate, since your leg pressure is more linearly related to the braking function. You have more 'feel'.

Edited by kakabox, 02 July 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
SWEET!

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Nice work as always. I need to take time to take more pictures, just too busy and hands are too dirty to grab the camera most of the time.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
so by doing this, you can hog out the hole for a larger MC, without having to worry about keeping it sealed, so as not to loose vacuum?
wes g.

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (oldschoolimport @ Jul 2 2006, 05:32 PM)
so by doing this, you can hog out the hole for a larger MC, without having to worry about keeping it sealed, so as not to loose vacuum?

Yes...like enlarging the hole for a 'teg mc! As long as the you keep the enlarged hole somewhat centered I don't see a problem w/that.

So, there's another option for the 'teg disc brake swap: make a NA booster and enlarge the hole for the 'teg mc!

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Finishing the Integra Type 'R' Rear Stabar Install:

I finally got around to finishing the install of the itr rear stabar...just so you know, I did try to 'chassis' mount the bar w/drop links to the axle, but I just couldn't make it work w/this bar, so: axle mount it is w/all it's evil unsprung wt! ph34r.gif

...anyway, here are the drop link chassis brackets I made out of 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle:

...they bolt up to the frame rails where the rear tow hooks used to go.

Here's the drop link parts: 3/8" stainless female rod ends and matching jackscrews from http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Here's the left drop link installed:

...and the passenger side:

With the ITR stabar's short lever arms and 22 mm (7/8") diameter, this bar should provide plenty of rear roll stiffness.

Here's the big picture...

Cheers! cool.gif

Edited by kakabox, 07 July 2006 - 09:16 AM.