Erratic Idle

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

pack23

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
All,

I am having trouble with what seems to be very common with this car amongst the 1G Community.

I just finished putting the engine together after a disatrrous sinking sleeve that ruined my engine but now the idle is acting wacky.

So the car will warm up, as soon as it is warm, the Idle will start boucing from 2K to 1.8K and so forth. So I opened up the fast idle valve and I tightened and that reduced my RPMs to bounce between 1.2K to 1.0K even when the car is warm.

I have plurged the cooling system, topped it off, I checked the O2 sensor, I have checked all the vacuum lines but it still not going away. I took the fast idle valve off to check for leaks and decided to run the car without this valve by plugging the holes from the manifold and the coolant lines. Now the idle is rock steady at 1K, but once in a while, once the car is warm, during stop lights, the idle will start boucing between 1.2K and 1K again, but it no longer has the valve....what gives?

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this? I would really appreciate any input you may have..

thanks,
j

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thats a tough one, I would take the valve apart, clean it thoroughly, crank the inside down tight and put it back on if you want it. I would check the TPS and fuel pressure, and look for any vacuum leaks.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

RexBoy21

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si
i have somewhat of a similar situation. when i start my car up it starts at 2 grand. then after it warms up it will go to 750. is this normal? ive been told its my thermostat.

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (RexBoy21 @ Apr 4 2005, 07:50 PM)
i have somewhat of a similar situation. when i start my car up it starts at 2 grand. then after it warms up it will go to 750. is this normal? ive been told its my thermostat.

Thats what it is supposed to do! When it is not working correctly it surges up and down for several minutes.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

xsolidjacksonx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx hf
Thats what it is supposed to do! When it is not working correctly it surges up and down for several minutes.
Glen

really now?....well that is good to kwno...mine does the same thing..and i have been worried about it...ill start it and it will rev its self up for quite a while..thank god biggrin.gif ...the last thing i need is another hole in my wallet

RexBoy21

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si
ok ok just making sure

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
sounda like a possible tps sensor. also if your fast idle valve is gunked up itll do it, take it apart and spray it with carb cleaner.

Sean

tencutty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch
i had a similar problem too, the lower vac advance on distributer was broke off , also the pcv was leaking.
Aoccdring to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtsy,it deosn't mttar in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny imprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the right pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

86hatchy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch,07gsxr600r
just to clear things up.the eic vvalve is under the throttle body.and the fast idle valve is behind the intake manifold.correct. im trying to figure out my problems.which im believing that my computer is bad.
86 Si Hatch - SOLD
05 Si Hatch - SOLD
06 GG EVO IX-DAILY DRIVER
07-GSXR600-MOUNTAIN WARRIOR

jay_blu1983

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic SI with D16A1
    Garage View Garage
I have this same problem but when I un hook the MAP sensor and it will hold 750 but its rough... I have the emishshion box removed, so I have no idle control valve and no top line on the distrubitor. I have the ac advance pluged. and all the lines to the box pluged. It worked fine for a while then it stared. I hear its the TPS on the Throttle body. I think I will go and get a new one at the pull a part. well see so what TB fit on this intake?
Your Car MUST be fast!!!!

Cause you were halling ass whan I passed you

SportInjectedClub

RIP old Blu/gray SI 1985 to oct 2004
RIP Silver/Black DX 1984 to July 2007