Free Power From Stock U.s. Carb

• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

3rdgen

• A civic by anyother name would still be just as sweet
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic <carb> 97 mpv, 2003 tiburon<supercharged>
THIS IS AN ADDENDUM TO ELDO'S VERY INFORMATIVE POST ON MODIFYING A STOCK CARB.
OK we all know that opur carbs are different here in the U.S....in order to get or secondaries to open sooner I tried sveral ways to do this, from using a constany hard vaccum to the diaphram, and also alot of trial and error... im sure someone can simplify this mess im starting, but this mod does work, and I actually caught a wheel going into second.. if you use a constant hard vaccum source, the engine surges, and "gives you gas". what i did is ran a line from the secondary diaphram into a "T" fitting and then connected my number 11 and my number 8 vaccum line to it....done.... yeea yea..i still kept my emissions intact, but it is all unhooked and plugged...
Off the line, i noticed a growl to my engine immediatly, and when I gave it gas, it jumped tolife, i had to change gears quick, and when I did iI caught a wheel. Now crusing along i third going about 450-60 mph, i stepped on it..more pull...no highway time yet. but its fun 'round town.By the way, I did screw with my timing, idle, and fuel mixture after the original run, and now its even more responsive..

I am an idiot when it comes to most things, but this was friggin easy.Thanks ELDO for opening a door, and DARKHAND for helping close it.
CHRIS

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (3rdgen @ Jan 24 2005, 06:40 PM)
Now crusing along i  third going about 450-60 mph, i stepped on it..more pull...no highway time yet.
CHRIS

See, carbs are worthless.My CRX with fuel injection at least hits 650 mph in 3rd gear. I usually surpass mach 1 half way thru the rev band in 4th gear. cool.gif

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
HOLY SHIT 650 MPH!!!!! BADASS do you have 20"s and neons too?? that would be pH@t @$$ $H!T. BUT THE TRUE QUESTION IS:

CAN YOU BEAT THE MELINIUM FALCON??? I hear it can do the parsect in 14 seconds......... or w/e the Fu kthey say
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ Jan 24 2005, 10:03 PM)
HOLY SHIT 650 MPH!!!!! BADASS do you have 20"s and neons too?? that would be pH@t @$$ $H!T. BUT THE TRUE QUESTION IS:

CAN YOU BEAT THE MELINIUM FALCON??? I hear it can do the parsect in 14 seconds......... or w/e the Fu kthey say
--zak--

LOL! You are a new class of Ricer, the StarWars Geek Ricer. HAIL TO THE WOOKIE.

ANYWAY.....

FI is better, but not as good as well tuned Mukuni's or Webers......
I have nothing...

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
I think that this should possibly be added to something or stickied or something. Heck, maybe even...nevermind, I'm still 1/2 asleep. Although I'm impressed, I've never heard of anyone going from 450mph down to 60 that quick.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

DarkHand

Very cool. smile.gif Sounds similar to the setup for emmisions-removed carbs?

The leftmost vacuum hose is connected to a vacuum port on the carb, which T's out to the secondary diaphragm and the diaphram that keeps the float bowl closed to the charcoal canister.

I just don't have a vacuum gauge yet and am not sure how strong the vacuum is from this port, or whether it's rpm dependant or not. If you're having good results, we obviously want to try and mimic your setup, too. smile.gif It may already be setup similar to your method, it may not.
DarkHand

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
carbs are horrible, in my experience with carbed 3g civics (1500 and 1300) they have a bit of power up to about 4500-5000 but up the top of the rev range they basically just flatten out and have no power gain at all, now i admit all the carbed civics i have driven may not have been tuned well or somthing but they are shocking compared to fuel injection, i mean when we took the carbed engine out of my sedan and put the fuel injected engine in the power increase was insane, it was like a completely new car, and then when i moved onto the zc hatchback im never going back to sohc injected again.
ok i lie i might have a carbed civic as a thrasher cause thats one thing they are good for but thats it wink.gif

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
maybe that's because 91hp > the 76hp that the carb'd motors had? and because their redlines were lower? doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it being carb'd
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!
You stepped on my sneaker meng!

3rdgen

• A civic by anyother name would still be just as sweet
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic <carb> 97 mpv, 2003 tiburon<supercharged>
QUOTE (Kain @ Jan 25 2005, 05:12 PM)
maybe that's because 91hp > the 76hp that the carb'd motors had?  and because their redlines were lower?  doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it being carb'd

i was going to say something similar, but i almost thought that was obvious...take a higher output engine into a lighter car...man.. maybe thats the way to go...

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si, 1985 honda civic (the beater), 1987 civic si (converted), 1988 toyota markII
    • Image Gallery
um yea ok...... the redlines on the the 1500 engines are the same, 6500 rpm, what i said was that the carbed engines basically made no extra power after about 4500-5000 rpm, they just flatten out, whereas a fuel injected engine makes power all the way to redline.

nivek2002

I agree ^

Stock, yes. But that can be tuned out if you know what your doing.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (Jonno2002 @ Jan 25 2005, 01:12 PM)
carbs are horrible, in my experience with carbed 3g civics (1500 and 1300) they have a bit of power up to about 4500-5000 but up the top of the rev range they basically just flatten out and have no power gain at all, now i admit all the carbed civics i have driven may not have been tuned well or somthing but they are shocking compared to fuel injection, i mean when we took the carbed engine out of my sedan and put the fuel injected engine in the power increase was insane, it was like a completely new car, and then when i moved onto the zc hatchback im never going back to sohc injected again.
ok i lie i might have a carbed civic as a thrasher cause thats one thing they are good for but thats it wink.gif

Go away.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Jonno2002

• Administrator
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
why cause i shared my opinion on a PUBLIC FORUM, whats up your ass

Edited by Jonno2002, 25 January 2005 - 09:56 PM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (Jonno2002 @ Jan 25 2005, 09:54 PM)
why cause i shared my opinion on a PUBLIC FORUM, whats up your ass

Maybe if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

I could do without the crude comment at the end there, but that's another story.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 25 January 2005 - 10:05 PM.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

ChrisF-dude