Why don't people use at least their first names

• You cannot reply to this topic
96 replies to this topic

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
WARNING: I am feeling grumpy today, so this is going to sound a bit like a FLAME... Read on...

Now I am going to veer off course a bit here... And, it's going to seem like I am picking on J., but I am just using him as an example of something I have always wondered about. You can call it a generational thing if you like. tongue.gif

Remember, I am not REALLY picking on the kakabox.

Why is it most people don't use at least their first names on a list like this? You can have whatever damn user name you want, for whatever damn reason. But do I feel comfortable addressing J. as "Mr. kakabox"? Hell no!

I know the kakabox and what his real name is. I also have the highest regards for this very talented and generous man. But I don't feel comfortable calling him by his name if he doesn't us it on this list himself.

I always sign with my name David, but my user is a very boring firstgencrx. I have also noticed most of the older members, not all, but most use their names as well. Maybe it IS a generational thing.

Do some of you younglings really believe you are somehow hidden by not using your real names? Are you afraid to let anyone know who you are? Is it a false privacy thing?

Maybe I am too old school, but I like addressing people by name. If I f*#k up and piss someone off, I feel they have a right to at least know who I am. I have always found confrontation to be a good thing. Some of my closest/best friends are people who have really pissed me off!

This is the most awesome and friendly lists I have ever been a member. I just don't get why people don't use their real names.

END RANT!

I feel better now. tongue.gif

Take care all!

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

DarkHand

QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Mar 26 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WARNING: I am feeling grumpy today, so this is going to sound a bit like a FLAME... Read on...

Now I am going to veer off course a bit here... And, it's going to seem like I am picking on J., but I am just using him as an example of something I have always wondered about. You can call it a generational thing if you like. tongue.gif

Remember, I am not REALLY picking on the kakabox.

Why is it most people don't use at least their first names on a list like this? You can have whatever damn user name you want, for whatever damn reason. But do I feel comfortable addressing J. as "Mr. kakabox"? Hell no!

I know the kakabox and what his real name is. I also have the highest regards for this very talented and generous man. But I don't feel comfortable calling him by his name if he doesn't us it on this list himself.

I always sign with my name David, but my user is a very boring firstgencrx. I have also noticed most of the older members, not all, but most use their names as well. Maybe it IS a generational thing.

Do some of you younglings really believe you are somehow hidden by not using your real names? Are you afraid to let anyone know who you are? Is it a false privacy thing?

Maybe I am too old school, but I like addressing people by name. If I f*#k up and piss someone off, I feel they have a right to at least know who I am. I have always found confrontation to be a good thing. Some of my closest/best friends are people who have really pissed me off!

END RANT!

Take care all!

David

I don't think it's a false identity thing, it's more of an 'alternate identity' thing. You're in this whole alternate universe, you need an alternate name to go along with it. smile.gif

My name's back from when I was 15, picking a name for the internet that I thought sounded cool. I think it's almost lame now, and I can't stand to be called it in real life, but... It's my name, and has been for over a decade now. I couldn't possibly consider going by anything other than Darkhand when online... that or my real name, which I also have no problem with.

BTW, I'm Paul. smile.gif
DarkHand

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Mar 26 2008, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's a false identity thing, it's more of an 'alternate identity' thing. You're in this whole alternate universe, you need an alternate name to go along with it. smile.gif

My name's back from when I was 15, picking a name for the internet that I thought sounded cool. I think it's almost lame now, and I can't stand to be called it in real life, but... It's my name, and has been for over a decade now. I couldn't possibly consider going by anything online other than Darkhand or my real name, which I also have no problem with.

BTW, I'm Paul. smile.gif

It's an honor to meet you Paul!

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Hey DB,

Do you know why I sign everything with JS at the end? Being an Air Traffic Controller we always had to give our initials at the end of a conversation with another controller to verify that we understood. So hence, it is a habit that I continue on in the forums.

So there you go, it's Jerry "Strudel" S...... for my last name. The Strudel comes form the fact that we all end up with nicknames at work and that I was coined "Gerhart von Strudel" as they figured my first name was short for Gerald (NOT) and I always had some good European pastry for snacks and didn't get fat like the rest of them.

But I must admit that when PM's are sent very rarely does anybody sign their name. I always do in a PM or email. Maybe as David said it is our upbringing and generation. Good thing we can still keep up with with the young guns! laugh.gif

Good hijack whoever started this. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
(but if anyone out there has trouble figuring out my name... well you have bigger problems than cvcc and vacuum lines or chassis flex!)
-zak

Edited by zakats, 26 March 2008 - 05:15 PM.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

ImmortalSoul219

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege Working on 85 crx si B series
Same as Paul AKA DarkHand back many years ago playing halo and on AIM I always used ImmortalSoul. But on PM's I always sign my name at the end.

Ben

"Well Im not a mechanic but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
this is like another 'what does your name mean?' thread
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My name is John, there are too many fucking Johns around, if you referred to me as John everyone would ask which John. Then you would say Screech/John, so if I go by Screech, a nick name I've had since `89, there is less confusion to start with. tongue.gif

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

C8V6C

I use my name sometimes....when it is business oriented. For instance, when I am buying or selling parts/cars, I put "-Shawn" at the end of it. They may need to call me to complete the deal, so I guess that is the main reason. Also, I feel more comfortable buying something from someone if I know their name.

When I normally post....just seems like it would be repetitive.

-Shawn tongue.gif

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I dont use mine on board posts, but in PM's i do if i remember. Seeing as nobody says my screename right i should start posting my name, lol.

-Brandon
Posted Image

ChrisF-dude