Street Bike Carbs

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
would the MPG go way down if i went to street bike carbs or would it be in the same ranger?

i think it would go down but who knows
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I run 99 yamaha r1 carbs and would have to say the fuel usage is around the same as the efi.

That said when you have that extra power you tend to use it. 4 x 41mm throttle plates wide open on a angry twin cam is an adictive sound!! . As we all know You don't get somthing for nothing so I tend to use a little more gas then I did with efi.

I am sure if i drove it like i did when it was efi it would do well.

WickedClown

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic powwwah suck my SOHC
see thats just it im not convinced yet that you can run bike carbs on a street set up and have reliability and have descent petrol km's ( gas milage lol )
i have never heard of bike carbs on a daily driven car ( regular trips to town ( 50 kms ( miles whatever ) back and forth ) .. and this forum hasnt had alot of feed back on it so im not convinced yet
just my two cents anyway
at least with webers mikunis or delortos they are very tuneable

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Kurt @ Jun 8 2007, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I run 99 yamaha r1 carbs and would have to say the fuel usage is around the same as the efi.

That said when you have that extra power you tend to use it. 4 x 41mm throttle plates wide open on a angry twin cam is an adictive sound!! . As we all know You don't get somthing for nothing so I tend to use a little more gas then I did with efi.

I am sure if i drove it like i did when it was efi it would do well.

do you have ant pics of your set up?

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (WickedClown @ Jun 8 2007, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
see thats just it im not convinced yet that you can run bike carbs on a street set up and have reliability and have descent petrol km's ( gas milage lol )
i have never heard of bike carbs on a daily driven car ( regular trips to town ( 50 kms ( miles whatever ) back and forth ) .. and this forum hasnt had alot of feed back on it so im not convinced yet
just my two cents anyway
at least with webers mikunis or delortos they are very tuneable

Dont worry, im working on this for you. Now that I have my truck back together, I can start working to the quad-setup again.
I really dont see why these setups would be an issue (ofcourse ofter proper tuning) on a DD... The bikes they come off of can be daily driven...

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jun 8 2007, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would the MPG go way down if i went to street bike carbs or would it be in the same ranger?

i think it would go down but who knows

WHO cares....who wouldnt want this set-up?? laugh.gif

http://videos.street...865002bf0fe.htm

Edited by ibcnya, 10 June 2007 - 10:41 PM.

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (ibcnya @ Jun 10 2007, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHO cares....who wouldnt want this set-up?? laugh.gif

http://videos.street...865002bf0fe.htm

That makes me all tingly inside tongue.gif
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
^^^^+1

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

RFL85CRXSI

• PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok, now im really starting to get envious... I have YET to get my '98 CBR 600 RR carbs to run right. It starts up and idles fine , but as soon as I even touch the throttle, it sputters and dies. When I first received the carbs, and performed the first test assembly, it ran beautiflly BUT there was a fuel leak due to a dry-rotted O-ring. After I fixed the leak... thats when it started only running at start up and idle.
Sorry to thread jack

Suck my SOHC!

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Have you checked the flots? or the jetting might be off or dirty.

Edited by rollz87civic, 11 June 2007 - 11:57 PM.

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I can't say drive my civic every day to work. I would dive it about two days a week to work about 20km trip each way. On the weekends its taken out now and then. I just last week I got stuck in some big street works and it took about 45min to travel 3km. it was a real test on the driveability of the carbs.

Other than having a worn out leg from operating the clutch a 10,000000 times laugh.gif it ran like a champ .

The main reason I don't drive the car every day is because its just to tempting to drive like an idiot in the thing. Its like there is a little voice coming from the car begging you to give it a hard time. So to save my drivers licance it dosn't see daily use.

The way I see it is when you start doing major performance mods your daily driver isn't the best car to do it on. Why? because you never get a chance to use it legally on the street.

Accelerate at anything faster the 0 - 60 in 12 sec from the lights ........busted for aggressive driving mad.gif

Take a corner without slowing down just enough to lift one rear wheel off the ground ......busted for loss of control of a motor vehicle "even if its still well under control" try telling the cops that 3 wheels is common on this model civic laugh.gif

Now I haven't been in any trouble myself with my civic but I think to have any fun with a modified car you need to take it to the track .

All that said my wife wants the family car tomorrow, so the civic will take me to work and back and do a fine job of chugging along at a safe 60kmh .

So to answer your Question. Yes you can run it on the street and it will run as good if not better than the factory efi "if its nice job of setting it up that is" why you don't see many daily drivers with bike carbs is because you don't need that kind of performance on the street.

As for the pics thats my car in the streetfire video that was about a year ago and I have done about 15,000km on the setup now.

Kurt.

RFL85CRXSI

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, I did crack open the fuel bowls today, and found some type of green gel along the gasket and inside the jets (which I had previously taken out and cleaned when I bought the carbs). Im also going to try stepping down the jets from 40s to a 38s to see if that helps any.

Suck my SOHC!