• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
QUOTE (TexanIdiot25 @ Aug 24 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These plastic fenders amuse me. Took the CRX out onto some nice roads today. In the tight/fast/hard braking areas, you could hear the plastic fenders cracking. Get home, open the hood, and sure enough, along the mounting holes it's splitting again. Structural rigidity FTL.

A strut bar might help lol. maybe add a b-pillar bar too? cool project!

88drivin86

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX HF
I like the looks of your car Texan. Looks clean. I am curious to see how driving the HF will be. In up here in Wisconsin the driving is pretty relaxed.

I am sorry I am such a newb, but what do sway bars do / how do they work. I have read over the wiki's entry on them, but its not exactly a plain description.

From my understanding you bolt this bar to your rear axle & the frame & this helps things on the turns?
If you could explain, I would be interested.
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
I guess I should close the project. I put it on Craigslist for trade. It wasn't powerful enough for the hills in Austin, and I was still fighting the missfire problems (we came down to the carb maybe leaking at the throttle shafts). I wanted to trade for a Miata, but I put a price for 1500 for s-n-g's. Well, someone made that offer, and I sold it. Bought a Miata, and turned it around. Using the profits from the two cars, I'm building an overdrive trans for my '69 chevy.

I miss the car, at times. If/when I go back into small cars, if I don't need the sheer utility of the CRX I'm going back to the Miata. RWD was just so much more fun. The CRX however, is one of the BEST front wheel drive cars I've ever driven. After the sway bar, it was a hoot to drive, way more capable than . The mech. clutch is better than any of the later Civics I've driven, personally. And for a FWD shifter, despite it's long throws, it was a decent little unit. Better than cable shifters. Able to swallow a lot of junk in the trunk, and cruise at 75mph while still returning 36mpg. Top speed, downhill, 93 mph.

It's downfall was the asinine carb and emissions system, something I didn't want to deal with in the future. That, and with it's lack of power it just wasn't cutting it out in Austin.

However, if I can ever find a cheap enough Si, I'd seriously consider it. I loved the little car, and glad it turned out to be a nice looking little matchbox toy.

melmaythekid

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
I gotta question! I know this thread is old but I have to repair my fenders! Were yours the oem plastic ones? Is it cool to use some kind of fiberglass repair kit to reinforce the fenders? I'm very new to this but mine are in need of some TLC. I don't care much about the added weight. Also, what kind of kits would people suggest and could someone send me a link!? Going out to the hardware store today!😀

melmaythekid

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
I gotta question! I know this thread is old but I have to repair my fenders! Were yours the oem plastic ones? Is it cool to use some kind of fiberglass repair kit to reinforce the fenders? I'm very new to this but mine are in need of some TLC. I don't care much about the added weight. Also, what kind of kits would people suggest and could someone send me a link!? Going out to the hardware store today!😀

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

I gotta question! I know this thread is old but I have to repair my fenders! Were yours the oem plastic ones? Is it cool to use some kind of fiberglass repair kit to reinforce the fenders? I'm very new to this but mine are in need of some TLC. I don't care much about the added weight. Also, what kind of kits would people suggest and could someone send me a link!? Going out to the hardware store today!

Sure, you can use fiberglass to reinforce your plastic panels, but if you do, don't just do some of it here and there.  To prevent future cracking, which will happen if you don't do this, but coat the entire back side of your panels with the cloth and resin.  Just be prepared to sand down areas that are too thick, and prevent good fitment.  

Example:

http://www.redpepper...ic=55687&page=5

That's how I did it.  It worked, but since I didn't cover the entire back of the panels, the areas that didn't have fiberglass on it cracked.   Good luck!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."