• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

A huge shout out to RPR member and JCCS veteran Warren aka "GLH988" whose Straman DX passed California's notoriously difficult semi annual smog inspection.

For those of your living out side of California, imagine the 12 labors of Hercules compounded by passing through the Nine Circles of Hell and you can then BEGIN to understand how hard it is to get an old car with a carburetor to pass California's smog inspection. To make matters worse, throw in an insistence that the car pass a visual inspection (all the parts have to look like they came from the factory) and any non-standard parts must have a certificate of compliance from the California Air Resources Board.

Warren worked long and hard to get his car to pass smog, I shutter to think of the time and money spent to get a 27 year old car with no parts support from the manufacturer to pass the test. I know that Warren sweated this project for a very long time, he deserves our admiration and respect for enduring the rigors of old car ownership. And he gets extra special credit for helping to preserve a very nice Straman that has made the trek from San Francisco to Long Beach CA to display at the Japanese Classic Car Show. This shows the devotion of a True Believer.

And yes, all your smug bastards that live in states and countries that do not inspect old cars for smog compliance are indeed lucky... except that you are probably living in places that encourage marrying your cousin and there may not be any laws regarding bestiality in your jurisdiction. And I bet you are still digging your ass out of snow while we are deciding whether to make a margarita from the lemons and limes growing in our backyard or cruising to the beach with the top down.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX Spyder, 1987 Shelby GLHS, 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT

Thanks for the shout out, Scott.  It started with a "simple" blown head gasket 10 minutes after I passed Cali smog 2-1/2 years ago.  It wound up becoming much more than I imagined to get my car running (long enough to get to a smog station):  Head Gasket, machined Cylinder Head, two Thermostats, Fan Switch, Radiator, Carburetor Base Gasket, two sets of Plugs, Wire Set, associated Gaskets along the way to get to the head gasket, and three different carburetors before ultimately having to send the original out for and expensive rebuild (which had to be sent back one time for warranty work).  This along with leaks found in several vacuum lines, troubleshooting for a bad electric choke, and more things done under the hood that I am forgetting.  Finally got the car to run again on Thursday, then sweated out an enhanced "Star" station smog test on Friday. 

I stuck with my original engine because I had replaced the timing belt, hoses, and more within the last 3000 miles + it is possibly the earliest production Straman known.  In hindsight and if I had known that it was going to being this much work, I probably would have gone in a different direction for an engine.  Thanks go out to Scott and Nick (1stGenHybridCR-X) for all their support for the last two and a half years to encourage me to get my car back on the road + the RPR members who became my parts lifeline + to WolfCRX - without that convertible roof he made and installed a few years back, my car would now be a bird bath!  Now I have to get to work on the ravages of the rust that struck my car due to the San Francisco fog and living 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean.  The exterior now needs a lot of attention.

BTW.  My car is already 30+ years old.  Manufactured 11/83.

Warren

A WarrenTee is better than a guarantee. This WarrenTee is for life.

"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes." - Carroll Shelby (January 11, 1923 - May 10, 2012)

http://karakullake.b...eet-photos.html

enduser

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 89 jdm EF9 E55 AMG
Warren, why don't you apply for a historical plate? Cars over 25 years and
of special interest can qualify. I started the paper work for my hatch and am
considering doing my SiR as well. I talked to the DMV and it would be good for
older cars. Reduced registration payments and no smog. The plates have limited/restricted use
but hell who really checks those things.

Project White Devil

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
Congratulations Warren

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip

Never given any thoughts about obtaining Historical Plates.  They sound good from what I have read at the DMV website, but I am not sure I am ready for this step.  After all the pain endured with my car, I want to drive it to get an idea if it is going to hold up.  And with the Parking and Traffic ticket nazis in this city, I don't want to risk crossing their tolerance lines. 

BTW.  In hindsight, I wish that I had taken you up on the engine swap idea.  It would have been a better step towards the longevity of the car.  There just isn't much EW1 parts support out there. 

Warren

Warren, why don't you apply for a historical plate? Cars over 25 years and
of special interest can qualify. I started the paper work for my hatch and am
considering doing my SiR as well. I talked to the DMV and it would be good for
older cars. Reduced registration payments and no smog. The plates have limited/restricted use
but hell who really checks those things.

"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes." - Carroll Shelby (January 11, 1923 - May 10, 2012)

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip

Thanks.  Much appeciated!

Congratulations Warren

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

Congrats man! I live in California as well by Long Beach. I pray to never get the star station smog test... but its eventually going to happen to me ): smog out here is ridiculous

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
I know someone who will pass Star or just smog only with a small fee.. Lol just saying.

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I know someone who will pass Star or just smog only with a small fee.. Lol just saying.

Let me know! If its in orange county or l.a. I'm interested.