• Image Gallery
Well I'm tuned in!

mallardtape

Is that the Tamiya body?

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
sure looks like it!

my HPI cup kit is getting delivered tuesday. finally bought one after over a year of wanting one. have you seen the heel-toe-auto Tamiya build? biggrin.gif

good luck with yours. i'll be picking up the Tamiya body very shortly for mine, but it will be a traditional white. i just can't wait to get the cup chassis. i'm peeved that the 510 isn't available in kit form, so i'll have to buy that body too. but the Z is pimp..

link to heel toe:

http://heeltoeauto.c...-Stuff/IMAG1305

edit:

i don't know if the tamiya wheels are going to fit the Cup car. i haven't figured that one out yet. those are the tamiya wheels, right? or are they the HPI with Tamiya tires? i'd like to run the A032R's on my Cup, but i don't think they are going to fit the cup wheels.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Dec 25 2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure looks like it!

my HPI cup kit is getting delivered tuesday. finally bought one after over a year of wanting one. have you seen the heel-toe-auto Tamiya build? biggrin.gif

good luck with yours. i'll be picking up the Tamiya body very shortly for mine, but it will be a traditional white. i just can't wait to get the cup chassis. i'm peeved that the 510 isn't available in kit form, so i'll have to buy that body too. but the Z is pimp..

link to heel toe:

http://heeltoeauto.c...-Stuff/IMAG1305

edit:

i don't know if the tamiya wheels are going to fit the Cup car. i haven't figured that one out yet. those are the tamiya wheels, right? or are they the HPI with Tamiya tires? i'd like to run the A032R's on my Cup, but i don't think they are going to fit the cup wheels.

Yep it's the Tamiya Body.......I've got 2 of them.....one for spare.

I've seen the Heel and Toe Build.......

Yes Tamiya wheels will fit the Cup Racer.....the difference is, cup racer wheels are larger dia with lower profile tires with an overall smaller dia than the Tamiya ones. But the kit comes with parts that allows it to work with either size wheel and tire package.

Got started on the chassis.....will post pics when I get the time.

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

AndrewSi

• SeeArghh-Ex
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
Awesome! Been waiting to see someone pick up the tamiya crx body and use it on a cup racer. I plan on eventually picking one up for my CR as well. From what I have read, the cup racer in general is discontinued due to poor sales. Probably be a good idea to start stocking up on extra parts, however I could be wrong. Tamiya tires will not mount properly on hpi cup racer rims and vise versa due the design of how the hpi tire and rims are designed. So cup racer rims will only work with cup racer tires, tamiya tire will work with tamiya rims.

If you want to save some time and the headache since you guys are still in the process of building your kits I would recommend purchasing the exotek alloy input cup for the front diff. This part in the kit is plastic and breaks if you are using a high power brushless motor. Also, the lower orange mounts that hold the front and rear A-arms bend like butter if you hit something. Many recommend doubling them up, I haven't done this so I can't say for sure how well it helps.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (AndrewSi @ Dec 26 2011, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to save some time and the headache since you guys are still in the process of building your kits I would recomend purchasing the exotek alloy input cup for the front diff. This part in the kit is plastic and breaks if you are using a high power brushless motor. Also, the lower orange mounts that hold the front and rear A-arms bend like butter if you hit something. Many recomend doubling them up, I haven't done this so I can't say for sure how well it helps.

I've been racing RC for around 20 years.......I don't tend to hit stuff very often.......and considering this car won't be raced with other cars and just driven on the street for a bit of fun, I think I'll be OK.......but thanks for the warning. As for the front diff input cup.....Well, I'm probably only going to run a mild stock motor so I'll be OK.

You're right about the wheels and tires......Tamiya with Tamiya or HPI with HPI but you can't mix. But either type will fit on the car.

More pics to come today......have the front and rear diffs built and installed onto the chassis.

Rob

EDIT....Pics added

Edited by RETROCRX, 26 December 2011 - 07:48 PM.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
looks great Rob! i got mine yesterday and after 4.5 hours of work i'm at your steps now.. biggrin.gif couldn't stop building!!!

i haven't built an RC car for about 6 years and man, my hands suck compared to what they used to.. sad.gif oh well. i find that the drivetrain seems a little tight and so does the "lay down" front shock setup. probably just needs some drive time.

sucks about the poor sales. i know the 510 and Porsche were discontinued. guess i'd better stock up on tires and wheels etc... sad.gif makes me sad. but i'm glad i bought one when i did. the 240z was "low stock" on tower hobbies. it's such a cool platform, i'll be sad to see it go.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thanks Man,

I'm almost all done now......but will be done when I post pics a little later.

You're right the drivetrain is a little tight but I think it'll loosen up. But my laydown shock setup seems free enough.

As for your hands sucking.......wait until you build the shocks, putting those damn tiny "E" clips onto the shafts! I nearly threw them in the bin! FRUSTRATING.

Anyway......I will post up project complete pics later when I get the decals finished and the body trimmed.

Rob

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
All Done!!! Too bad I'm a crappy photographer.....

Enjoy

Rob

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
that was quick!! looks great man!! i love it.

i'm not too worried about the e clips. i'll let you know how it goes. biggrin.gif

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
so.. how come i can't adjust camber in the front? this makes me a sad panda.. sad.gif

shocks weren't too bad.. i used some shock fluid on the shaft to hold them there while i grabbed the pliers. worked ok.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Dec 29 2011, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so.. how come i can't adjust camber in the front? this makes me a sad panda.. sad.gif

shocks weren't too bad.. i used some shock fluid on the shaft to hold them there while i grabbed the pliers. worked ok.

Yeah I was a little annoyed by that too.....but if it's really an issue you can trim the length of the upper ball joint cup to get more negative camber. I'm not going to be racing this thing so adjustability isn't really an issue for me....

As for the shocks.....I was annoyed becasue I couldn't even PICK UP the E clips, let alone install them. But obviously I got it done.......after much profanity.

My biggest thing is that the car is supposed to be 225mm wheelbase and so is the body, yet it looks like the car is about 5mm too long for the body.....it's not awful but I notice it. I think I'm going to trim and shim the rear arms to move the rear wheel forward a few mm to make it fit better......but I'll do that later, I've got paying helmet paintjobs lined up on my bench now....no more time for RC cars!

Rob

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i've noticed that even in long wheelbase config.. peeves me. i can't run the miata body on it because it looks stupid. and that was one of the main reasons i bought the thing!! the Z will suffice...

i wouldn't really mind the camber issue really if they were at least the same! one side is like -1.5 degree, the other is like almost 0.. that's not good.. i'm going to tinker with it tonight. maybe i just screwed up..

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

hpicup7 by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr

hpicup5 by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr

btw, did you get the Z kit? if so, it has JCCS stickers in it!!!

hpicup11 by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr