Speakers Only Works With Parking Lights On

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
I have never touched the speakers and there is an after market head unit. What would cause the speakers to only work when the parking lights are on? If the headlights are on or off it will not work either, only when the parking lights are on. When i am driving, If i turn the parking lights on the speakers will work, but if i hit a bump they will stop working, then i have to turn the parking lights off then on again until i hit another bump. Any ideas on what or where my problems are.
1987 Honda CRX DX

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
does the radio/stereo itself work normal and just the speakers are screwed up?

if your radio doesnt work then it sounds like a short/shunt with the "hot" wire coming from the fuse box area. or whoever put in the stereo tried to power it from a spot in the fuse box and used the wrong one.

as for shutting off when you hit a bump, check for a loose ground wire.

overall, i would check all the wiring for power, ground and your "memory" line that stays hot all the time.
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
QUOTE (duner @ May 3 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does the radio/stereo itself work normal and just the speakers are screwed up?

if your radio doesnt work then it sounds like a short/shunt with the "hot" wire coming from the fuse box area. or whoever put in the stereo tried to power it from a spot in the fuse box and used the wrong one.

as for shutting off when you hit a bump, check for a loose ground wire.

overall, i would check all the wiring for power, ground and your "memory" line that stays hot all the time.

the radio works fine(i think). when you turn the car on it say "hello" and when you turn the car off it say "good by" . So i believe the radio is working fine. I think it is only the speakers. I will have to check the ground, power, and memory wire an get back to you.
1987 Honda CRX DX

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
86-87 civic/crx stereo wiring

where it goes/what it is........civic/crx wiring harness..........new radio harness

12 volt battery power..........white with yellow or blue stripe....yellow
12 volt ignition power..........yellow with red stripe..................red
ground...........................................black.....................black
power antenna....................brown with white stripe...............blue or blue with white stripe
dimmer..............................XXXXXXXXXX...........................orange
right front +.......................red with green stripe..................gray
right front -........................brown with black stripe...............gray with black stripe
left front +.........................blue with green stripe.................white
left front -..........................gray with black stripe.................white with black stripe
right rear +........................red with yellow stripe.................purple
right rear -.........................brown with white stripe..............purple with black stripe
left rear +..........................blue with yellow stripe................green
left rear -...........................gray with white stripe.................green with black stripe

if the stereo is on at all times but you are only hearing sound when parking lights are on i would assume that there's an amplifier somewhere in the car to power the speakers and it's remote or power wire is hooked to the parking lights switch. check under the seats, behind the seats, in the rear storage compartment and spare tire well for an amplifier. sounds to me like you have perfectly fine equipment, just improper hookup/installation
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member