Passing Emissions. Check This Out.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

PoSCiViC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch SI
I took my civic to get emissions done yesterday and it failed pretty bad. It runs great though no problems at all maybe alittle rich... im guessing but gets good gas and everything. SO what could i do to help lower the Co2? Heres a scan of my results let me know any tricks you know that could help me out!

Bob

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (PoSCiViC @ Oct 2 2007, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took my civic to get emissions done yesterday and it failed pretty bad. It runs great though no problems at all maybe alittle rich... im guessing but gets good gas and everything. SO what could i do to help lower the Co2? Heres a scan of my results let me know any tricks you know that could help me out!

Bob

lean it out, and get hotter plugs and new wires.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
They have an add on liquid for the fuel to lower emissions. Also retard your timing by a couple degress and lean out the mixture. Check your cat. I usually have a brand new one just for emissions... after emissions I remove it and save it for the next car.

Motor City Hamilton

• The Green Snowplow
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 ITC Civic
I used the emmissions beater stuff every year when I lived in St. Louis, MO. Would take my car in for the test, let it fail, go buy the $8 bottle of emmissions beater, drive around for a week, then go back for my free retest. Passed everytime.
My driving skills fall somewhere between The Stig and Sammy Hawkins!

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Change the cat? That part where it says "Catalytic Converter: PASS" is just saying that it's physically present, not that it's actually functional.

If you can get the cat off you can look inside, if you can't see through it, it should still be OK.

Another thing to do is to take it to have the carb tuned/cleaned.

I'd say either you are running way rich (should hurt your gas mileage) or your cat's toast.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
You are running rich, so leaning out the mix will help. Going lean raises tempatures which raises Nox so use the highest octane fuel you can find. Those cans of "Gauranteed to Pass" are just octane boosters.

If you have been running rich, your catalytic converter is Fuggered, replace it. If your car is FI, replace your O2 sensor also because a rich mix kills it too.

Make sure your cam and ignition timing are at factory spec.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

PoSCiViC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 3 2007, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are running rich, so leaning out the mix will help. Going lean raises tempatures which raises Nox so use the highest octane fuel you can find. Those cans of "Gauranteed to Pass" are just octane boosters.

If you have been running rich, your catalytic converter is Fuggered, replace it. If your car is FI, replace your O2 sensor also because a rich mix kills it too.

Make sure your cam and ignition timing are at factory spec.

Scott

i used emissions stuff today and filled up with 92 octane. Where is the A/F Mix Screw to lean out? You screw in to lean and out to rich right?

PoSCiViC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Oct 2 2007, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Change the cat? That part where it says "Catalytic Converter: PASS" is just saying that it's physically present, not that it's actually functional.

If you can get the cat off you can look inside, if you can't see through it, it should still be OK.

Another thing to do is to take it to have the carb tuned/cleaned.

I'd say either you are running way rich (should hurt your gas mileage) or your cat's toast.

I Have an SI so i cant tune or clean the carb to help

benjy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
A fellow Utahn! I'm licensed in Heber as to avoid emissions (live in Provo, in-laws live in Heber)

PoSCiViC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (benjy @ Oct 3 2007, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A fellow Utahn! I'm licensed in Heber as to avoid emissions (live in Provo, in-laws live in Heber)

That doesnt help me here!! lol im in West Haven out north past Layton by ogden

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (PoSCiViC @ Oct 3 2007, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Have an SI so i cant tune or clean the carb to help

No, but you can make an adjustment to the fuel pressure (more pressure=rich, less presssure=lean) with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The tricky part is that most emission testers will fail you for an obvisous adjustable FPR. Try to disguise it to look as stock as possible.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

PoSCiViC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Oct 3 2007, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but you can make an adjustment to the fuel pressure (more pressure=rich, less presssure=lean) with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The tricky part is that most emission testers will fail you for an obvisous adjustable FPR. Try to disguise it to look as stock as possible.

Scott

isnt there an adjustable screw or somthing i can just turn. My RX7 (Fuel Injected) Had a setup where there were arrows that show L<----->R and u turn accordingly lol cant it be that easy?

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
Honestly, if you are fuel injected and do all the basic tune up items such as cap/rotor/plugs/O2 sensor and cat, you should have no reason not to pass. set your timing 1-2 degrees retarded at most and don't run premium fuel. That is just not true. Yes Nox are higher due to hotter combustion. The hotter combustion is from the guaranteed to pass crap that people put in there tank. Methyl Hydrate does the same thing. You shouldn't need it or use it.

Stick to the basics and get your cat HOT before doing the test. That means drive it at higher rpm's (not necessarily speeding).
Use the minimum octane rating your car needs. If you have a basic Si engine, just use regular 87 octane. The higher octane fuel just has a slower burn and could possibly raise HC which is basically unburnt fuel.

Run that emissions helper through before going to the smog check. It burns too hot.

Good luck and post the results.
twitter: @lylehatton

paisatuner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
hey man I just pay 200 to pass my

beechstreet

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04 Civic Si, 86 CRX HF
QUOTE (paisatuner @ Oct 3 2007, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey man I just pay 200 to pass my

a bit off topic, but i was born in watsonville!
-2004 Civic Si - Supercharged
-1987 Civic Hatch DX - Sold :(
-1986 Honda CRX HF - Parting Out then Junking It