Got The Car Today...

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

CARLiTO_

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 CRX HF
I got my car today and had to drive from mississauga, all the way to niagra falls to get it. When we reached mississauga, it overheated and fuid started leaking(green). Anyways, i am wondering if there is anyway to add power steering into my 87crx dx.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
You can add power steering by swapping the entire front subframe from a 1st Gen Integra.... but why? The steering is pretty light as it is.

Also, you have bigger fish to fry with your overheating problem. It could be anything from a bad thermostat to a blown head gasket.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

nivek2002

Or find a civic with PS, my 1987 Civic Sedan has it, i think it was an option though.

CARLiTO_

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i don;t think it's a bad thermostart since there was smoke coming too. How would it be the head gasket if coolant was leaking?

doesn't the head gasket leak engine oil?

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
What color was the smoke, white or blue/black? If white then it's a head gasket problem and you're burning coolant. If blue/black then you're burning oil. A bad head gasket will cause coolant to leak into the engine from the chambers it normally flows through.

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

87Hybrid

• Too Many Projects Too Little Time
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 1987 Civic hatch, 85 Civic Sedan, 76 Blazer,2000 Jetta
    • Image Gallery
power steering only came on the Sedan with the automatic. The sub frame is different where the rack bolts in. You can put a manual rack in a power rack car but the power rack will not fit in the manual steering car.

After I lost my waterpump my civic would start to overheat with in 25 miles of where I started, The diagnosis was a cracked head.
"AAAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster."  Homer Simpson

87 Hybrid hatchback and 85 sedan.
user posted image
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

87crxdx

ya check for wet exhast also

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
you just bought the car and it already blew the head gasket. sounds like a warped head...and that sux.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

EyelessCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
Yeah when I first got my 87 HF it was leaking fluid. Green just like yours lol. My problem was simple though. Well I guess not simple but not a blown gasket. The filler neck on my radiator was completely knocked off. I know it sounds funny but check every connection to the radiator. Just cross your fingers and hope that the radiator is your problem and not head gasket. The radiator was simple to replace. My leak was the hose going from the coolant resivor to the filler neck. Anyways good luck with the car. smile.gif

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
a head gasket isnt all that hard to replace either and should only take a day if you have some mechanical skills.
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

CARLiTO_

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i dun really care much for the engine since i am gonna do a swap soon. I juss wanna drive it for the time being (3-4 weeks)

CARLiTO_

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok..forget about power steering. Even tho i call mah car a rust box, i am really falling in love with it. After then eng swap and fixing the paint and rust, then it's gonna be true love....heh.

CRX for life! biggrin.gif

LudeBehavior

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 AWD 2.4 62-1 hybrid turbo talon, gsxr carbed 87 CrxSi,87 SupraT
Overheating is due to the radiator... and the leaking could be the seal on the waterpump or the watermain on the back of the block below the intake manifold.
If it was your headgasket It would be blowing smoke the whole time not just when it gets hot....watch your temp gauge. If your upperradiator hose has hard pressure it's not the thermostat, that would mean it's opening fine or stuck open.