87 Crx Is Head Gasket?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

Cracker

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si
hey all my friend has a 87 crz si. it blow a head gasket, we relaces it after driving it to my house about 40 miles. blow a flame while going down the freeway. it turms over and thats it. it get spark and fuel. it just wont fire please help it sounds like a drill when it turns over and it seams like there id no compress when i put my finger up to the blog holeThanks Tim

Edited by Cracker, 04 June 2007 - 06:19 PM.

yds3

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Broke/slipped belt, Bent valves,Blown head gasket happy.gif

Cracker

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (yds3 @ Jun 4 2007, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Broke/slipped belt, Bent valves,Blown head gasket happy.gif

Sorry for the confusing post. My buddy wrote it. I had replaced the head gasket so it isnt that. It sounds like a drill and it sounds like it doesnt have any compression. I took the plugs out and we both agree that there is no fuel smell on the plugs. The fuel pump is working. The car was running previoulsy to having the head gasket replaced yesterday. The head gasket was going for a while and I guess I finished it off by going 125mph down the freeway racing a 94 VTEC Prelude.(And Dont ask cause yes, I did smoke him!) THE HEAD IS NOT WARPED!!! I had that checked. I have two opitions:

1.) Keep the stock D15A3 engine in and figure out what is making it not start or....

2.) Put in the spare engine that I have which is a D15B2 and start from scratch again on supping up my rex. If I do option #2, Could I use my same ECU and Engine Harness or do I have to get a different one? And If so what ECU and engine Harness do I need?

Someone please help me!!!! I have to get her up and running. It means a lot to me. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Put the car in gear and push it an inch or two, then see if it cranks... maybe you just have some busted teeth on the flywheel...

Unless you had damn near 0 compression on all 4 cylinders, it wouldn't sound like a drill. I really think you should start by making sure the starter is engaging properly. Putting the car in gear and crank, see if the car lurches forward... if it does, your starter is engaging fine.

Edited by EuphoricBlue, 04 June 2007 - 07:48 PM.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Cracker @ Jun 4 2007, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for the confusing post. My buddy wrote it. I had replaced the head gasket so it isnt that. It sounds like a drill and it sounds like it doesnt have any compression. I took the plugs out and we both agree that there is no fuel smell on the plugs. The fuel pump is working. The car was running previoulsy to having the head gasket replaced yesterday. The head gasket was going for a while and I guess I finished it off by going 125mph down the freeway racing a 94 VTEC Prelude.(And Dont ask cause yes, I did smoke him!) THE HEAD IS NOT WARPED!!! I had that checked. I have two opitions:

1.) Keep the stock D15A3 engine in and figure out what is making it not start or....

2.) Put in the spare engine that I have which is a D15B2 and start from scratch again on supping up my rex. If I do option #2, Could I use my same ECU and Engine Harness or do I have to get a different one? And If so what ECU and engine Harness do I need?

Someone please help me!!!! I have to get her up and running. It means a lot to me. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip

^^^^

Thats your problem.Check the welds on your intake, and adjust the NOS timer another millisecond so you can run 9's..... enough said..

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
100 bucks says you have no timming belt left.............. laugh.gif laugh.gif ohmy.gif
05192012083.jpg

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Jun 4 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
100 bucks says you have no timming belt left.............. laugh.gif laugh.gif ohmy.gif

I'd bet that also
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

Cracker

• Granny
  • Pip
well not to sound like an ass, but you both owe me 100 bucks.....That can be paid in parts or cash....=) anywho. the timing belt is still there and intact. I do know that I threw a couple of wrenches at the car cause i got pissed at it. but who knows. I was thinking that maybe the fuel cutoff switch is not letting fuel to the injectors???

Philip

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just do a compression check... easy... and it will tell you or not if you have a leak.. Then check to see If the starter is engaging on the flywheel. Also could be human error on putting the headgasket IE ( torque to right specs? torque in sequence? did you REUSE the old headbolts? crappy job cleaning old material off, NICKS On head surface? etc...)

You sound competent in mechanical abilities , so let us know

BTW::: STREET RACING IS FROWNED UPON ON THIS SITE.

ef91

• 87 stock box
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 black hatch si, 91 red hatch si
    • Image Gallery
you might need new bearings... my friends type r motor had spun a bearing and when it ran it sounded like a spray can shaking up...

Edited by ef91, 05 June 2007 - 07:27 AM.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
So you still have the belt on there, does it still have the correct tension on it? Did you check the timing of it since this happened?

If the motor is rotating while you're cranking it and it sounds like a drill, as you say, then you have NO compression. I'd guess it's one of three things:
1. A BUNCH of bent valves. (hence, no compression)
2. All four pistons are holed. (Highly unlikely)
3. Your cam belt has jumped time a significant amount.

I'd go with a combination of 1 & 2 in your case.

And to re-iterate what RARECRX said:

BTW::: STREET RACING IS FROWNED UPON ON THIS SITE.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Cracker

• Granny
  • Pip
OK!!! I get the point on the street racing. It isnt the valves, the timing is dead on. just got a compresssion tester. will post in a few with results.

Philip

Cracker

• Granny
  • Pip
There is no compression and I am frusterated. I am about to sell the car.

a3h87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: i'm gonna need these keys to 87 honda
you need to rebuild or get a new motor.