D16a1 Timing

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

AIC4ME

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 honda crx
Ok so I got my new d16a1 and it is sitting on the ground. I opend up the timing cover area and removed the crank pully. I slid the belt off and the two cam geers and the crank pully didn't move. Is this ok? I have done some reading and it sounds like everyone hates doing the dual cam motor cuz the pullys move. Mine didn't budge, I tried to move them with my hand a little to make sure.

AIC4ME

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok so I noticed that the cams are not tdc anymore. They must have moved when I used the breaker bar to remove the crank pully. The belt was still on when they moved so am I ok? Maybe I should just do the timing from scratch any ideas? So imagine that you have two cam gears and no crank pully on or any marks on the pully (I got excited and forgot to draw lines from the crank pully to the block so I could line it up the same.) How do I put the pully back on so that when I use a timing lite it will all work out? Sorry, but timing is not my thing and I am afraid I might have messed it up.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The crank and the cams have "keys." At TDC they should all be at "12 O'clock."

Replace the water pump while you are in there.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

AIC4ME

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yeah i noticed that the crank pully had a key last night, Put that on right but now my cams don't line up and it isn't tdc anymore. I am gonna take it to a shop and let em finish it since the motor is out of the car and it is all exposed, should only be about 40 bucks or so, then I can put the motor in the car. Pics coming.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
I just got done doing this, have a friend hold the cams with some wrenches and just slip the timing belt on. Using the dowel holes is a waste of time unless you have the specific tool from honduh.

Make sure you use the two marks and not the three that are ahead of it on the crank pulley. It wont work otherwise...

86 crx

AIC4ME

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Computer @ Aug 4 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make sure you use the two marks and not the three that are ahead of it on the crank pulley. It wont work otherwise...

Not sure what you mean by this. Like I said, I can do allmost anything with a motor but timing heheh, for some reason I just havn't got my head around it yet, and most people talk about it like it's easy hahaha, god I suck.

kablammyman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Integra
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Computer @ Aug 4 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just got done doing this, have a friend hold the cams with some wrenches and just slip the timing belt on. Using the dowel holes is a waste of time unless you have the specific tool from honduh.

no, the dowel holes are the best way to ensure tdc for the cams. You dont need the specific tool, just use a drill bit or a 3/16(?) punch.( i cant remember the exact size off the top of my head)

Edited by kablammyman, 05 August 2008 - 07:53 PM.

87 turbo integra, self tuned on TE

Xspenzo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Acura CRX LSSi, 2000 Chevy Silverado LS
QUOTE (kablammyman @ Aug 5 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no, the dowel holes are the best way to ensure tdc for the cams. You dont need the specific tool, just use a drill bit or a 3/16(?) punch.( i cant remember the exact size off the top of my head)

5.5mm allen wrenches work perfect, also the timing marks arent right on a zc so the only way to get tdc is to use the dowel holes.

Edited by Xspenzo, 05 August 2008 - 10:26 PM.

AIC4ME

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks for your help everyone, I got the timing squared away and now the motor is in the crx, just gotta plug it all in. I will make a new forum soon with pics