Will 2000 Civic Si Seats Work In An 87 Crx Dx

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

mycotopian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
I found a pair of 2000 Civic SI seats locally and would like to know if they are good candidates to swap into my 87 CRX DX. Does anybody have experience swapping these seats in? Is it even possible without tons of fabrication?

Sgt. Pepper

Just about any seat will fit with a little fabrication. I have Del Sol seats in my 1G as does crxls. I know someone on here has prelude seats in theirs. I heard someone swap in S2000 seats too. JeepGirl has Donali seats in her 3g. I doubt it's as easy as just swapping the seat pans, but I would start by checking that out first. Nothing, but 88 CRX seats, will directly bolt in IIRC. I would count on at least a little fab work, but it's not that hard to do.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Indeed, anything will work with a little creativity. I had Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra seats in my old 1G.

Just stay away from those seats with built in airbags, or at least remove them... carefully... and then detonate them with 10+ft of wire and a 9v battery before disposing.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
99-00 Si seats are very very tall, a friend of mine tried to fit them in a 88 CRX Si, and they had to be leaned back to clear the headliner.
Posted Image

mycotopian

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF
Thanks for the input guys. Do you think it would be productive to create a "Seat Swap Thread" Where people can list seats they have and amount of work involved? Maybe a format like

Chassis: 1987 CRX DX

Seat: 2000 Civic SI

Work Involved: .....choices could be............Bolt In, Rail Swap, Pan Swap, Light Fabrication, Heavy Fabrication etc.

Finished product:......choices could be..........stock height, sits low, sits high etc.

Edited by mycotopian, 30 September 2008 - 08:08 PM.

Buzzstrike

• Hurt and wounded....
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Civic S(wrecked), 2003 Pilot.
Seat swap=a major headache.

I'm trying to put in a set of Prelude seats into my 85 S.

Seat rails are not even close.

Tried the one thread on swaping out the seat pans.

Only that the CRx seat tracks are about four inches narrower than my Civics.

I found this out AFTER I swapped out the Prelude seat pan for the CRx one

What a pain in the ass.

She may not look like much. But she does have a special place in my heart, and wallet.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
You are going about it the hard way, in my opinion. If you want to have a completely bolt-in seat for some specific reason, yeah... you'd need to figure out what would work with your 3g pan, or something like that...

But if you don't mind spending about an hour... you could just drill a couple holes in the bottom of the pan of the new seat, insert load spreaders on the inside of the pan (2x2" metal squares with holes in the center) Then just bolt the 3g rails to to the pan using grade 8 bolts and appropriate spacers... done...

That's what I did to fit those olds seats into my 1G...

I miss those seats... they were comfy...

windraver

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: '86 CRX si
hes right, if you just drill and bolt then its ez.

the eziest way to do any of this is to have an original seat that fits in your car... since yours is a 87 crx, you'll be going thru the same things i did. (check prelude seat swap)

good luck

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (Buzzstrike @ Sep 30 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seat swap=a major headache.

I'm trying to put in a set of Prelude seats into my 85 S.

Seat rails are not even close.

Tried the one thread on swaping out the seat pans.

Only that the CRx seat tracks are about four inches narrower than my Civics.

I found this out AFTER I swapped out the Prelude seat pan for the CRx one

What a pain in the ass.

My Del Sol seat rails were wider than the rex. I fabricated brackets to compensate. Easy, easy fix.

http://www.redpepper...e...6729&st=240
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
There are many different ways to replace your oem seats. You can use the oem rails and adapt the new seat. Use part of the new seat and adapt the CRX. Mix and match. The light blue seats in the thread below were moved from my CRX to a newer model Civic and the bolt locations were completely different and we managed to make them work very well. Some seats have rails that are higher on one side than the other which complicates things. With my Ceica seats I had to use the Celica rails as they were integral to the seat. I had to remove some stuff and adapt things to make them work.

The idea is to center the new seat in the final position and then modify the rails or whatever needs to be done. They have to clear the armrest and leave enough room to use the hand brake. If the seats are too tall as the CRX seats are very low you will touch the roof with you new haircut.

This is the tread with a few examples and explanation. JS

Seat Replacement options

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
As mentioned, there are several different ways to make other sits fit.

I installed S2000 seatinto my car using the pan swap method.

Here is a detailed thread here on RPR about pan swapping.
Pan swapping prelude seats

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Seats look pretty slick. I just noticed the speedometer lying in the footwell. Are you swapping out speedos as well? I am always interested in speedo swaps. And the arm rest. Is that from the S2000 or something else? Looks like the leather matches. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.