84 Crx Carb Adjustment No Start

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

waynetx383

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 CRX
A little quick background. Brother overheated the car and blew the headgasket and fried the rings. The rings have been replaced along with the gasket. Compression checks out within spec now on all cylinders. Timing is set per factory marks and all line up. We are getting plenty of spark from the car. Just rebuilt the carb, but since some of the diaphragms were not included in the kit and farily impossible to find at a reasonable price he chose to try a devac. The car was starting but would not stay running longer than a second or two, so a good friend started playing with the carb adjustment screws (idle, mixture, bowl level, and so forth). I'm trying to get it adjust back to a starting point so it can be fine tuned from there, but every bit of information I've found on adjusting the carb says it needs to be running and to have an enrichment kit for the mixture setting. Are there factory settings I can start from such as "screw all the way in and back out 3 turn"? If anyone else has any suggestions I'm more than open to them. I've checked and verified that the devac is setup like other members have done in the past.

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
You can set the float level with the sight glass on the driver's side of the carb.

Yeah- 2-3 turns on the idle screw mix would be a good place to start.

Is the fuel cut off solenoid on the back of the carb getting 12 volts when the ignition is on? (it is the 2 wire connector).

The rich mix barrel (tiny carb barrel) linkage adjustment (the screw facing the radiator down low on the driver's side of the carb) is pretty forgiving in my experience.