Converting My 85 3g To Fi

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
i spent a few hours this weekend detailing and preping some parts for the head swap.the head is off an 85 crx si.got it from mn85crx.a great seller btw.so i'm pretty anal about how things look,the v/c needed to be stripped and refinish.

you guys should like this one. i used eastwoods wrinkle finish paint.this stuff works well but you need to use heat for the wrinkle to be nice and even.so i got to thinking how i could heat the cover ph34r.gif bingo,i went to my wood stove and got a bucket of hot coals.i'm into BBQ and smoking meats so i dump the coals in my smoker and smoked the v/cfor 15 min @ 200 degrees lol.it came out awesome,best one i've done yet.

so thurs i plan to rip the motor out.i have to be done in one week to go back to work.this is my only car....ok i have two other 3Gs but they dont run tongue.gif

Mark L

QUOTE (lil buddy @ Dec 30 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so thurs i plan to rip the motor out.i have to be done in one week to go back to work.this is my only car....ok i have two other 3Gs but they dont run tongue.gif

Looks Good!

Do you still need that Hood? I forgot all about it. I could drop it off Thursday.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

lil buddy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (Mark L @ Dec 30 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks Good!

Do you still need that Hood? I forgot all about it. I could drop it off Thursday.

that would be cool mark.hey call me when you get a sec,i have a couple ques for ya.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
that valve cover looks great!

i will be watching this thread very closely since this was supposed to be MY car tongue.gif and i planned to do exactly the same thing to it. only difference is that i planned to do a 5 speed conversion also. do you also plan to go 5 speed? if not, i think you will be the only fuel injected auto that i know of.

i know you wont let us down, im confident that it will look better than it did the day it rolled off the assembly line.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

lil buddy

• PipPipPipPipPip
man its been a long 4 days but its 95% done.

heres how it started.

carb was acting up in the cold temps and i pretty much know nothing about them,so it was time to convert to PGM FI.
so long carby

the block and trans was covered in oil and grease.

about an hour of scrubing with simple green and she cleaned up quite nice.

i installed all new seals and gaskets including valve seals

motor assembled and ready for installation.

now it was on to the interior where the dash need to be removed to install the Si harness. this was very long and painful.my hands are still hurting.

floors are super clean for a NE car. i need to patch the L/F.

comparing the Si harness to the carb harness.more diff than i thought between 85-86.

lil buddy

• PipPipPipPipPip
insalling the Si dash harness and cluster

yes thats the kitchen table...lol.

and in with the new PGM FI powered EW

i got it running tonight.it started instantly without any hesitation at all. it has a fast idle issue and a few small odds and ends to button up. i should be driving it tomorrow.

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
flippin sweet
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Si Auto huh.gif Looks good. One question, how are you going to manage the idle with the extra load when put into gear or sitting at a stop light?

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

lil buddy

• PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Screech @ Jan 5 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Si Auto huh.gif Looks good. One question, how are you going to manage the idle with the extra load when put into gear or sitting at a stop light?

honestly i never thought of it. i could just bump up the base idle to compensate

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It may not be a problem with our cars, I'm not sure. I know that when I was working with the CR-V the computer would bump the idle up when putting the tranny into gear. I would first see if it is a problem. If so then review the idle controls on an 86-87 auto Integra and see if something similar can be done with your tranny engine combo. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the ports on the back of the TB or intake for the AC idle up thing would be ideal.

Well, I just looked at the 87 Integra idle control and it is done with the computer, gets a signal from the tranny or shifter when in P or N, so without that signal it assumes in gear and ups the idle. And of course the Integra has the more advanced idle control valve unit.

Edited by Screech, 05 January 2009 - 10:44 PM.

mn85crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Civic Si, 85 CRX Si, 79 Civic CVCC Wagon
    • Image Gallery
Lookin' good lil buddy. Damn, you got a lot done in about a week. My swap (Blacktop) took me a couple months, but you might be more "motivated" with it being your DD. I really like the way that valve cover turned out.

Scott

ChrisF-dude