Rear Hubs And Bearings

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

I Like Dry Toast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX

I'm using my CRX as an endurance racer and I'm having some trouble with the bearing life of the rear hubs.

After not even a full race the hubs loosen noticably. I install them with 134lbs of torque as per the manual, and they turn smoothly without being able to make the wheel wobble them by hand, but after 130 laps they loosen to the point I can wobble them when they are jacked off the ground.

Is there any other Honda hub with bigger bearings that will fit these spindles?

Thanks,

Tom

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I was told the Timken  rear Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly was what to use and to replace the grease. Skip (Buford)

Jeff

I Like Dry Toast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you. Sounds good.  Is there any particular grease that needs to be used or is it just don't use the grease it came with?

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I do not remember the special grease that is why I referred to (Buford).

Jeff

djsteviec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87' CR-X Si

I have tried Timken, Moog and others. The best results I have had is actually the Driveworks assembly from Advance Auto. I do endurance racing at 7-12hrs per race day.

If you have not already realized, if you start to have an off- do not try to pull it back! If you put a rear wheel off track, take the car through the grass and come on smoothly. That is, if you don't want to replace the bearing as soon as the day is over.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I keep 2 spare with me at all times.

Edited by djsteviec, 13 June 2017 - 08:47 PM.

I Like Dry Toast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you djstevic!  That was helpful advice.  Mine's a LeMons car, so our race sessions are of similar length.

After poring through a bunch of parts books it appears the 1984 Civic rear spindles are about .140" smaller in diameter than the 1987 Civics.  This may mean the bearing has a larger O.D. too.  I won't be able to tell unless I get one, because the parts books don't say.

djsteviec are you using a 1984 or are you using the 1985 CRX in your sig as the basis for your race car?  What is the I.D. of the bearings you are using?

And in case anybody knows, does the larger bearing last longer than the smaller one?

Anybody using a later model spindle/bearing in longer races with grippy tires?  How do they last?

We are getting enough grip that the upper track bar mount ripped up the unibody and the car makes peeing-dog poses.  It chews up wheel bearings too.

This is with junkyard and OEM replacement  shocks and springs made for various vehicle manufacture's products:

https://drive.google...SWF1SG5tR3JrNkE

Whole rear suspension cost less than $100.

Thanks again, djsteviec!

Tom

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Torque the nuts first time with the wheels off the ground, use a long pry bar in the rotor to keep it from turning (make it contact the caliper or the ground so the rotor can't turn).  Drive a short session and then come back in and re-torque them, you will get more turn on the nut as the surfaces of the bearings begin to seat.  Repeat this after every session (just like you will be checking your lug nuts) - it will tell you how much wear you are getting on the bearing and when to replace them.

I know a lot of racers that have replaced the grease with Krytox before first installation as well.

I Like Dry Toast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you for the information.  The Krytox seems like it's a very high temp grease, which I think would help as my grease smells really burned in the bad hubs.  Once it's burned I suspect it's no longer lubricating the bearings and accelerated wear begins.  I have drums which likely retain a lot of heat near the hub.

Do you think changing to discs would help shed heat around the bearings?

It looks like the manufacturer has lots of different varieties.  I suppose I'll need to call DuPont for a recommendation.

Thanks again,

Tom

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

I would change to rear disc just for the ease of maintenance, consistent brakes (rears only adjust driving backwards so your pedal will get longer over the race) and then run a hose towards the center of the hub to blow are across the bearing.

djsteviec

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87' CR-X Si

Thank you djstevic!  That was helpful advice.  Mine's a LeMons car, so our race sessions are of similar length.

After poring through a bunch of parts books it appears the 1984 Civic rear spindles are about .140" smaller in diameter than the 1987 Civics.  This may mean the bearing has a larger O.D. too.  I won't be able to tell unless I get one, because the parts books don't say.

djsteviec are you using a 1984 or are you using the 1985 CRX in your sig as the basis for your race car?  What is the I.D. of the bearings you are using?

And in case anybody knows, does the larger bearing last longer than the smaller one?

Anybody using a later model spindle/bearing in longer races with grippy tires?  How do they last?

We are getting enough grip that the upper track bar mount ripped up the unibody and the car makes peeing-dog poses.  It chews up wheel bearings too.

This is with junkyard and OEM replacement  shocks and springs made for various vehicle manufacture's products:

https://drive.google...SWF1SG5tR3JrNkE

Whole rear suspension cost less than $100.

Thanks again, djsteviec!

Tom

Hey Tom, 

No problem. I don't have a working caliper right now to measure the ID. I have an '87 Is, and those are the bearings I am using.