12 replies to this topic

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
As you all know my 87 CRX is my DD....

Anyway... just had my trans replaced...

Started it up this morning... drove to work in philly... had to move my car... wouldn't start..

No Click, No Clunk, Nothing... All I hear is my Main relay clicking in my dash...

Had a friend try and crank it, put my hand on the starter, and the solenoid (the solenoid is right next to it right?)

It doesn't vibrate, clunk, click, NOTHING...

If we Clutch Drop it from a roll, it fires up and I can take off...

Checked the fuses, but I may have over looked one...

I have replaced the main relay with a brand new one... its not bad either... the fuel pump primes like it should... etc etc.

PENDING THE FUSES ARE BAD, what else could it be?

I know the ground cable on my trans is infact attached and good. Both contacts on the starter are good, solid, clean as they should be (rubber covers are on)

Where do I go from here? I need this car to be up and running NOW... this is my only source of transportation.. it has to be something within the ignition area... HELP ME GUYS!!!

Edited by Gabe87CRX, 28 June 2010 - 10:47 PM.

87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

oldskl87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87crxsi,89civicsi
i'd tap on the starter solenoid while having someone hold the key in the crank position and see if it cranks. also check to see if the main power wire on the starter has atleast 12v and also check for 12v on the solenoid wire/bolt while the key is in crank position. if not, there may be a wiring or fuse/relay issue. or maybe even ignition switch. you need a starter if everything is connected correctly and you tap on the it, and it cranks. (dead give away)

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
I'd also see if you could smack the solenoid and see if maybe it's just stuck. I assume you checked the 3 fuses under the hood, right?
Build Thread- Here

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (oldskl87 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd tap on the starter solenoid while having someone hold the key in the crank position and see if it cranks. also check to see if the main power wire on the starter has atleast 12v and also check for 12v on the solenoid wire/bolt while the key is in crank position. if not, there may be a wiring or fuse/relay issue. or maybe even ignition switch. you need a starter if everything is connected correctly and you tap on the it, and it cranks. (dead give away)

Ok.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ Jun 29 2010, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd also see if you could smack the solenoid and see if maybe it's just stuck. I assume you checked the 3 fuses under the hood, right?

Bar Fuses are good, 99% sure on that, I will double check though. I don't have a cover for them.. so there is a chance some moisture got there, and it was REALLLY humid here too and right before I was having an issue starting it, I had just come off the freeway, I was doing about 100 the whole time...

Edited by Gabe87CRX, 29 June 2010 - 12:26 AM.

87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Park on a hill...

Keith, with many years of British car ownership...

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ Jun 29 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right before I was having an issue starting it,

Possibly the ignition switch. Common problem. Started having problems sounds like the way the contacts start and continue to go bad.
I bought a CRX that would not crank and after much testing, found out that if I turned the key extra hard it would crank. Easy to replace you do not have to replace the lock and key, just remove the switch from the back side of the lock.
Jeff

Jimmler

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
Ditto on the ignition switch. I just went thru the exact same thing. You can verify it's the switch by running a decent sized wire from the battery "+" terminal to the solenoid terminal on the starter. You'll have to unplug the existing wire. Then make sure the key is on and the car is in neutral, e-brake on. It should crank and fire right off.
-Jim

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
QUOTE (kedwards @ Jun 29 2010, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Park on a hill...

Keith, with many years of British car ownership...

I'll second that, with many years of RX-7 ownership! Additionally, learn how to jump start your car in reverse. A first gen is light enough that you ought to be able to push start it on a flat by yourself.

On a more serious note, I would take out the screws for all of the fusible links and check them, I had one that blew and I could not see it until I took the screw out.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I know its not the ignition switch, because when I hold the key to start, I can hear the pump sending fuel...

Got a new starter, putting in today...
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ Jun 29 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know its not the ignition switch, because when I hold the key to start, I can hear the pump sending fuel...

Are you sure?

The contacts in the switch that crank the engine over are separate from the contacts that run the relay for the fuel pump.

Jeff

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ Jun 29 2010, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a different set of contacts inside the ignition switch that makes the connection to the starter, the switch could still be bad.

Before you swap in the other starter - set the parking break and put the transmission in nuetral. Get a short piece of 12 gauge wire, unplug the small lead wire that goes to the starter, then use the 12 guage wire and jumper between the large cable that goes to the starter and where you just unplgged the starter lead. If it turns over then it is not your starter - it is either the switch or the something in the wiring harness or you don't have 12V at the large cable.

Kirk

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Got it fixed. Was indeed starter...

The spade connector clip broke off and ontop of that the starter was missing teeth.... LOL...
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Glad you got it fixed.
Jeff