Power Steering Swap In Crx 1g

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

stef

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: crx 1g 1.6 ZC
has anyone swaped power steerin from 3g civic to 1g crx?it is possible?what is nassesary to do it?only pomp or whole steerig gear mechanism?

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic Hatch D16A3
Yes it is possible, ive done it to my 3g civic. You need to swap over the whole crossmember, fairly easy to do, this is a bit of a touchy subject but i think it's worth it.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you could also use the system off an integra, but why swich? It robs hp, its heavy, it makes your engein compartment look unorgaized. but if you do alot of parking yeah I think it can be done.

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
It's easier to do push-ups every nite... but i have messed my arm up trying to turn too hard, but i like the feel of no power steering.
I have nothing...

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Power steering is also just something else that would need maitenence wink.gif
SportInjectedClub

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
power steering.. this is no luxury car smile.gif

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
leave it off.. once you are rolling it is not hard to steer. I like it without the power steering..it would be a hassle to swap and another thing that could break

Type X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Crx si (Black and Rusty)
Yeh, I wouldnt put power steering in a first gen rex. Number one its not worth it. Number two i always find power steering makes handling a car more difficult. Once you start losing control, its difficult to regain. Seeing as if find my rex to have an almost porsche like quality to turning on the inch wide wheels, I would really not like to risk losing it.
If you really enjoy the luxury of power steering, I can see where you are coming from, but why on a rex?

stef

• Granny
  • Pip
i dont need it, but my girl is going to drive crx, and she is rather small and weak.in fact i bought ma crx a week ago and not used to it yet, last my car without power steering i drove 6 years ago.

DarkHand

QUOTE (stef @ Mar 15 2004, 02:26 PM)
in fact i bought ma crx a week ago and not used to it yet, last my car without power steering i drove 6 years ago.

Well now's the perfect time to get used to it again! smile.gif When the Civic broke its timing belt we bought a 2001 Sunfire as a temporary replacement car (we needed a newer car for the whole family anyway)... After driving the Civic for so many years, the Sunfire's steering feels 'disconnected' from the car... I can only attribute that to the power steering.
DarkHand

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Mar 15 2004, 03:33 PM)
After driving the Civic for so many years, the Sunfire's steering feels 'disconnected' from the car...  I can only attribute that to the power steering.

i can attribute that to it being a GM laugh.gif
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

nivek2002

I can understand why you want it on there for your girlfriend. I have it on Sedan, but currently have the belt off because it was starting to go out. I actually like it better now, much better road feel. But yes in parking lots it sucks bad, you have to think ahead for how much room you need to manuver without breaking your arms off lol

JDN14

My CRX was my first car w/out power steering as well...after a couple weeks i got used to it and prefer it. I feel much more connected driving and dont even notice it while parking (and im quite scrawny as well).
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Type X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Crx si (Black and Rusty)
I agree completely, but i completely understand where your coming from. On new, wide, 13 inch tires, turning takes a lot for even me to do. A small female could turn it, but she will have burrly arms bigger than the hulks by the time a year is through.

And yes i also dislike gm, whoever posted that, I have a 4 door 2000 sunfire Se. I have a 2 grand stereo in it, yet I'd rather drive my rex, which has no stereo whatesoever!

Im out

Peace yall

stef

• Granny
  • Pip
hi again

yesterday i have started in a amateur rally on my crx and civic ( with power steering) and now i'm sure - a need it in crx smile.gif. civic had better times on slalom and i wasnt tired so much than after driving crx.i'll try to put power steering from 3g civic, i hope it will fit.

thansk for sugestions

stef