Overheating Please Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crxsi
Hey all, gonna try to expalin all ive done so far. i bought a 86 crx si (1.5 FI). drove it home. ran bad, sometimes would start sometimes wouldnt, did a compression test and had nothing at all on third cylinder. so i pulled the head to find that valves on 3 were always open, oops. so did valve job and installed new stem seals. remounted head, gasket didnt look bad so i re-used. when i did head gasket i found block had a bit of 'scale' in it so i also cleaned it out as best i could. after installing head started right up. oh yeah im the man, NOT. it overheats. so i have a friend come take a look. i have taken the fast idle valve apart and blocked it so it doesnt have fast idle when cold. we pull the thermo and gut it, reinstall, still overheats. remove water pump and check, looks ok, fins look ok and doesnt slip on shaft that connects to timing belt. so i pull head again, send it to shop to have checked and surfaced. got new head gasket and thermostat. went home and put it all in. at idle setting after about 30minutes its at about 3/4 on guage. so i drive to get gas when i return it has overheated. so due to the 'scale' in block i figure radiator has blockage, so i order radiator and hoses. put em in. still overheats. check timing can not get timing in range, so i move cam gear one tooth and can get it just at center timing mark with distributor fully advanced. went for a drive and still getting hot. any help would be greatly appreciated. questions i have

1. my cam gear doesnt have UP on it, how do i know if i am installing it in the proper position ?

2. do i need to move it one more tooth over to get where i can adjust timing better ?

3. can i be out 180 degrees ?

4. can my catalytic converter be causing this overheating ?

5. i have two hoses that go to the distributor, one has a #2 and on has a #5, which goes where on the distributor ?

thank you
Jeff

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (naddiev @ Oct 3 2004, 12:14 AM)
4. can my catalytic converter be causing this overheating ?

/\ How would that make it over heat ,clogged would get less flow but over-heat I dunno.

Meaby the radiator itself is the problem,clogged possibly?

5. i have two hoses that go to the distributor, one has a #2 and on has a #5, which goes where on the distributor ?

the 2 vaccume hoses? Theres a diagram under the hood.

hope this might help wink.gif
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

sedan sleeper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic sedan
I would pull the thermostat and bolt it back up, then run it and see if you get coolant flow, if not, check the heater core as it could be blocked. I don't believe your timing is out 180, it seems somewhere on this board this was asked and I believe the dizzy can only go in one way. As for timing set your #1 at TDC top dead center, then the cam gear should be set with the marks even with the surface of the head, and the valves closed for #1, dizzy at #1 too, this should be correct for the cam belt to go on now. Other things that could be the cause, Does the fan work, and how is the Temp sensor? If all else fails you may have a blocked head or passage in the block could be the cause, but you should be able to tell with no thermostat in it. no flow bad, flow good. If you suspect the heater core see if you get heat in the cab? You can also cut the inlet hose to the core and put in a T so you can reverse flush the cooling system. This is all based on the rad being good, so if you think it is blocked, same thing, check to see if you have flow, Good luck, maybe someone else has some more tips! P.S. always replace the headgasket with a new one, they are always a one shot deal, even if you take the head off again as they have a crush to seal surface. 44 to 48 footlbs torque but see specs to confirm!... But at least you own a crx!!! get past this and it will be good to you biggrin.gif I forgot to tell you one other tip, check the rad on all four corners, see if the temp is about the same every where, if one side is colder, it is blocked, check bottom and top too, the temp should be uniform throughout.

Edited by sedan sleeper, 02 October 2004 - 11:45 PM.

user posted image

opt1k

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI/89 Civic HB/89 Integra
recomend flush with a t adapter and a garden hose at full pressure with the thermostat out and the motor running, just let it spray out all over the driveway and hopefully it will unblock any clogged passage, then just make sure the cooling system burps when u refill it.
user posted image
Sporting a rubber band driven motor.

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
i placed a new radiator and upper and lower hoses in it after i did the head resurface and headgasket and thermostat didnt work. how would i check for coolant flow ? i have the fan switch jumped so the fan is always on, also have heat coming out of vents when i turn heat on.

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
the hood is off an 87 carbed car, so i couldnt find the proper hoses to the distributor, if anyone knows or can check thanks would be in order.

Thanks
Jeff

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If I had to guess I would say HEAD GASKET!
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
this morning i burped coolant and adjusted idle and timing came right into place, ran at idle for about 25 minutes and gauge got to about 3/4 sad.gif

any extra input ??

thank again
Jeff

JAYD

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 99 Civic SiR, 87 CRX si, 2005 Chrysler 300SS
MAybe the water pump is not pumping?? just a guess?

Jay!

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
JAYD brings up a good point. I remember reading of one redpepperracing member (I forget who) who had the same problem & finally figured out that the impeller blades on the water pump had rusted away & the pump was not moving enough water to properly cool the motor.

When you say overheating, are you going by the guage or is it boiling over?
Does the rad get hot?

Edited by Surestick, 03 October 2004 - 10:06 PM.

JAYD

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 99 Civic SiR, 87 CRX si, 2005 Chrysler 300SS
What is your water to coolant ratio? I have mine at 50/50...

JayD!

Edited by JAYD, 03 October 2004 - 10:11 PM.

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
Have you checked all your plugs to make sure non of them are running lean?Retarded timing (at idle or cruise speeds) would make it run hot. Have you checked with a timing gun to see if it advances throughout the rpm range?

Ed
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
yeahi have checked timing with a gun, i had had the idle a bit high, its now at aprox 800 and timing is at center mark of the three marks on pulley, it also advances when i rev.

do the blocks ever have any problems ? or is that unlikely ?

i attempted to burb system by squeezing hoses and got alot of air.

when i pulled the water pump the blades looked ok.

i have replaced the thermostat, radiator, cap, upper and lower hoses.

thank you everyone for all the replies, i really wanna get this car running so i can let the wife have her car back.

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
ok gonna replace the water pump tomorrow and change the oil

naddiev

• Granny
  • Pip
Earlier today replaced water pump and changed the oil. I bled and burped water system, started right up as always. I left the cap off to see what was going on and water rose a bit the whole time and then after about 10-15 minutes started getting air bubbles coming out of radiator, so i then placed cap on. gauge got to about 7/8 then i shut it off.

gonna recheck head gasket again this week

i have replaced everything in the cooling system that i know to do.

what is chances of block or head ??

again any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jeff

BTW anyone near Augusta GA ??