Megasquirt

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx
i'm thinking about running megasquirt in my car. I have a fuel injected motor, all stock and the whole wiring harness. I have a carb'd car. Is anyone running megasquirt? If so are you happy with it? Does anyone have all of the data that i can use to program one if i get one? I want to switch to an electronic advance dizzy on the motor too. ANy information on megasquirt would be great. I would also really like to get some base numbers for programming it. Thanks

King D

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '98 ITR, 86 4x4 wagovan, '70 mini - project vehicle
QUOTE (hot87crx @ Sep 26 2007, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm thinking about running megasquirt in my car. I have a fuel injected motor, all stock and the whole wiring harness. I have a carb'd car. Is anyone running megasquirt? If so are you happy with it? Does anyone have all of the data that i can use to program one if i get one? I want to switch to an electronic advance dizzy on the motor too. ANy information on megasquirt would be great. I would also really like to get some base numbers for programming it. Thanks

Megasquirt has TONS of online support. Start here if you havn't already: http://www.megasquirt.info/

I have megajolt lite jr. just about setup for my carb'd D16A1. Ignition control only, still using ford edis components (crank trigger/coils/VR sensor etc.)

Edited by King D, 26 September 2007 - 09:33 AM.

user posted image
Wagovan-Clan Member

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
I've been using it for a few years now. Earlier this year I upgraded to the MSII daughter card (better, faster processor) so I could run the EDIS and eliminate the distributor. I've built at least four of them now, they're really easy to do...IF you know how to solder!

Built a Megajolt jr. too but it never worked right...never had that problem with any of my MS's.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Can anyof your guys give me data to start with? I have a D15 all stock

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Does anyone have the data that i can use to start with? It would be awesome if i didn't have to start from scratch. If you don't have it do you know where i can get accurate base numbers for everything?

jsgprod

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (hot87crx @ Sep 28 2007, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have the data that i can use to start with? It would be awesome if i didn't have to start from scratch. If you don't have it do you know where i can get accurate base numbers for everything?

What data are you specifically looking for? You will need to do some re-wiring with the MS but exactly what you need to do would depend on whether or not you want keep the rest of the wiring as original as possible or not. You want to just wire it up directly to the motor? or put it in (or near) the original location/case. It can be done, someone here has done it (install in the OE case), I just don't remember who it was.

As far as A/F mapping and any other initial set-up points, every application is going to be a little different but I would think a baseline, from me or someone else will at least get your engine running. Then you tune accordingly....but that info will do you no good at all until you get the MS installed and wired up.

You have to start somewhere, sometimes 'scratch' is as good a place as any. wink.gif

Jay

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I am in the process of getting the money for the board. I have all of the sensors and relays and i am going to rewire it all. I'm going to get a relay board and do it that way. I'm in an automotive class at school and my teacher is going to help with all of the wiring. The baseline data would be awesome. I just need enough to get it running and then i'll go from there.

jsgprod

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (hot87crx @ Sep 28 2007, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in the process of getting the money for the board. I have all of the sensors and relays and i am going to rewire it all. I'm going to get a relay board and do it that way. I'm in an automotive class at school and my teacher is going to help with all of the wiring. The baseline data would be awesome. I just need enough to get it running and then i'll go from there.

DON'T use GM sensors(unless you really want to)...you don't need them. You can use stock Honda sensors, that's all I've ever had on my car (and the ones I've built for others) and they work fine.
HOWEVER, you will have to change the value of 2 resistors on the board during assembly. I have the value and the resistor #'s in all my assembly data but it's not with me right now, I have also posted that same data on this site (somewhere) within the past year I believe. If I find the time later I'll do a search...unless you want to, I know it's here.

I'll go through some of my older files and see if I can find one that I used on one of my milder engines.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Sweet. I ahve a wiring harness from an 85 si so i'll use all of those sensors. Should i use a relay board from megasquirt or should i use the main relay from the si and just wire in fuses where i took them off hte fuse panel? Also, what do i do since i have vacuam advance? Would it be worth it to get one of those adapter plates and run a dizzy off of an integra?

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
SO i was up until 4 in the morning building the megasquirt. i got all of it done except the jumper wires. I still have to check and make sure everythins works.

malichite

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Too man hondas
If you want some really good info on MS, check out my buddies site. He has a bunch of info on how to convert turboedit bins to MS vex fiiles. This way you can get a copy of the stock maps and convert them perfectly. He also shows all of the pinouts from MS to Honda. Excellent site.

www.buddyabaddon.spaces.live.com

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage
I have an msd 6al will I have to use the
High current ignition driver. Use a 12V pull-up resistor, not the 5V option. This will be used to trigger the Honda ignitor

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

malichite

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Too man hondas
QUOTE (1gcvcb18 @ Oct 21 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an msd 6al will I have to use the
High current ignition driver. Use a 12V pull-up resistor, not the 5V option. This will be used to trigger the Honda ignitor

12V

Abaddon

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 1990 CRX DX, 1991 CRX HF
Be sure to read this on connecting the MSD 6a with MegaSquirt: http://www.megamanua...m/ms2/msd6a.htm

Looks like you'll still need to use the high current ignition driver. Your setup will be a little different from what I've outlined at http://buddyabaddon.spaces.live.com. The information there is more of a plug-and-play setup for MegaSquirt with Honda OBD0 cars.

By using the MSD ignition, you are essentially replacing the Honda ignitor unit. This means that instead of connecting wire D36 from your MS to the Honda ignitor in the distributor, you will connect it to the advance control signal (white wire) of the MSD unit. You won't use the VR sensor inputs on the MSD unit. Instead, you will still have the Honda TDC VR sensor in the distributor signal the MS which in turn, sends out a square wave signal to the MSD box (via the white wire) using the high current ignition driver. The one thing I was curious on was what value to use for the pull-up resistor for the MS high current ignition driver, they make no mention on the MSD page. So, I checked the MS forums: http://www.msefi.com...ic.php?p=148197. Looks like the MSD can handle floating ground inputs, so no pull-up resistor is needed with the high current ignition driver.

Also, what are you using for a coil?? Do you have an MSD coil or are you planning on using the Honda coil in the distributor?

If you plan to use the Honda coil, definately read the section on page 21: http://www.msdigniti...ies/6series.pdf
You're going to have to wire the MSD up to the coil in the distributor.

Man Honda crams a bunch of crap in their distributors smile.gif

Let us know how it goes. I've wanted to try the MegaSquirt with MSD ignition at one point, looks like you beat me to it.

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Abaddon @ Oct 24 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, what are you using for a coil?? Do you have an MSD coil or are you planning on using the Honda coil in the distributor?
I am using the msd blaster coil 2 and have to install jacob 8.5mm spark plug wires

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread