The Worst Fuel Consumption

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

BOGIE

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86'si
I have some issues to ask the big boys about.

My 86si is giving me this problems

1. I Got the worst fuel consumption in the world, for 112k. 17liters 98oktane about 5 gallons for 65 miles mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
2. The car for a about a year now is staling in the low RPM and when it gets to about 4000 its like turbo kicks in, when I moved the ignition timing forward to the end it got better, but still drives terribly. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
3. I have taken the car to about 5 different shops to take look at the problem and so far no one is able to fix it including the Honda dealer when they opened the hood the 2 gays said “engine like this one doesn’t exist on this planet”.
mad.gif ohmy.gif smile.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
So please HELP me.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It could be any number of things. Is it an SOHC or DOHC engine? Are you getting a check engine light?

I'd start here: http://www.redpepper...fsm-chap11b/aaq
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i had a similar problem (minus the stalling) and it was the lack of map sensor (oops) was getting about 75 miles out of 8 gallons of gas (9.3 mpg). ran really rough and smelled of raw gas, smoked dark black but hauled ass on top end. might want to check that somehow.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

tencutty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch
QUOTE (crxls @ Apr 1 2005, 12:31 PM)
i had a similar problem (minus the stalling) and it was the lack of map sensor (oops) was getting about 75 miles out of 8 gallons of gas (9.3 mpg). ran really rough and smelled of raw gas, smoked dark black but hauled ass on top end. might want to check that somehow.

Im experiencing the exact same problem now. I got 212 miles out of 9.4 gallons.(22 mpg) The manual said check all vaccuum for leaks and all intake fittings for leaks too. done that. my lower vac advance on the distributor had broken off so i superglued that puppy back on. Still hesitates in first and second gear. im thinking since my engine is the ew5 with ew4 everything else, its the cam( i have removed the 4 aux lifters). im going to swap the ew4 cam in and try that. if that dont work then i know i either burned out my throttle position sensor or the fast idle valve by the throttle body has a leaking valve. so basically i could just junk swap those and pray for the best. . today i replaced my entire exhaust system for $138 , because that also was trash. ive reset timing and changed out O2 sensor. this is starting to piss me off.

Just want a good commuter.
But the good news is i found some 85 prelude seats in perfect condition( the have the adjustable lumbar supports, AWESOME) i just mounted in. not a direct swap so some fab had to be done, but they look and feel great.
Aoccdring to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtsy,it deosn't mttar in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are. The olny imprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the right pclae. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

boosted_zc

• In need of anger management
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 91 Turbo ZC Civic Hatch,95 4X4 Sonoma
Alot of times your o2 sensor will go bad without throwing a code, and if the o2 isn't reading properly it can really screw up your a/f ratio. I had the same problem with a 4g hatch, fuel economy kept going down down down, then one day the o2 finally kicked a code. Replaced it and back up to 35 mpg. It's worth a shot, it was only $40 at Autozone (Bosch too, not a piece of shit)

And as a different soution, look at your map sensor, that can also cause havoc in your fuel system. AND if you have a fuel pressure guage you can throw on your rail test your fuel pressure. When i put my walbro in my hatch it overpowered the stock FPR and i had to get an AEM. Im sure your probably running a stock fuel pump, im just suggesting to check to make sure your FPR is maintaining that 30ish fuel pressure.

Honestly there are alot of things to check so do a couple of these and the others some people have suggested and let us know
If it has an engine....i will tear it apart.

90 Civic Si
87 CRX DX !!SOLD!!
91 Civic Hatch w/ turbo ZC
95 Sonoma 4X4
02 CRV (the wifey's)

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You might possibly check to make sure the timing belt hasn't jumped a couple of teeth.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.