1G Crx/3G Civic Parts You'd Love To See Produced?

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.

HI Folks!

It's been a long time since I've been on the board, but my brother and I have been racing 1st gen CRX's and 3rd gen civics for about ten years now. We've had a few cars in the RPR calendar, and a couple/few top 5 finishes at the GRM $200X Challenges, and some success at Chump/LeMons.

Anyway, we're considering producing/selling parts for these cars as a lot of them seem to be rapidly becoming "unobtanium."

What do you guys need that you can't find? We have some ideas in mind, but would like to see if our ideas jibe with yours.

Thanks

Mike

Hong Norr Racing

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Hey Mike...saw your post and am wondering if you will elaborate a bit. How committed are you wanting to get and are you considering mainly racing parts or...?

Been an awful lot of folks begin to produce some particular item and then just disappear over the years. Chedda's Auto and Heeltoe are about the only ones who actually followed through. It would certainly be advantageous to have more vendors so fill us in on your ideas, please!

Skip

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

ADRex

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I would like to see 1G headers produced again

Vicious

Seals!!! All types of seals lol

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

I'm looking for a dual bend extended shifter for our cars like fastline offers for later gen hondas. 

fastline.extshifter4_d.jpg

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si 2002 Audi S6 1997 4runner 2003 Audi A6 6MT BiTurbo 1991 Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

QUARTER WINDOW TRIM (#4 & 5)

Yes, I meant to type in all caps.

quarter-window-2146483_zps3dyeax3w.png

WANTED - See my posts in the WTB section

The old long term build which I can no longer edit since my original account broke a few years back.

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks for all the GREAT input!

Skip: Committed enough that we've got the 3D printer fired up RIGHT NOW! ;)

Will post more details as we start getting the "low-hanging-fruit" prototypes produced. Till then, please keep your suggestions coming! Parts will be both racing AND "factory reproduction" oriented.

Good news: We just moved our LeChump car into our garage at Atlanta Motorsports Park for R&D!

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Have any events on your schedule for AMP or Road Atlanta for this year?  It'd be cool to see two torsion bar cars on the track at once. 

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

I'll look forward to seeing the first products! Something that I could use for both the CRX and Civic Hatch are the shift mechanism parts that cannot be sourced from dealerships anymore. As shown in the image below that would be:

Dust Cover

Shift Ball Retainer

Shift Ball Seat

Shift Ball Dust Seal

With the greatest need being those in red first.

abk.png

Other items such as the rubber inner wiper strips at driver and passenger windows, Civic Si sunroof and rear hatch weatherstrips and a Si hatch sunroof shade cover that IS NOT made from cardboard (some day I may attempt recreating one in fiberglass using the hardware from my cardboard one...if no one else does it). Those are what come readily to mind.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

The plastic form that fits between the ball joint and the end of the lower control arm. It's a piece that fits into the end of the arm, with one section of tube cradling the upper part of the ball joint bolt, and the other section cradling the ball itself. Two different diameters. That seems to be the part that if it could be replaced would allow a rebuild of the lower conrtol arm - pull it apart, replace the plastic, reinsert the ball joint and grease, and use a welch plug to seal the grease in.   I've pulled apart a later model replaceable ball joint to see if I could swap in the later parts, but the diameters etc are larger so it can't be done.

I'd love to be able to rebuild those arms.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

And another item would be the headlight bulb retainer rings. I'm in fear every time I need to replace a bulb that that will be the time when they finally just disintegrate!

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Have any events on your schedule for AMP or Road Atlanta for this year?  It'd be cool to see two torsion bar cars on the track at once. 

How about three?  I live a half hour from AMP, and actually go by the track every weekend (my wife has her horse at a barn next to the track).  We need to get the Georgia RPR members together, SOON.  

One idea regarding parts, would be a replacement for the window trim piece that runs along the top of the door.  When these rot, they're done.  It looks like the rubber wiper seal is part of an over-mold around the metal structure of the part.  When the sun rots the material, it cracks off rendering the wiper seal useless.  I wonder if there's a way to make a replacement for the over-mold so that we could reused the metal structure, or just make a replacement trim piece. 

Thanks for offering your services!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

CSPCRX

As others have said window trim is impossible to find amd when its gone its gone. Door seals are other one that are in tough shape and can no available.

A small part overlooked often is the small gasket that goes between the door locks and door. They seem very generic but nothing fits them in the aftermarket.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Love it, guys!!!!!

Regarding AMP: We have been up there pretty much every weekend in January. It's our new "Happy Place." Lol.

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks again for all the input. A lot of the items you guys have posted are things I hadn't considered...especially being in the land of 100% rust-free cars!

Our first goal is to grab the "low-hanging-fruit," and the window trim is one of those things I'd never considered.

In talking to fellow enthusiasts, hubs also seem to be unobtanium(?)

In the meantime, the website recently went live, and we've printed a ton of shirts and beer coozies to help fund the R&D. Please support our sickness! :P

hongnorr.com

We're also (per CRXer87hf's suggestion) working on getting an RPR meet at AMP set up for this year. Our buddies two garages down have been begging us to buy/build a spec miata. We have instead (in conjuction with them) been working on creating a new points series for smaller displacement cars.

Will keep y'all updated!!!

Edited by poopshovel, 16 January 2016 - 04:08 PM.