1987 Honda Civic 1500 Si L4 1.5l Fi

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I bought a 1987 Civic Si about three months ago.. I have had about 5 offers for it since. It has running great until about a month and a half ago. It has a 1.5L fuel injection engine (I think EW4). I was driving home one day and the engine cut off.. To me it seemed that the fuel seemed to cut off to the engine completely.. It wouldn't start what so ever after i got it out of the road.. I went back later that night it started right up.. I have changed the distributor cap and rotor button.. It ran fine for about a week.. It starts when it wants to.. When it does start it runs like nothing is wrong.. To me it seems to be an electrical problem, a messed up ECU, a sensor, or fuel injector problem.

I have asked many ppl opinions

Junk in the gas tank
Bad ignitor coil
Fuel filter (changed it twice)
Bad spark plug wires
Fuel pump (but why would it work some of the time?)

No one seems to be helping.

I checked the self diagnostic on the ecu and it seems that its either not working right or it doesn't reconize the problem.. Whatever the problem is it seems minor, its just finding it. The honda place wants $65/hr just to look at it (no way).

If anyone has had this happen to them or knows what is wrong help would be appreciated.

Edited by Alchemist Dragon, 08 October 2005 - 11:51 AM.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Call me crazy, but it does sound very much like your fuel pump is starting to go out on you. Are you the only driver to this car? How many owners before you? My guess is it is either the fuel pump is overheating or you have a short in the wires leading to the fuel pump.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
That actually has crossed my mind before.... As for how many ppl owned it before me that is up in the air... I got it from a used car lot.. As soon as I saw it I knew i wanted it. From the shape the car was in when I got it, I would say it only had one previous owner.. The only things really wrong with it body wise I did to it and they are very minor.

It seems to me that its a minor problem that is easily fix once I figure out what is wrong.. Money is an issue for me right now as well..

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Here is a question for you: Does it mainly cut out when its damp or wet outside?

Secondly to check your wires for a short only takes about 20min worth of visual inspection, its all located right along the drivers side of the car under your carpet.
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Here the thing that gets me about it... A few days ago it was pouring the rain and it started fine.. Its very picky when it wants to start... I have heard everything about whats wrong and not one person seems to know what they are talking about... I wish I had some local help..

Its been a lot of guessing and spending money on things it could be and it has solve the problem yet..

Edited by Alchemist Dragon, 08 October 2005 - 01:44 PM.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
its your igniter dude. almost always is the igniter. unless its only when extremely hot inside the car that it dont want to start, then its the main relay.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 8 2005, 01:43 PM)
Here the thing that gets me about it...    A few days ago it was pouring the rain and it started fine..  Its very picky when it wants to start...   I have heard everything about whats wrong and not one person seems to know what they are talking about...   I wish I had some local help.. 

Its been a lot of guessing and spending money on things it could be and it has solve the problem yet..

You could talk to bryman he is somewhat local to you and there are a number of NC/SC people on this board.

But, with it being picky I would have to agree with crxls on this one, it does sound like the ignitor.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm going to price all the parts.. Right now though all i can do is price.. I have some help money wise.. I'm on the verge of losing my place though.. What can you say? I'm a college student.. Going to be easier to find a job once I have my ride back..

So replace the Ignitor coil then go from there?
or the ignition switch?

Edited by Alchemist Dragon, 08 October 2005 - 02:40 PM.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Sorry, I'm new at working on cars.. I know very little.. Never had anyone to show me the ropes.. So, I'm attempting to teach myself..

If it comes down to its I'm going to "borrow" one of my stepdads friends garage (He races in Fast Ford circuit).. If I happen to lose my apt and have to move back to my hometown then I might as well make the best of it..

Edited by Alchemist Dragon, 08 October 2005 - 03:39 PM.

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
If you can, next time it won't start go pull a spark plug wire off and place it near a ground and crank the car to check for spark while cranking. My bet would be the ignitor too. It's one of the few parts that can cause an intermittant problem like you're having. But, if you have spark while the car isn't starting then I'd guess the main relay. Both of these components are fairly likely candidates. Regardless of the type of car, the basic steps in diagnosis are the same.

You need a few basic things for a motor to run. Fuel, spark, and compression. And they all have to happen at the right times. Intermittiant problems are usually ignition/electrical.

Honda fuel pumps rarely go bad. Honda ignitors often go bad, as do the main relays. There are also some other sensors inside the distributer that can go bad and cause the same symptoms.

Good luck - Chris

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 8 2005, 02:31 PM)
So replace the Ignitor coil then go from there?
or the ignition switch?

igniter (or ignition module, depending on who/what store you talk to). not igniter coil.

the igniter and the coil are 2 different parts. ignition switch is where you put the key to turn the car on (not this part)

this igniter will run you roughly $70-80 and is inside the distributor under the cap

good luck
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well, i'd think it to be the main relay. when it doesn't start, turn the key off, then turn it back on.. can you hear the fuel pump "prime"? aka, run for a few seconds? my car does this a lot now adays.. it'll start for like 2-3 seconds then die.. i'll have to sit there, take the key all the way out and wait about 3 seconds then try 'er again.. usually it starts, sometimes it doesn't.. but i think my igniter is going bad, too.. oh well! it's always something!!!
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm going to put an igniter in it this week... I will update you guys to weither or not it works..

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
If it is the Main Relay it is located on the left side under the dash behind the fuse box. It's about 2"x2" square and it does say main relay on it. If you have access to another vehicle try and swap these between the cars. I had that happen and it would crank and maybe fire once if I was lucky. Wait a few minutes and it would start.
Some people take them out and have the joints resoldered and away you go or buy a brand new one from Honda. Electrical problems are absolutely the worst to sort out. The other thing you could try is to loosen the top bolt on the fuel filter. It may still be under pressure so be careful. If you turn on the key you should be getting fuel squirting out. If you do, the fuel pump is working and at that moment the main relay. With them it is a hot cold thing. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I changed the igniter and it started for a brief second then died once again...
Think the main relay should be next? It doesn't sound like the fuel pump is working current so would a short in the main relay cause the problem?