Torsion Bar/tube Differences?

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I finally got around to installing the Mugen 25.6mm t-bars on my 3G today, but ran into a problem.

The t-bars are about two inches too short for my 3G tubes, so I'm assuming they are for a 1G? huh.gif

So my question is this...Can I use 1G tubes on my 3G and make new holes in the frame rails for the end caps? I remember seeing this question before, but I can't seem to find it in the search.

Also, I see that Upgrade Motoring, and I think Lightspeed, make/made bars that fit Civic's and CRX's, but I don't see different part numbers. Do they simply sell one length for both cars, or do you specify when ordering?

Even the Mugen catalogs show only different part numbers for sizes, but nothing about differences between 1G and 3G length.

DSMTimeline.jpg

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
The torque tubes should b interchangeable between 1G/3G/Integra. The only difference is the length and the bolt position for the cap. Just make sure you rust proof the new hole or weld on a nut to bolt to. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The Civic and CRX torsion bars are the same length, and the Integra's are longer.
Posted Image

catch22

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84CRXHF, 86CivicSi, ITA88CRXSi, 89CRXSi
1G CRX specs from Hondaswap and member pissedoffsol can be found here.
http://hondaswap.com...rx-faq-s-29108/
Lots of good info to be found in this post, just giving credit where it is due.

Just the suspension specs from the above linked post.

Both the Si CRX and DX CRX had the same suspension Specs
Stock 84-87 SI&DX: Front sway bar 16mm
Rear internal sway bar 15mm
Torsion bar 20mm @24.5" Long

Civic Wagon 2WD: Front sway bar 20mm
Rear internal sway bar 15.5mm (won't fit into CRX beam axle due to end link)
Torsion bar 21mm @22.5"Long (shorter then CRX bar, need wagon torque tubes)
Thicker rear springs (cut to fit)
Civic Wagon 4WD: Torsion Bars 21mm @ 24.75" Long (will work with CRX Torque tubes.)

Integra: Front sway bar 19mm
Rear sway bar 17mm
Torsion bar 22mm they are longer then CRX bars and won't fit in lower arms
Thicker rear springs

Nothing listed for the CRX HF. Does anyone have the torsion bar and sway bar info on the HF to add here?

Jason

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the info!

But things aren't adding up. My Mugen bars are 22.5", so they are shorter than the 20mm bars from my 3G, which are 24.5".

Are the Mugen bars designed to work only with the Mugen tubes? If so, I'm screwed because I'll never find a set of those.

And for those people running the Mugen bars, what tubes are you using and on what car?

So if the 1G and 3G tubes and bars are the same, and the Integra and Wagon bars are longer, why the hell are my Mugen bars so short?

DSMTimeline.jpg

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My Mugen bars are slightly longer than my OEM's, they stick out the front control arm like 1/4", enough that i cant put the caps on.
Posted Image

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Also just to clarify, I just compared the part numbers on my t-bar boxes to those found in the Mugen 3G N1 brochure and they're the same:

51401-XB2-00RA-B (25.6)
51402-XB2-00RA-B (25.6)

DSMTimeline.jpg

rwdcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx dx (in a re-build phase); 02 Cadillac Escalade (gas hog) ; 03 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
QUOTE (Airgazm86 @ Aug 24 2008, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also just to clarify, I just compared the part numbers on my t-bar boxes to those found in the Mugen 3G N1 brochure and they're the same:

51401-XB2-00RA-B (25.6)
51402-XB2-00RA-B (25.6)

That's not the same number....just sayin. wink.gif
"Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers"

Freedom has a taste, a sweetness, that only those that have fought for it, know.

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
^^^ im pretty sure one is left and one is right...

my Upgrade bars were longer than stock aswell, I had to slot my end cap holes to get em on. My front caps bulge a little as well

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (ATXBoy @ Aug 24 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^^ im pretty sure one is left and one is right...

DSMTimeline.jpg

rwdcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx dx (in a re-build phase); 02 Cadillac Escalade (gas hog) ; 03 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
^^^^^^^Ahh I see where you were going with that....sorry. blush.gif

Edited by rwdcrx, 24 August 2008 - 05:37 PM.

"Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers"

Freedom has a taste, a sweetness, that only those that have fought for it, know.

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Also, another bit of info...my OEM 3G torsion tubes are about 14" from end to end.

So the way I see it, there's no physical way these Mugen bars will fit my car, or any other car, unless the Mugen tubes are shorter and have longer end caps. huh.gif

I'm stumped.

DSMTimeline.jpg

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
QUOTE (Airgazm86 @ Aug 24 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info!

But things aren't adding up. My Mugen bars are 22.5", so they are shorter than the 20mm bars from my 3G, which are 24.5".

Are the Mugen bars designed to work only with the Mugen tubes? If so, I'm screwed because I'll never find a set of those.

And for those people running the Mugen bars, what tubes are you using and on what car?

So if the 1G and 3G tubes and bars are the same, and the Integra and Wagon bars are longer, why the hell are my Mugen bars so short?

Unless I'm missing something, shouldn't 2WD wagon torque tubes work? The T-bars are the same length as your odd Mugen set, 22.5". Hard to believe Mugen made suspension components for wagons, so maybe someone goofed during manufacture. Your best bet may be to scrounge a set of 2WD wagon torque tubes from the JY, and add holes in the frame rails to move the end caps forward a few inches.

E-AT CIVIC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i had the same setup (Mugen 25.6mm on a civic 3g hatch) and the only torsion tube i found that fited with the Mugen t-bars was the 84-87 wagon one... but the cap will not bolt into the OEM hole...

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (E-AT CIVIC @ Aug 24 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i had the same setup (Mugen 25.6mm on a civic 3g hatch) and the only torsion tube i found that fited with the Mugen t-bars was the 84-87 wagon one... but the cap will not bolt into the OEM hole...

THANK YOU! How exactly did you make new holes in your frame rail for the wagon caps to fit?

So maybe it's possible that JDM and/or EDM 3G's had different t-bars and tubes than those on USDM cars?

I just posted a want ad for a pair of these tubes. Please let me know if anyone has a pair for sale.

DSMTimeline.jpg