87 Integra D16A1 Obd0 To Obd1

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

Neo

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Acura Integra
I've been searching around and I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to convert my obd0 to obd1.

Plain and simple
I know wiring kits are made now to convert from obd0
I see the Td41u dizzy seems to be most mentioned because my 87 is vacuum advanced.
I know the p28 is a popular ecu but I'm not sure

If anyone could lay down a neat description of what I need to convert and make it work I would be very appreciative

Thanks in advance

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
The 86-87 D16A1 is (pre OBD). The 88-89 D16A1 is (OBD0) even these 2 distributors do not bolt on without some work. I would guess the sensors are different as well from (pre OBD) to (OBD1)

PuddleSkipper seems to know more about this.

Jeff

Neo

• Granny
  • Pip
So what should I do to get to obd1

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
https://grassrootsmo...on/18452/page1/

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

the question should be why go to obd1?

Neo

• Granny
  • Pip
In order to tune properly

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

You can tune obd0 without any problem...I have a 12.5:1 CR D16A1 in my 87 CRX Si that runs on e85 with a PR4 ECU that has fuel/ignition maps that I built?  I have run this setup for many years without any issues - so what are you hoping to gain by going to obd1?

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

You can tune obd0 without any problem...I have a 12.5:1 CR D16A1 in my 87 CRX Si that runs on e85 with a PR4 ECU that has fuel/ignition maps that I built?  I have run this setup for many years without any issues - so what are you hoping to gain by going to obd1?

I would really like to know all about this set up.
Jeff

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Jeff,

The ECU is from the 91 Integra - obd0 PR4 (there are others that work too...).  I removed the IC that stores the maps, inserted a socket and plugged in a Moates Ostrich - this is a EEPROM that allows you to write whatever maps you want to in it in real time...tune with the engine running!  I use Tuner Express for the tuning software - simple and easy to use.  I use a TTL to USB translator on the CN2 port that allows datalogging in Tuner Express as well.

There were a few wires to move around in the harness to get from the EW vacuum advance distributor to the D16A1 electronic advance distributor - lots of info here about how to do that.

Kirk

Neo

• Granny
  • Pip
Well I was told I obd1 was easier to tune, but I'll read through that link and see what I can do. I'm just getting into it and if I could possibly trouble you further on the future about your same set up. I just want to tune because I installed aftermarket headers back, cat delete, skunk 2 throttle body, 300cc injectors. Just wanted to tune it to let the computer know it had those options avaliable

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member

OBDI is much easier to tune because that's what most tuners know how to tune! If you are going to convert pre OBD-O to OBDI it is involved. You will need to use an OBD0 head. You will need to then use an OBDI dizzy and plug the exhaust cam. At the ECU you are best off using an OBD0 to OBDI jumper and ADDING the shielded wires for the dizzy with a straight run from the plug at the dizzy to the jumper. I've done it a few times. It's not that tricky. If you want to send me $$ I can make you the harness that you need.

1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester

I'm looking at an Integra with the OBD1 distributor.  I'd like more info on this... I'm doing my searching, but, let me know any helpful hints please.

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage

I'm converting my Blacktop A1 to OBD1. The blacktop is the best candidate due to the TD41U will bolt to the blacktop head. I am also using the OBD1 P29 intake with a Max Bore S2K throttle body and P29 ECU. I will probably switch to a Hondata unit later on. I am using a Rywire D-series OBD1 harness. Its great as that I only have to hook up a handful of wires. You will need an HF cluster for the VSS. There are other ways to acquire the VSS signal, but this might be the easiest way to go.