Thinking Of Getting Out The Honda Game

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
i been thinking for a while about getting out the honda game and selling my 87 crx si,it's just that at times i feel that i put time and effort into the car and it's never done.when it's on the road it's great but when it's not it really suck's mad.gif .the reason i got the 1st. gen crx was because everyone around me were getting bubbles(92-95 civic)so i wanted to be different.so i tried to be alil different by going zc instead of b16 or h22.i got time and money in my car and i'm really feeling that i should cut my loses and get rid of it.well just a few thing's i've done to it are:zc swap,obd1 wiring and ecu,built motor,wisco pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,dc sport turbo manifold,t3/t4 turbo,air to water intercooler,head package(double spring's,three angle valve job,ect)custom traction bar's,just to name a few thing's to the motor.for the car i got jdm 2 gen si seat's,3 gen crx mat;s,jdm head,corner,and tail light's,mugen cf-48 rim's that i just got done over so they look new,and a set of bogart's with new slick's for the track.and a whole lot of oem stuff and other thing's.i'm sure other's have thought about getting out b4,well my question is:why shouldn't i sell everything and get out?
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
because you won't get anything near what you put in, back out of it. If jeff was here, he would offer you $5 for it, after you brought it to him. But you would feel good about it, until you were walking back home. And then you wouldn't feel good, and go and buy another, or a kia. You would probably buy a kia. Go buy a kia. No one I know is drag racing them. Do that, and you could still be original. Yay!!! originality. Boooo, for being like an estimated3200 others.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

simplyhonda

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 89 Wagon RT4wd, 1979 Civic 1200, 1986 Land Cruiser
    • Image Gallery
In my experience I am glad as hell I never sold. I almost did. I had my car for 7 or 8 years. I had pored countless amounts of time and money into a car that was valuable to me but in all honesty would have a hard time bringing over $2G. After my 2nd kid was born I had a hard time justifying keeping my CRX. So insted of selling for next to nothing, I took her off the road for a couple of years, parked it under a shelter and went on about my life. One day not so long ago I discovered this site. It was the motivation I needed to enjoy the car I love again. I know now how bad I would have regreted selling it. Do what you need to do - but think long and hard about leaving the Honda Game!
Helping keep the first generation CRX alive!

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
QUOTE (simplyhonda @ Mar 31 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my experience I am glad as hell I never sold. I almost did. I had my car for 7 or 8 years. I had pored countless amounts of time and money into a car that was valuable to me but in all honesty would have a hard time bringing over $2G. After my 2nd kid was born I had a hard time justifying keeping my CRX. So insted of selling for next to nothing, I took her off the road for a couple of years, parked it under a shelter and went on about my life. One day not so long ago I discovered this site. It was the motivation I needed to enjoy the car I love again. I know now how bad I would have regreted selling it. Do what you need to do - but think long and hard about leaving the Honda Game!

thanx,i know if i do sell i would regret it but would it be for the best? i don't know huh.gif
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I'm confused. It seems to me like you are "done" the primary project. Is it not running or something? Or are you simply saying you always find something new to modify and consume your money and time?

C8V6C

Projects will never end...I have thought about swapping chassis before, but don't think I could ever do that or sell this one...it'll sit in the garage forever before I would be able to sell it without losing huge amounts of money

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
the honda game? this isnt a game to me, it's a lifestyle. i have also thought about abandoning the honda lifestyle for 2 reasons... police and PA inspections/emissions. police always pull over the little honda before anything else. i have proved time and time again that this is true because i drive very agressively in my old 92 ranger... to the point that i didnt give ashit and i never got pulled over in it but i get pulled over numerous times a year in my honda's when not doing anything near what i was in the old ranger or the new one. the other reason is inspections/emissions in PA (you guys in Cali think you got it bad...) which is run by private individuals who are given the power to use "their best judgement". for example, every time i take one of my honda's in they say i need almost everything replaced (once it was tires and the ones on the car were 4 hours old and had roughly 50 miles on them) but then i can take my old ranger i had in and pass with flying colors... it didnt have rear brakes and tires were past half tread.

with that said, recently i was offered a pretty generous price for my CRX and i had to turn the guy down. i just couldnt bing myself to do it because the chances of finding another decent 1G would be hard enough and then if i did find one, i would be starting over with another B or K swap anyway.

i have seen it over and over again. people sell out and then come back to RPR looking for another 1/3G. think long and hard if you are going to be one of those people before you do it
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX Spyder, 1987 Shelby GLHS, 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT
QUOTE (crxls @ Mar 31 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the other reason is inspections/emissions in PA (you guys in Cali think you got it bad...) which is run by private individuals who are given the power to use "their best judgement".

Agreed. We in California have ridiculous emission inspections on cars between 1976 - 1994, which have to undergo extra testing beyond the norms of a newer car. You guys in Pennsylvania have those stupid crazy annual inspections you have to pass. I've had friends fail your inspections due to rust pinholes in the body or just small amounts of surface rust. And now I hear that your governor or legislature wants to adopt the more stringent California emission standards? That will be the worst of both car worlds.
A WarrenTee is better than a guarantee. This WarrenTee is for life.

"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes." - Carroll Shelby (January 11, 1923 - May 10, 2012)

http://karakullake.b...eet-photos.html

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
This wasn't posted 1 day early, by chance?

Just checking...

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (GLHS988 @ Apr 1 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. We in California have ridiculous emission inspections on cars between 1976 - 1994, which have to undergo extra testing beyond the norms of a newer car. You guys in Pennsylvania have those stupid crazy annual inspections you have to pass. I've had friends fail your inspections due to rust pinholes in the body or just small amounts of surface rust. And now I hear that your governor or legislature wants to adopt the more stringent California emission standards? That will be the worst of both car worlds.

...and EVERYTHING is illegal here. absolutely no mods at all are allowed. window tint... ILLEGAL, aftermarket cd player... ILLEGAL, aftermarket wheels... ILLEGAL, bed liner in your pickup truck... yep, it's ILLEGAL... ahhh, fuck Pennsylvania

funny part here... i dont know of one car manufacturer that makes tires so every car in existance is running aftermarket tires... BUT I THOUGHT THAT AFTERMARKET WAS ILLEGAL? how about brakes? sparkplugs?.... ahhh, fuck Pennsylvania

now for the best part... my OBD1 B18B1 swapped CRX HF is 100% legit for emissions because it's from a newer car but it failed the safety inspection the one and only time i ever went for inspection because as soon as the inspection monkey opened the hood he jumped back like it was gonna bite him and said "woah, that doesnt belong in there." my reply was "are you serious? thats how i bought the car." he said "i dont care how you bought it, im not putting a sticker on it. dont bring it back to this garage again." i used this guy for years on all my cars so needless to say, i went a step farther and never took another one of my 5 cars to him, my family quit going to him and i dont point friends in his direction anymore. the crx will never go through another yearly state inspection in Pennsylvania. they can kiss my ass... yep, fuck Pennsylvania

EDIT: wow, we are way off topic with this rant. see what you guys do to me...
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
I've had a first gen since 1991. I drive it because it's a great car. Mines quick (zc swap) but it's not only about performance. you will never be the fastest. my advise to you is stop building the car and start enjoying it. drive it places.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
it sounds like you have the perfect setup car. i have no idea how you could think about getting out of the CRX game

my first (real running) car was an 89 4dr civic. after that it was an 88 accord. after that it was a 91 4dr civic. after that it was a 86 hatch, then it was two CRX's. i have also driven 2nd gen crx's. after all that honda history, looking back, i ask myself if i should have went with another make... chosen something RWD... something more powerful... i say naw.

i am happy with my honda decisions. my 89 taught me to drive (7 or so small wrecks lol)

but once i got my CRX's i never looked back. even with all the downtime, even with my 1300 blowing up on the side of the highway at 4 am. even with my SI on 6 jack stands without a shred of clothing on her stripped naked body lol i still wouldnt give my CRX up without a fight.

even in the condition i bought the SI in for 400 dollars, someone who knew the car in that form as an autoX beater offered to buy it. i told him i wouldnt take less than 1000 and he started to get his checkbook out. i still turned him down. that was just a factory SI engine he was GAGA over.

just yesterday i went and sat down in my 1300 CRX (the one that still has interior)
once i sat down, closed the door and put my hands on the steering wheel... i felt good again. not only do i have so many memories in my CRX (mostly bad ones with my GF) but to me the CRX feels like home. dont ask me why because i couldnt tell you... but when i sit in my REX i feel like i am in the RIGHT car. everything else just feels.... borrowed, because it is!

mad props for getting something different and not a bubble civic. i hate bubble civics. and a hate b series. you deff got a kick ass old school ride and i would rock the fuck out of it for years to come. more and more people will ask you later on down the road about you cool "old" car because they have finally transcended into that category.

oh and on the cali and penn emissions and safety inspection... fuck that shit. aftermarket cd player is illegal? explain this to me... i dont see how thats legal to make illegal....
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (ballade @ Apr 1 2009, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had a first gen since 1991. I drive it because it's a great car. Mines quick (zc swap) but it's not only about performance. you will never be the fastest. my advise to you is stop building the car and start enjoying it. drive it places.

exactly what i did(until the accident). i drive it and enjoy it

ash d-series

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 3g civic
i got rid of my honda and went through about 5 cars and now im back to another 3rd gen because i just couldnt beat the feeling of driving an old cool honda my advice is stick with it because you will only regret selling it
[

86hamstersi

• Get a job loser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1980 yamaha qt50, 2007 civic si sedan(wife's)
    Garage View Garage
LOL. If you get it you will be back. I thought I would just go with something else and now have another 3g civic. Just not a hatch this time. But like everyone here is saying don't do it. You will regret it. But just in case it does go south just donate those cf48's to me for a good cause. ph34r.gif
A grown up living with their parents is a loser.