• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
okay i have an 86 si and im trying to lose some weight on it. it seems really hard to get 200lbs off of it in order to get it to weigh the same as an hf, my si will be gutted and a full interior hf will weigh the same? it doesnt make sense!! the parts with question marks on the end im not sure about....

--lighter parts on hf--

-hollow camshaft
-lighter doors
-lighter flywheel
-no rear sway bar
-1/2 size radiator
-bumper bars
-rims
-non vented frnt. breaks
-aluminum rear drums
-rear axle
-smaller gas tank?
-no sunroof
-less sound deadening
-one side mirror
-no rear spoiler
-no rear wiper
-plastic valve cover
-no 3rd brake light
-no clock
-no rear speakers

do you think all of this could add up to 200lbs? please post anything else you know of.

Edited by rextec, 20 March 2005 - 02:03 AM.

1g Supremacy

Some of those parts could come to quite a bit of saved weight..Axle, lack of a sunroof would be two big ones. Lack of a sunroof means less internal bracing = less weight. Bumper supports and axle are biggies, too. That's probably most of the weight right there in those parts alone.

And depending on year, you've got extra little doodads like the third brake light and the likes..

Does the 86 have the 3rd brake light?

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I heard the sunroof is like 50 pounds in weight savings, then there is that plastic valve cover on the HF that should shave off a few grams.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
ive heard the sun roof assembly weighs about 27 lbs? and yes the 86 does come with a third brake light. well the dx doesnt have alot of this stuff and still weighs in at 100lbs heavier, what gives??

1g Supremacy

DX has heavier rear brakes and stuff. I've also heard stories of the EV1 having an aluminum block, the EWs having a caste block? Don't know how true that is. But it would explain a lot of weight.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
no, all these hondas have aluminum blocks. well it seems like my list is growing and adding up.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
im not sure if its true or not but i have heard that the steel that makes up the body panels (quarter panels, doors, roof) is actually 1 gauge thinner on the HF model. cant forget the aluminum rear drums. no clock or rear speakers. axles are thinner. and wheels, my HF wheels and tires combined seem lighter than most wheels alone.

Edited by crxls, 18 March 2005 - 07:16 PM.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

1g Supremacy

Most DXs don't have rear speakers either..It was a dealer option. Mine doesn't. The HF didn't have a clock?

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
lol my list doubled within minutes!! i plan on getting a digital scale and weighing a bunch of stuff off of my si. i have an 85 dx that im taking the bumper bars and rear hatch off of to save some weight. i may also get an 85 hf as a parts car pretty soon here.

Edited by rextec, 18 March 2005 - 07:18 PM.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1g Supremacy @ Mar 18 2005, 07:16 PM)
Most DXs don't have rear speakers either..It was a dealer option. Mine doesn't. The HF didn't have a clock?

im sure the clock was a factory option. mine just has a blanking plate.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
most of the engine was lighter.I think the flywheel is.

oh and the air cleaner schroud was aluminum.
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

1g Supremacy

What're the chances of me buying some stuff from the red car? I really need things like seats, carpet, verious interior stuff..and your buddy said the interior was pretty clean.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1g Supremacy @ Mar 18 2005, 07:18 PM)
What're the chances of me buying some stuff from the red car? I really need things like seats, carpet, verious interior stuff..and your buddy said the interior was pretty clean.

i will probably end up selling the interior if you would like. i also have the si motor and tranny i just pulled as well as an 87 integra ecu and complete engine with 120000 miles on it id let go fo cheap.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
lets not forget that 1/2 sized radiator (and less coolant?) damn, the more i think the more i can find.

1g Supremacy

I'd take the Si engine for the sedan if I wasn't worried about having to do the same shit for it that I've had to do with the CRX. Pain in the ass.

The interior stuff I'm interested in..What color is the interior? Black?

Edited by 1g Supremacy, 18 March 2005 - 07:41 PM.