Two Questions

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

Tyler_Durden

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Running: 2002 Subaru WRX wagon, Eventually beater/commuter: 1987 Civic Si hatch
OK, the questions are relating to an 87 Civic Si hatch

Question one:
Check Engine Light (actually, the PGM-FI light) comes on after driving for about 10 minutes or so. On my old 92 Integra, I could just jumper some connector and the light would start flashing a code. Is that the same for this car? If so, where can I locate this connector and what are the codes?

Question two:
My brakes don't feel like their slowing the car down until half way thru the pedal stroke. Why? I thought I might be loosing brake fluid somewhere, causing a lack of pedal feel. Not the case, the brake fluid is fine. I have to change the brake booster some time ago. Could that have anything to do with my poor brake performance? I'm kinda at a loss on this one.....

thanks
TD

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
1. The ECU is under the passenger seat. When the PGM-FI light comes on, look under the front of the seat to see the LED that are lit up. Let us know which ones are and we can tell you what is wrong. Also, Chilton and Haynes manuals have the codes in them, as well as the service manuals in the link at the top of the page. No need to jump a connector to get the code.

2. Sounds like your rear brakes may be out of adjustment. Sometimes reversing at about 30km/h and jamming the brakes about 5 times will allow them to adjust properly, or you can pull the wheels and drums off and adjust the star adjuster, then put the drum back on, making sure you have a little bit of drag, that will give you the best result.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Tyler_Durden

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Running: 2002 Subaru WRX wagon, Eventually beater/commuter: 1987 Civic Si hatch
1. I didn't realize the codes could be read off of the ECU! That's kinda cool. Then again, this car is pre-OBD anything. I've got the factory service manuals somewhere...just gotta find them.

Follow-on question: Will the code be stored if I turn off the car? If I turn off the ignition, the light will reset itself....temporarily.

2. That would sort of explain why the brake pedal sort of sinks when I apply the parking brake. I wonder if the rear shoes are shot? Might be a good time to look into the 'Teg rear disc conversion wink.gif

thanks for the help....
TD

Turbo12acer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si
i bet that teh o2 sensor is done on the car.... same thing happened when i got my car... IF light 1 is on then thats what it is..
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tyler_Durden @ May 24 2004, 05:45 PM)
Follow-on question:  Will the code be stored if I turn off the car?  If I turn off the ignition, the light will reset itself....temporarily.

I do remember having to reset my codes, but if the PGM-FI light is on, you are getting a code, so when the idiot light is on, check the ECU.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
just on a side note...

thanks mark for your theory on why his brakes are doing what they were doing...because I read what he said and it basically explained my problem.

Took off the drums, and after closer inspection, my shoes are in pretty rough shape....looks like another time consuming replacement install is soon in order.. thanks! cool.gif

Edited by civtrx, 24 May 2004 - 11:55 PM.

user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

Tyler_Durden

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OK, update to earlier posts:

Check the lights on the ECU this morning on the commute. Light 1 is illuminated. Which, as earlier posted, mean the O2 sensor is gone. I tried to replace this when I first got the car, but it wouldn't budge.

BTW, why are the lights number ' 1 2 4 8' ??

Luckily, a guy here at work happened to have a DC Sports 4-2-1 header lying around for the D15A3 (I know, very odd....I mean what are the chances). Anyways, I picked that up from him. So, I guess I'll just swap out the header and O2 sensor at the same time.

Another question: how much does the O2 sensor affect mileage? I seem to remember getting something in the 35-38 mpg range. Now, it's more like 31-33 mpg.

About the rear brakes, I'll be looking into those this weekend....I hope

thanks again
mike

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If the O2 is bad, then it will tend to run rich, so your mileage would go down.

As for the codes, they are cumulative, so if multiple lights are on, add them up to get the code, i.e. 1, 2 and 4 lit up would be a code 7.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Tyler_Durden

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ May 25 2004, 10:28 AM)
If the O2 is bad, then it will tend to run rich, so your mileage would go down.

Ah, that would explain the black tail pipe. I suspected as much. Just ordered some exhaust manifold gaskets. So, hopefully, I can tackle that this weekend.

Interesting about the engine codes. What if I had more than one code? Is that even possible on these ECUs?

TD

Edited by Tyler_Durden, 25 May 2004 - 10:58 AM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Not sure about multi-codes. It may flash them alternately? The service manual doesn't mention this eventuality.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think if there was more than one code, the ECU would show the code that is first on the list... kinda like an if,then,else type deal.

Hmmm, maybe I should go unplug my O2 and TPS and find out.... wink.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tyler_Durden @ May 25 2004, 10:27 AM)
BTW, why are the lights number ' 1 2 4 8' ??

It is binary, like what you computer uses. By summing the values of the illuminated lights you get a value from 0 to 15.

On my 86 if I turn the car off the code was reset. I would have to drive until it code would reappear. My code was 1 also.

The O2 on my 86 was a B!T<|-| with that heatshield. O2 socket is nearly a must.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
i think you should bleed your breaks man.. probably a bit of air in the lines
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

Tyler_Durden

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ May 26 2004, 02:32 AM)
i think you should bleed your breaks man..  probably a bit of air in the lines

Brakes have been bled, repeatedly. If there is ANY air in the system, I would be VERY impressed.

BTW, does anyone have a source for new brake line (SS or whatever....) I figure with 190K on my car, the brake lines could use a bit of refreshing.

TD

DarKGifT06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda civic 1986 1.3
are you shure that its binary i thought that it was hexidecimal. because its in a sequance up to 8