Building A Custom Axle To Use 2Nd Gen Hubs On A 1St Gen Car

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Looks like my search for a pair of hubs is a bust.  The place that said they had them, I don't think actually has them.  So I'm looking at other options, one of which is figuring out how to use a 2nd gen hub.  From what I can tell, the only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen hubs is the spline count.  The bearing is the same for both gens and so has the same ID and OD so that means the hub has the same OD.

One bright idea is building a custom axle with 23 splines for the transmission output and 26 splines for the hub. 

So far all I've looked at have been the diagrams in the FSM.  It looks to me like the inboard CV joint is very similar between 1st gen and later generations with the 26 spline axles.  That leads me to think that I could swap that part from a 1st gen axle onto a 2nd gen axle and I'd be good to go. 

Does anyone here know 2nd gen and later parts enough to know if this would work?

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

OK, I did a bit of poking around, it looks like the replacement axles are both 25 spline at the transmission end, but the 2nd gen axles are an inch longer.

Hmmm.  Could there be a replacement axle out there that's the same length as the first gen axle?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Andy,

Not quite the same as you are suggesting, but I used the 1st gen axle and swapped the Integra inner CV joint onto it to make a custom axle that mates into my D16A1 swap.

Kirk

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

So the concept seems to work, at least in your case.

The problem seems to be the length of the axle shaft.  The outboard joint cannot be disassembled (or at least the FSM says not to), which means I've got to use the outboard joint and shaft as one unit.  The second gen CRX shafts have the same 25 spline trans output as the 1st gen, but are an inch longer, as are the same vintage Civics and other Civics into the mid 90s.  I don't think that will work, will it?  Two full inches longer counting both sides?

I poked around some more and found Duralast part no 7050N, which is for an 87 Integra and has 27 spline trans and 26 spline hub, and is 23 1/32 long vs 22 29/32 for the CRX axle, only 1/8 inch longer.  So perhaps swapping the inner joint on this would yield a usable axle for the passenger side.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

There are more than plenty enough 1G hubs still left on the west coast. However, if you still want to change your hub out you don't really need to make custom axles per se, just change out the outer cv joint and press in the hub from your second gen and you'll be good to go.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
...So I'm looking at other options, one of which is figuring out how to use a 2nd gen hub.  From what I can tell, the only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen hubs is the spline count.  The bearing is the same for both gens and so has the same ID and OD so that means the hub has the same OD.

One bright idea is building a custom axle with 23 splines for the transmission output and 26 splines for the hub.

Does anyone here know 2nd gen and later parts enough to know if this would work?

I wouldn't use 2nd gen hubs if I were you. Biggest reason (IMO) is because those hubs are actually weaker than the 1st gen hubs are. Another is because I've been seeing posts from folks that are currently racing them mentioning that those hubs are no longer available from Honda either.

As you have discovered, they use the same bearing so the outer diameters are the same, but the diameter of the splines on the CV outer end are a slightly larger diameter than the ones on the EW axles. That makes the wall thickness of the hub thinner. I seriously doubt Honda made them out of a stronger material than the earlier versions when they designed the 88 and later cars.

This would explain the rash of broken hubs from those models when they were raced back then. Also why the OPM guys at the time went to the trouble of selling hardened ones, which did extend the life of them in race situations. I remember a friend of mine had, I believe, three hubs break on his 88 Si when he was racing it. Once when I was at the wheel during an enduro at Road Atlanta, luckily I was going in a straight line at the time so I just coasted to a stop. The worst was when he ended up on his roof in turn 7, again at Road Atlanta, except this time it happened during his SSB Runoffs race.

Not trying to discourage you from trying other options. Just sharing some of my experience.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Remove the boot on the outer cv joint and give it a couple taps with a hammer and it will pop off the splines. There is a circlip that is on the inside and one on the outside that hold it in place. As long as your 2G outer joint has the same inner splines as your axle your good to go. JSProd is right though, 1g hubs are stronger.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

so I guess I'd be better off finding a pair of junkyard hubs than using second gen?

What about using something like 1st gen Integra hubs?

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

so I guess I'd be better off finding a pair of junkyard hubs than using second gen?

What about using something like 1st gen Integra hubs?

You would be in the same boat, crx hubs are stronger but if you go 1g integra you would need the integra outer cv. (larger hub ID).

CSPCRX

This scares me more and more.  Less and less parts to keep our cars running!

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

I know.  The one thing I don't want is to put a lot of money into improvements only to have to park it because of the lack of availability of some stupid little part.  This car is way too much fun for that to happen.  I may just end up buying a complete spare car just for parts.

I've got a 1969 Buick and I used to think parts were hard to find for that.  Heck, I just replaced the water pump this spring and managed to find a reman with original aluminum GM casting.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

I got two CRX hubs (Ill never use) for shipping.  The local pick-n-pull just got an 86 civic i need to go gander at. 

You're down West Memphis way if i recall so shouldn't be too bad on postage.